Kanako Murakami | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Kanako Murakami

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Sharing this translation of Kanako's interview shortly after Worlds where she spoke of her state of mind at Nationals and her preparation for the coming Worlds.

An excerpt:

Kanako: Even though I worked the hardest ever in the preparations for Nationals, I did flawed skates. From that I learned I didn't work the hardest and I need to work even harder. In the preparations for Worlds I'll work on fixing my jumps. Wish I'll do well and be free from mistakes on jumps.

Credit and thanks to rosewood of FSUniverse.

skatefan22, Thanks for all the lovely links to those Kanako pics and videos. She really is a lovely and refreshing presence.

skatefan22

Medalist
The age ceremony of Sendai is held today (Jan 12). Wonder when is the ceremony of Nagoya. But since Kana is busy with Mao, Nobu, Akiko at SOI, I am not sure if she is attending the ceremony...

Meoima

Match Penalty
The age ceremony of Sendai is held today (Jan 12). Wonder when is the ceremony of Nagoya. But since Kana is busy with Mao, Nobu, Akiko at SOI, I am not sure if she is attending the ceremony...
In Japan it's still Jan 11, but it's Sunday so maybe they celebrated that already. Tomorrow people have to go to work anyway.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Shizuka Arakawa encourages Kanako Murakami
In the latest Going TV show, Shizuka Arakawa gave Kanako her support: ” When I was 20, I didn’t achieve any good result either. But I managed to improve when I was 22-23 and get the Olympics Gold afterwards. Kana will be 23 at next Olympic, I will cheer for her.”
http://yuzu-ice.tumblr.com/post/107825804949/shizuka-arakawa-encourages-kanako-murakami

Thanks for the information. I'm glad that Shizuka gave Kanako such encouraging words. :)

I want Kanako to also be a two-time Olympian like Mao, Akiko, and Shizuka herself. Documentary about Shizuka's Olympic win , which is simply inspirational.

Sharing also this post by matmuh in the Team Japan thread:

translation of the interviews of satoko,wakaba and kanako after japan nationals, thanks to ohlovesosweet
seems like kanako was really depressed after short program , i am glad veterans was there to help her:clap:

Excerpt:

"I was exhausted and drained after the SP. I was feeling depressed unsure if I was able to get through the next day. I fell asleep unsure what I was going to do, nearly crying myself to sleep. I dragged myself up in the morning, and it seemed like I had no other options but to run away from it all. Obviously, my mom and coaches were helping me through this tough time, but so did Mao-chan and Akko-chan and Oda-kun, too. They all told me to “Ganbare.” My fans also. I’m so thankful for everyone to have their support."

Poor baby. So proud of her that she stood her ground and fought and made it to the Worlds team.

Re her jumps:

"I can’t ignore the underrotation calls. I have to look them over again one by one. The judging was severe here so I have to practice to be on the other side of it. I have to fix my jumps. There weren’t any mistakes in the judging, the calls were just really strict. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to fix my jumps in time for Worlds, but I’ll do my best.

My jumps aren’t great, but I feel I have a better sense of the ice underneath my skates. Other than the jumps, I felt really calm and secure out there. I think I will be okay once I get my jumps together.
"

Ah, those UR calls on her jumps have been the bane of Kanako's competitive career. I really hope Machiko Yamada can find a solution...

skatefan22

Medalist
I feel sad for her. But getting a break after worlds is not a good sign of her commitment. I have to prepared myself for her retirement announcement then.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I feel sad for her. But getting a break after worlds is not a good sign of her commitment. I have to prepared myself for her retirement announcement then.

Oh dear did Kanako say she's going to take a break from skating after Worlds and what kind and how long of a break will it be?

Still recovering from Tatsuki...

lbc2138

On the Ice
It's all up to Kana. It's all whether her heart is still in this. I would hate to see her skate out of obligation because the main reason why I enjoy her programs is the pure joy she puts into them (even if they're sad and dark). I don't know if she will ever have the "fire in her belly" competitive spirit to outlast the bouts of young girls climbing through the ranks but I will continue to root and cheer for her indefinitely :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
it's all up to kana. It's all whether her heart is still in this. I would hate to see her skate out of obligation because the main reason why i enjoy her programs is the pure joy she puts into them (even if they're sad and dark). I don't know if she will ever have the "fire in her belly" competitive spirit to outlast the bouts of young girls climbing through the ranks but i will continue to root and cheer for her indefinitely :)

ita.

skatefan22

Medalist
Oh dear did Kanako say she's going to take a break from skating after Worlds and what kind and how long of a break will it be?

Still recovering from Tatsuki...

Yes, that link you posted says so. Sigh...By the way, Kana seemed to be only celebrating her coming-of-age in ice show with Mao, Nobu and Akiko. She is wearing a purple dress, which I think the same one in nagoya festival.

EDIT: SOI twitter account has uploaded a group pic of skaters celebrating Kanako's coming-of-age ceremony.
https://twitter.com/starsonice/status/554732583519395841/photo/1

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yes, that link you posted says so. Sigh...By the way, Kana seemed to be only celebrating her coming-of-age in ice show with Mao, Nobu and Akiko. She is wearing a purple dress, which I think the same one in nagoya festival.

Sorry, so she did and spoke of the chance to rest and restart, but she also said she is not totally sure about her commitment for the next season. In any case, I wish her splendid skates at Worlds.

3:48 and 6:10 marks of this video. I just love her!!! :cry: :love: :cry: :cheer:

http://youtu.be/VzYTlccJ8ro

Thank you for the link. I agree with all your emoticons.

makaihime

Final Flight
Its not great to think about but unlike Shizuka, Kanako's problem is her UR's. Even if she fixes it in time, the judges have already established her as an chronic URer and will have a bias against her. She might be able to improve her rankings within Japan but internationally, I don't see her acheiving too much :no: If she continues, it will be because of her love for the sport; like Akiko. But I hope like Akiko, she'll prove everyone wrong (including me) and land on the world podium at least once :yay: I really do love watching her on and off the ice, like a little ray of sunshine :biggrin:

lbc2138

On the Ice
Its not great to think about but unlike Shizuka, Kanako's problem is her UR's. Even if she fixes it in time, the judges have already established her as an chronic URer and will have a bias against her. She might be able to improve her rankings within Japan but internationally, I don't see her acheiving too much :no: If she continues, it will be because of her love for the sport; like Akiko. But I hope like Akiko, she'll prove everyone wrong (including me) and land on the world podium at least once :yay: I really do love watching her on and off the ice, like a little ray of sunshine :biggrin:

Agreed! I'm glad Shizuka is encouraging her though, it's hard to have a tough mindset when skaters that are around 4+ years younger are pushing you off the podium. There's a beauty and grace that comes with time, even if technicality never comes, Kana grows more and more beautiful as a skater.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Agreed! I'm glad Shizuka is encouraging her though, it's hard to have a tough mindset when skaters that are around 4+ years younger are pushing you off the podium. There's a beauty and grace that comes with time, even if technicality never comes, Kana grows more and more beautiful as a skater.

Well if you think about it, Mao was 8 years younger than Shizuka. And same is the case that Yuzuru and Daisuke. And Machida with Shoma. The think is that it will always be someone younger.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Well if you think about it, Mao was 8 years younger than Shizuka. And same is the case that Yuzuru and Daisuke. And Machida with Shoma. The think is that it will always be someone younger.

Haha of course. I was thinking of the perspective in that it was always Mao or Akiko that was usually beating her on a national level and them being a older than her so it was "okay". But this time I think it was a bit jarring for Kana to not be on the podium at all considering she was at the top last year going in minus the presence of Mao and Akiko.