Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Kanako Murakami

Custom Title
    ^I agree. Seems Kanako has plateaued, while her competitors, specially the Russians, have gotten better. At 19, now is really the time for Kanako to make her breakthrough to the very top of ladies' skating. I don't want her to leave skating with regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    ^I agree. Seems Kanako has plateaued, while her competitors, specially the Russians, have gotten better. At 19, now is really the time for Kanako to make her breakthrough to the very top of ladies' skating. I don't want her to leave skating with regrets.
    She has this nasty habit of UR and has a peculiar way in going about her toe jumps... I'm not sure if she can adjust it at this level but I haven't given up on her yet. I wonder if the JSF would be willing to invest in her a little more and maybe send her overseas somewhere (sort of what they did with Yuzu)? Especially with Akiko's retirement and Mao's (maybe) retirement, what's going to happen for next season for Team Japan Ladies?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lbc2138 View Post
    She has this nasty habit of UR and has a peculiar way in going about her toe jumps... I'm not sure if she can adjust it at this level but I haven't given up on her yet. I wonder if the JSF would be willing to invest in her a little more and maybe send her overseas somewhere (sort of what they did with Yuzu)? Especially with Akiko's retirement and Mao's (maybe) retirement, what's going to happen for next season for Team Japan Ladies?
    Re that, I heard Jonathan Breyer (an opera singer who is also a skating afficionado, go figure) even comment in The Skating Lesson that Kanako was sort of like T. Rex (perhaps referring to the way her arms are bent at the elbow) going into her jumps and then there is that "mule kick" (sigh).

Actually I have posted in another thread that I would love to have Kanako join Yuzuru with Brian Orser .

Re that, I heard Jonathan Breyer (an opera singer who is also a skating afficionado, go figure) even comment in The Skating Lesson that Kanako was sort of like T. Rex (perhaps referring to the way her arms are bent at the elbow) going into her jumps and then there is that "mule kick" (sigh).

Actually I have posted in another thread that I would love to have Kanako join Yuzuru with Brian Orser .
    Haha wouldn't that be ideal. The BOrser squad could use a girl with all that testosterone running between Javi, Yuzu and now Nam.

But wouldn't BOrser be a bit too stretched? He's already teaching World medalists and the Junior World Champion turned senior. I have no idea who'd I'd send Kanako to haha.

Custom Title
    Someone who can help her with the jumps. With Mao's looming retirement, ther JSF should now focus on Kanako. Kanako herself should do some soul-searching about her skating. To be the best you have to be committed heart, body, and soul, and Kanako need not look far (Mao and Yuzuru) to see that. Until the last two years, she has sort of kept pace with Yuzuru (both of them were world junior champions in 2010 and she made the Japanese national team and won her first (and only) GP title even before he did), but Yuzuru has now shot off to another level.

Re Mr. Orser, I think right now he's beating off potential students . I read parents are now emailing him videos of their children skating and asking for his opinion.

Someone who can help her with the jumps. With Mao's looming retirement, ther JSF should now focus on Kanako. Kanako herself should do some soul-searching about her skating. To be the best you have to be committed heart, body, and soul, and Kanako need not look far (Mao and Yuzuru) to see that. Until the last two years, she has sort of kept pace with Yuzuru (both of them were world junior champions in 2010 and she made the Japanese national team and won her first (and only) GP title even before he did), but Yuzuru has now shot off to another level.

Re Mr. Orser, I think right now he's beating off potential students . I read parents are now emailing him videos of their children skating and asking for his opinion.
    Yeah I would think so, considering that Orser's able to harness the potential out of the skaters quite early on (they're all quite young). He's also good at spotting potential more than anything and pushing their boundaries, even if it means programs that they need to grow into.

I hope the JSF does focus on her, it seems like she may need a little boost in terms of morale. Soul-searching is definitely the right word, what is she really skating for?

I remember from an old video, before his move to Canada that Yuzu would like to keep his relationship with Kana by continually pushing each other to win and stand at the podium. But like you mentioned, Yuzu's on a whole other level and honestly he doesn't seem as close with her as he was before his move to Canada, which is understandable (but it makes me sad since they knew each other since they were 8).

Custom Title
    ^Yes, Yuzuru and Kanako do go a long way back. I read an article about Kanako where news just got in about the 3/11/11 earthquake, and the reporter described her as visibly worried because there was no word yet as to whether Yuzuru survived. Recently, I saw a video of Kanako clapping in the stands after Yuzuru's record setting Olympic SP score was announced, and a picture of them hugging each other shortly after he won the gold medal, Yuzuru still in his Weir costume and Kanako in her Team Japan uniform.

Yuzuru needs friends like Kanako who knew him before he became such a big star. I always smile when I recall her response to the query as to whether Yuzuru was a funny boy. She said no he is not a funny boy, complimented him on his triple axel and skating but went on to say she feels he likes to look good (show off) more than a little. When Yuzuru was informed of her response, he was flabbergasted and asked why Kanako would say such a thing publicly, but said (and this is so Yuzuru) he could not deny it because it is true. Kanako I think understands Yuzuru's make-up very well, and I hope she can draw lessons from that to make her own recipe for skating success. For me she has the goods, and it will be a shame if she could not skate to her full potential.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Kanako had some trouble in the beginning of this season and peaked in the middle. Then she probably underestimated the Olympic Pressure and underperformed/ was overshadowed by others at the Olympics. At Worlds she seemed uneasy as well. This season her programs were the problem for me. While her long was ok, but not really groundbreaking the short was horrible and probably destroyed a lot for her with the judges. Imho, she should have gone back to last seasons short which was not only one of the most beautiful ever, it helped her get those extra points in the second half of the program. I'm not so sure if it is plateauing with Kanako. She in my eyes, also lost the judges favour, maybe because of the newcomers. Look at the scores from last years World Kanako got about 64 points for her short, Yuna 69. This year at Worlds Pogo got 66 points for her short and Gracie Gold 70. It just seems that some people are the anointed ones, while others have to suffer. But like I said, if Kanako is gone from the scene the japanese ladies team will suffer and it will be very hard to get 3 spots in the following year.

By the way, I'm not sure if Kanako will change her coach. I think she is very happy with Yamada. I'm happy that she isn't so focused on figure skating that she doesn't see that there are other options in life, but it would be hard blow to the japanese ladies to loose her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Why is she considered a hopeless skater after a few bad results, which are debatable anyway?
    I didn't see her as a hopeless case. My point of view is just another angle. The competition results is the end results. Skaters' life involves more than just a competition. Trainings, lessons, media frenzy, making the team, fan's expectations and keeping up with a new veterans are bigger parts in skating. Too many skaters stated in their interviews that they would love to quit skating so badly but couldn't due to their obligations to either their families or their countries. Whatever her decisions will be, I wish her best of luck and happiness.

Custom Title
    I read that Kanako is very close to Machiko Yamada and even joins the latter's family on vacations so it will definitely be harder for Kanako to change coaches and go overseas for training which is what Mao (who also used to be under Machiko Yamada) and Yuzuru did. Actually it all depends on Kanako and what she wants from her life and her skating.

I also think Kanako was pretty unlucky this season with boot problems and then had to go back to her 2011-2012 Violin Muse SP before Japan Nationals because she had problems in her original SP and thus did not fare well in her 2013 GP assignments. In 2012 Worlds, she was in a very strong position to win it all after the SP but like in this year's Worlds, the judges were very hard on her technical score in her FP and she finished off the podium. I think before JSF would squarely put their clout behind her ("annoint" her as the Japanese no. 1 if Mao retires), they would want to know if she plans to stay longer in skating. Anyway, I wish her all the best! She is a lovely girl, and I think, as demonstrated in this year's 4CC, a great talent.

Team Japan Auntie figureskateobasan's Avatar
    I think because the media labeling her as mao jr or something so she can't really find her own style. also feel like she doesn't really have any desire to be more than she can be..
    but that's just my opinion.

Kanako doesn't have a big killer instinct, her mindset is probably not comparable to the likes of Julia Lipnitskaia, that is a known fact. For me that is her personality and part of her charm. It is probable that this will hold her back, but not every skater out there needs to be better, faster, higher. If she carries on, that is admirable and if she stops she also had a great career with GP medals and even small medals at two World Championships. Not something a lot of skaters can claim for themselves. I feel a bit weird though, to defend her in this section of GS all the time, because this is her Fan Fest thread and posters who don't see her as something special should think twice about posting here. Because the Fan Fest is about the celebration of Kanako, the skater. Of course, criticism is allowed, but it shouldn't be the main gist here.

For me she has the goods, and it will be a shame if she could not skate to her full potential.
    Same, nothing more heart-breaking than to see lost potential. But we're just fans, what can we do besides discuss? :(

Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    I feel a bit weird though, to defend her in this section of GS all the time, because this is her Fan Fest thread and posters who don't see her as something special should think twice about posting here. Because the Fan Fest is about the celebration of Kanako, the skater. Of course, criticism is allowed, but it shouldn't be the main gist here.
    Would you like to start a new thread then? I didn't see where else I could express my concerns on Kana.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with being concerned about Kanako here. But it didn't feel very positive the last few pages and I just wanted to point that out, before it got out of hand. It felt like "She is bad at this, this AND this. She should do that, that and THAT." The beauty of Kanako and her good points are far outweighing the bad and in the other fan fest threads the members are fans and praise the skater, I wanted that too for Kanako. Keep on discussing, because this thread was pretty quiet when Kanako had better days. I'm actually glad people want to discuss her now, so pay not to much attention to me. I was too emotional, because I wanted to defend her.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast