Kanako Murakami | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kanako Murakami

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
If I interpret her words on twitter correctly she's inclined to continue. She doesn't know if it's just for one more season or the whole quad yet, but she will do her best. She has regrets and knows she can do better than that, still has energy left in her. Thank God, I'm so happy. There is more to Kanako than what the tech panel made us believe. Like I said, I'm not sure if that's correct, my japanese is rusty. ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
If I interpret her words on twitter correctly she's inclined to continue. She doesn't know if it's just for one more season or the whole quad yet, but she will do her best. She has regrets and knows she can do better than that, still has energy left in her. Thank God, I'm so happy. There is more to Kanako than what the tech panel made us believe. Like I said, I'm not sure if that's correct, my japanese is rusty. ;)
She is lively and very daring on ice. I have to say she is somewhat more masculine than her childhood friend Hanyu. :popcorn: I like her gut, what a pity she was underscored in worlds.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Oh so glad to know that. She was so close to the podium in previous Worlds that this year's scores must have been such a disappointment for her. Good she looks at it as a challenge to continue and do better. If Mao was able to rework her jumping technique, she definitely can too!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm glad to hear she is going to continue a little bit longer! She is a delight and I know she has some more good stuff left in her!

usethis2

Medalist
Why is she even considering retirement..? That's a shock to me. I thought her senior debut was a year ago.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why is she even considering retirement..? That's a shock to me. I thought her senior debut was a year ago.

She debuted as a senior in the 2010-2011 season , so no it wasn't last year!

Meoima

Match Penalty
She debuted as a senior in the 2010-2011 season , so no it wasn't last year!
Still, she's 19, not turn 20 yet. She will be 23 in the next Olympic. And at this age she doesn't look like she is suffering from injuries.

BusyMom

Medalist
I'm not so sure I want her to continue. She is too young to retire for sure. But let's face it, she has too many issues to fix in a short period of time. Her jumps need major works. Her low PCS has been a sign that she wasn't one of the judges' favourite lately. Even with Yentl, which btw is one of my favourite programs this season, she couldn't pull it off.She stated recently about not enjoy the pressure of competition and want to enjoy a normal student life.

Next season, even without Mao and Akiko, she still has to fight Miyahara for Japan's No.1 spot. Imai looks better and better too. It won't be a cakewalk for sure. Still, hope she'll prove me wrong.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
With Mao and Akiko gone you think she has to fight against Miyahara for Number 1? No way. Satoko is no judges pet and has mini jumps. Have you seen her results this season? And Haruka as lovely as she is isn't getting younger either and is far from Kanako's powerful style. Kana won 4 Continents over all these ladies, remember? She also beat World Champion Mao Asada just in December. I think Japan should be very worried if the trinity of Mao & Akiko & Kanako ALL leave after this season! Why is she considered a hopeless skater after a few bad results, which are debatable anyway?

Last edited:

lbc2138

On the Ice
Does anyone have a solid grasp on her coaching situation?

I'm glad she's continuing because there's no point in her calling it quits. She hasn't been performing horribly but she hasn't been consistently improving either. I love her feistiness and I really liked her programs this season!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^I agree. Seems Kanako has plateaued, while her competitors, specially the Russians, have gotten better. At 19, now is really the time for Kanako to make her breakthrough to the very top of ladies' skating. I don't want her to leave skating with regrets.

lbc2138

On the Ice
^I agree. Seems Kanako has plateaued, while her competitors, specially the Russians, have gotten better. At 19, now is really the time for Kanako to make her breakthrough to the very top of ladies' skating. I don't want her to leave skating with regrets.

She has this nasty habit of UR and has a peculiar way in going about her toe jumps... I'm not sure if she can adjust it at this level but I haven't given up on her yet. I wonder if the JSF would be willing to invest in her a little more and maybe send her overseas somewhere (sort of what they did with Yuzu)? Especially with Akiko's retirement and Mao's (maybe) retirement, what's going to happen for next season for Team Japan Ladies?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
She has this nasty habit of UR and has a peculiar way in going about her toe jumps... I'm not sure if she can adjust it at this level but I haven't given up on her yet. I wonder if the JSF would be willing to invest in her a little more and maybe send her overseas somewhere (sort of what they did with Yuzu)? Especially with Akiko's retirement and Mao's (maybe) retirement, what's going to happen for next season for Team Japan Ladies?

Re that, I heard Jonathan Breyer (an opera singer who is also a skating afficionado, go figure) even comment in The Skating Lesson that Kanako was sort of like T. Rex (perhaps referring to the way her arms are bent at the elbow) going into her jumps and then there is that "mule kick" (sigh).

Actually I have posted in another thread that I would love to have Kanako join Yuzuru with Brian Orser :).

lbc2138

On the Ice
Re that, I heard Jonathan Breyer (an opera singer who is also a skating afficionado, go figure) even comment in The Skating Lesson that Kanako was sort of like T. Rex (perhaps referring to the way her arms are bent at the elbow) going into her jumps and then there is that "mule kick" (sigh).

Actually I have posted in another thread that I would love to have Kanako join Yuzuru with Brian Orser :).

Haha wouldn't that be ideal. The BOrser squad could use a girl with all that testosterone running between Javi, Yuzu and now Nam.

But wouldn't BOrser be a bit too stretched? He's already teaching World medalists and the Junior World Champion turned senior. I have no idea who'd I'd send Kanako to haha.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Someone who can help her with the jumps. With Mao's looming retirement, ther JSF should now focus on Kanako. Kanako herself should do some soul-searching about her skating. To be the best you have to be committed heart, body, and soul, and Kanako need not look far (Mao and Yuzuru) to see that. Until the last two years, she has sort of kept pace with Yuzuru (both of them were world junior champions in 2010 and she made the Japanese national team and won her first (and only) GP title even before he did), but Yuzuru has now shot off to another level.

Re Mr. Orser, I think right now he's beating off potential students :). I read parents are now emailing him videos of their children skating and asking for his opinion.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Someone who can help her with the jumps. With Mao's looming retirement, ther JSF should now focus on Kanako. Kanako herself should do some soul-searching about her skating. To be the best you have to be committed heart, body, and soul, and Kanako need not look far (Mao and Yuzuru) to see that. Until the last two years, she has sort of kept pace with Yuzuru (both of them were world junior champions in 2010 and she made the Japanese national team and won her first (and only) GP title even before he did), but Yuzuru has now shot off to another level.

Re Mr. Orser, I think right now he's beating off potential students :). I read parents are now emailing him videos of their children skating and asking for his opinion.

Yeah I would think so, considering that Orser's able to harness the potential out of the skaters quite early on (they're all quite young). He's also good at spotting potential more than anything and pushing their boundaries, even if it means programs that they need to grow into.

I hope the JSF does focus on her, it seems like she may need a little boost in terms of morale. Soul-searching is definitely the right word, what is she really skating for?

I remember from an old video, before his move to Canada that Yuzu would like to keep his relationship with Kana by continually pushing each other to win and stand at the podium. But like you mentioned, Yuzu's on a whole other level and honestly he doesn't seem as close with her as he was before his move to Canada, which is understandable (but it makes me sad since they knew each other since they were 8).

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Yes, Yuzuru and Kanako do go a long way back. I read an article about Kanako where news just got in about the 3/11/11 earthquake, and the reporter described her as visibly worried because there was no word yet as to whether Yuzuru survived. Recently, I saw a video of Kanako clapping in the stands after Yuzuru's record setting Olympic SP score was announced, and a picture of them hugging each other shortly after he won the gold medal, Yuzuru still in his Weir costume and Kanako in her Team Japan uniform.

Yuzuru needs friends like Kanako who knew him before he became such a big star. I always smile when I recall her response to the query as to whether Yuzuru was a funny boy. She said no he is not a funny boy, complimented him on his triple axel and skating but went on to say she feels he likes to look good (show off) more than a little. When Yuzuru was informed of her response, he was flabbergasted and asked why Kanako would say such a thing publicly, but said (and this is so Yuzuru) he could not deny it because it is true. Kanako I think understands Yuzuru's make-up very well, and I hope she can draw lessons from that to make her own recipe for skating success. For me she has the goods, and it will be a shame if she could not skate to her full potential.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Kanako had some trouble in the beginning of this season and peaked in the middle. Then she probably underestimated the Olympic Pressure and underperformed/ was overshadowed by others at the Olympics. At Worlds she seemed uneasy as well. This season her programs were the problem for me. While her long was ok, but not really groundbreaking the short was horrible and probably destroyed a lot for her with the judges. Imho, she should have gone back to last seasons short which was not only one of the most beautiful ever, it helped her get those extra points in the second half of the program. I'm not so sure if it is plateauing with Kanako. She in my eyes, also lost the judges favour, maybe because of the newcomers. Look at the scores from last years World Kanako got about 64 points for her short, Yuna 69. This year at Worlds Pogo got 66 points for her short and Gracie Gold 70. It just seems that some people are the anointed ones, while others have to suffer. But like I said, if Kanako is gone from the scene the japanese ladies team will suffer and it will be very hard to get 3 spots in the following year.

By the way, I'm not sure if Kanako will change her coach. I think she is very happy with Yamada. I'm happy that she isn't so focused on figure skating that she doesn't see that there are other options in life, but it would be hard blow to the japanese ladies to loose her.

BusyMom

Medalist
Why is she considered a hopeless skater after a few bad results, which are debatable anyway?
I didn't see her as a hopeless case. My point of view is just another angle. The competition results is the end results. Skaters' life involves more than just a competition. Trainings, lessons, media frenzy, making the team, fan's expectations and keeping up with a new veterans are bigger parts in skating. Too many skaters stated in their interviews that they would love to quit skating so badly but couldn't due to their obligations to either their families or their countries. Whatever her decisions will be, I wish her best of luck and happiness.