Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

R.D.

Record Breaker
An aside...Gold beat Wagner in the SP for the 1st time at WTT, although it was only by about a point. (Both had mistakes)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd forgotten...but I think it means a little more this time around considering the context.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm happy Ashley went for the 3/3 in the SP, but something about the way she lands the first jump makes it look almost impossible for her to do the second jump cleanly. I'm not an expert but it almost looks like the timing of her toe pick is off, either too early or too late. Or maybe she has a problem like Adelina where her landing is too forward? I'd like to hear what someone more knowledgable than I thinks.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'd forgotten...but I think it means a little more this time around considering the context.

Actually the situation is very similar, both times Gracie was slightly ahead and both times Ashley tried the 3-3 but fell on another jump. So idk. I still think a clean Ashley even with a 3-2 would place ahead of a clean Gracie with a 3-3 in the SP. But in the FS a clean Gracie should win due to her harder content and GOEs.

Matilda

Medalist
Ashley for sure. I hope she masters the 3-3 by then.

I hope Agnes becomes more consistent. When she's on, her jumps are stellar, and imo she beats Gracie in performance and interpretation.

It'll probably be Gracie, and that's fine--she's got tons of potential--but in all honesty, I'd love to see Christina Gao in the Olympic team.

R.D.

Record Breaker
So idk. I still think a clean Ashley even with a 3-2 would place ahead of a clean Gracie with a 3-3 in the SP.

It might be closer than you think.

The only way for Wagner to assure she stays ahead will be to get that 3-3 consistent and clean. Somehow I doubt she can do so.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley will continue to beat Gracie internationally until Gracie improves her presentation. Gracie can easily beat Ashley on TES, but Ashley gets the higher PCS scores.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley will continue to beat Gracie internationally until Gracie improves her presentation. Gracie can easily beat Ashley on TES, but Ashley gets the higher PCS scores.

Even though Ashley skated clean Gracie still would have beaten her overall and in the LP if she hadn't doubled her last jump. Unless Ashley gets a 3-3 combo if Gracie improves her presentation marks just a little she will be tough to beat considering she has Ashley beat on jumps speed and spins already.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
now at pre Olympics Gracie is closing the Gap with Ashley
I fully expect Gracie to beat Ashley and be US No.1 lady by Sochi

1 Gracie
2 Ashley
3 ???? a toss up between Zawadzki, Gao or maybe Mirai

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie needs to work on one thing this off season. Learning to really perform to the music and not skate right through it and also learn how to emote to the crowd. It's obvious that she's not a natural performer or musical but these things can be worked on.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
So typical of Wagner, went back to safe layout. For what? So she can win silver or bronze at some stupid event? No 2A-3T, no 3F-3T? What a joke. This girl just wants Ralph Lauren freebies for being an Olympics athlete. Who cares about her. Send someone else who wants to win.

Trewyn

Medalist
So typical of Wagner, went back to safe layout. For what? So she can win silver or bronze at some stupid event? No 2A-3T, no 3F-3T? What a joke. This girl just wants Ralph Lauren freebies for being an Olympics athlete. Who cares about her. Send someone else who wants to win.

The Ralph Lauren freebies joke? Not the first time I've seen you make that one on these boards. And quite an insipid joke at that.

As to the 'safe layout', that's the layout she's been practising all season, why change it? She should have gone for the 3T after the 2A but the landing on the 2A wasn't good enough. She's had this problem before, so we haven't even seen that combo properly performed all season. That's something she'll need to work on. But there's absolutely no sense to the logic that 'she skated conservatively for a stupid 2nd place finish at some cheesefest instead of skating to "win"'. She helped garner 'team gold' and why take the risk injuring yourself a la Menshov when there was no need? She still pulled off a season's best (6th highest FS score of any skater this season).

I think she shows more competitive drive and hunger to 'win' than any of the other US ladies the past six years. Maybe Gold can change that and maybe Ashley will answer the threat, we'll see.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice

Did Ashley steal your boyfriend or something? These comments are bizarrely catty in a very personal way

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She's been talking about "big guns" since last year. If you don't think it is a safe layout, no point in arguing. She needs to put out the big guns every single time in order to feel comfortable enough. I hate talks and this girl is all talk. Who cares if she can place 6th? She will retire soon after, why invest in a sinking stock?

If it is personal, she wont be able to do single axel afterward. :)

Nothing is wrong with wanting RL goodies. I'm calling a spade a spade.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley's 3/3s haven't been successful---she gets UR calls on them and the 2a+3t as well. Perhaps she feels a clean skate is worth more than a flawed one with UR calls.

Look at Sotnikova---she went for 3/3 and 2a+3t and she got URd from 1st to 4th.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ashley's 3/3s haven't been successful---she gets UR calls on them and the 2a+3t as well. Perhaps she feels a clean skate is worth more than a flawed one with UR calls.

Look at Sotnikova---she went for 3/3 and 2a+3t and she got URd from 1st to 4th.

Don't you think it is odd she can't rotate the 3t? Her flip is a strong jump
She looks strong. What's so hard about rotating the 3t? Plenty of girls can do it. Old gals like caro and akiko can do it. Is it speed? Is it technique?

There is some fundamental issue with her technique and someone in her team should.figure it out. Dartfish next?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Don't you think it is odd she can't rotate the 3t? Her flip is a strong jump
She looks strong. What's so hard about rotating the 3t? Plenty of girls can do it. Old gals like caro and akiko can do it. Is it speed? Is it technique?

There is some fundamental issue with her technique and someone in her team should.figure it out. Dartfish next?

To me it seems Ashley does not have great flow coming out of her jumps, and she seems to land forward. (Maybe the two are related.) Most of the women who do 3/3s do a 3T/3T; adding a 3T to a flip or lutz seems a lot harder, and Adelina shows this. She usually has success with the 3T-3T and usually doesn't struggle to rotate the second jump, whereas the opposite is true for her 3Z-3T combo. Maybe Ashley could do a 3T-3T.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even though Ashley skated clean Gracie still would have beaten her overall and in the LP if she hadn't doubled her last jump. Unless Ashley gets a 3-3 combo if Gracie improves her presentation marks just a little she will be tough to beat considering she has Ashley beat on jumps speed and spins already.

But Gracie did double her last jump. This is like saying that Sasha Cohen would have beaten Michelle Kwan at Nationals in 1999, 2000, 2001,2005, etc., if she hadn't fallen. Gracie desperately needs new choreography and work on her artistry. I was lukewarm on her Life is Beautiful program (love the music) and have hated everything else she has done, choreo-wise. She is an exciting jumper but leaves much to be desired on the performance side. She actually kind of reminds me of Sarah Hughes in her demeanor and performance. But Sarah, of course, is an Olympic gold medalist, so maybe Gracie can just keep doing what she is doing. I hope not, though.