Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Kanako Murakami

What about her now? After her Olympic diappointment, will she continue? Will it depend on her Worlds result?

Custom Title
    Kanako has so much potential just like her contemporary Yuzuru. She even won a GP title ahead of him. She also is quite a personality. Pretty and bubbly, she truly deserves the Sunshine Princess of Team Japan tag given her.

Still she has some ways to go regarding her jumping technique which at times looks ungainly and is prone to underrotation. I have read an interview with her coach Machiko Yamada where the latter candidly wondered aloud whether she has done all she can for Kanako. Maybe the JSF can do for Kanako what it did for Yuzuru by sending her overseas for training. The question is whether Kanako will be willing to pull up stakes like Yuzuru did.

In any case, I hope she regains her 4CC winning form in the World Championships and makes it to the podium. Looking beyond Worlds, I feel she and Mao both have another Olympics in them.

Custom Title
    Kanako is lovely. I look forward to seeing her growth as a skater. She is feisty, energetic, and has pretty good skills. I hope she fixes the high-kick for toe jumps. She's such a pleasure to watch.

Custom Title
    As a prospective fan, a few things I'd like to see her improve on:

Skating skills - deeper edges would be great if she could incorporate them with her speedy footwork
    Jumping techniques - she has a habit of rotating her landing foot no matter what. It leaves an impression of UR even when she fully rotated a jump. High-kick on toe jumps should be fixed as well as flutz.
    Choreo - I think she is mature enough to develop a more enduring personality besides youthful exuberance.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    If I interpret her words on twitter correctly she's inclined to continue. She doesn't know if it's just for one more season or the whole quad yet, but she will do her best. She has regrets and knows she can do better than that, still has energy left in her. Thank God, I'm so happy. There is more to Kanako than what the tech panel made us believe. Like I said, I'm not sure if that's correct, my japanese is rusty.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    If I interpret her words on twitter correctly she's inclined to continue. She doesn't know if it's just for one more season or the whole quad yet, but she will do her best. She has regrets and knows she can do better than that, still has energy left in her. Thank God, I'm so happy. There is more to Kanako than what the tech panel made us believe. Like I said, I'm not sure if that's correct, my japanese is rusty.
    She is lively and very daring on ice. I have to say she is somewhat more masculine than her childhood friend Hanyu. I like her gut, what a pity she was underscored in worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Oh so glad to know that. She was so close to the podium in previous Worlds that this year's scores must have been such a disappointment for her. Good she looks at it as a challenge to continue and do better. If Mao was able to rework her jumping technique, she definitely can too!

I'm glad to hear she is going to continue a little bit longer! She is a delight and I know she has some more good stuff left in her!

Banned
    I think Kanako will not retire

Custom Title
    Why is she even considering retirement..? That's a shock to me. I thought her senior debut was a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    Why is she even considering retirement..? That's a shock to me. I thought her senior debut was a year ago.
    She debuted as a senior in the 2010-2011 season , so no it wasn't last year!

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    She debuted as a senior in the 2010-2011 season , so no it wasn't last year!
    Still, she's 19, not turn 20 yet. She will be 23 in the next Olympic. And at this age she doesn't look like she is suffering from injuries.

Custom Title
    I'm not so sure I want her to continue. She is too young to retire for sure. But let's face it, she has too many issues to fix in a short period of time. Her jumps need major works. Her low PCS has been a sign that she wasn't one of the judges' favourite lately. Even with Yentl, which btw is one of my favourite programs this season, she couldn't pull it off.She stated recently about not enjoy the pressure of competition and want to enjoy a normal student life.

Next season, even without Mao and Akiko, she still has to fight Miyahara for Japan's No.1 spot. Imai looks better and better too. It won't be a cakewalk for sure. Still, hope she'll prove me wrong.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    With Mao and Akiko gone you think she has to fight against Miyahara for Number 1? No way. Satoko is no judges pet and has mini jumps. Have you seen her results this season? And Haruka as lovely as she is isn't getting younger either and is far from Kanako's powerful style. Kana won 4 Continents over all these ladies, remember? She also beat World Champion Mao Asada just in December. I think Japan should be very worried if the trinity of Mao & Akiko & Kanako ALL leave after this season! Why is she considered a hopeless skater after a few bad results, which are debatable anyway?
    Last edited by MaiKatze; 04-01-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Does anyone have a solid grasp on her coaching situation?

I'm glad she's continuing because there's no point in her calling it quits. She hasn't been performing horribly but she hasn't been consistently improving either. I love her feistiness and I really liked her programs this season!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast