Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 295

Thread: Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Witts 88 Olympic and World titles were such a complete farce I just disregard them altogether. So really she has 3 World titles and 1 Olympic Gold as far as I am concerned.

  2. #182
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    True. Katarina Witt has a better competitive record than Michelle: 2 OGM, 4 Worlds; 6 Europeans.
    Much as I like and admire Katarina--her personality, her self-discipline, her consistency--I'd rather watch one program of Michelle's than all the award-winning programs Witt ever skated.

  3. #183
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,982
    Gao, Edmunds, and Gold or Wagner

    know that is highly unlikely as it would mean one of Gold or Wagner not making it, but I just love Gao and Edmunds.

  4. #184
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,694
    Fantasy aside, would this Edmunds girl even be old enough for Sochi?

  5. #185
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,694
    BTW, if Gold or Wagner is injured/unable to go, that's it, another spot opens up. Of course, that also means the extra spot will be lost anyway, so whomever it is better enjoy the heck out of it.

    A petition is always possible in that case, but I'm not sure it would be successful (even if it is, she's gonna pull out anyway).

  6. #186
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Fantasy aside, would this Edmunds girl even be old enough for Sochi?
    Yes, I do believe so. Her birthday is listed as May 18, 1998, so she will turn 15 before the July 1 cutoff.

    Of course, QUALIFYING for the Olympics is a different matter entirely.

  7. #187
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,694
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Yes, I do believe so. Her birthday is listed as May 18, 1998, so she will turn 15 before the July 1 cutoff.
    She was born May 1998? Damn, I feel old already

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Gao, Edmunds, and Gold or Wagner

    know that is highly unlikely as it would mean one of Gold or Wagner not making it, but I just love Gao and Edmunds.
    in that case who would you want to make it more out of Wagner or Gold. Wagner since it might be her last shot at the Games, or Gold who is "probably" a better medal hope than Wagner for the U.S the way things look now.

  9. #189
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,235
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Gao, Edmunds, and Gold or Wagner

    know that is highly unlikely as it would mean one of Gold or Wagner not making it, but I just love Gao and Edmunds.
    Edmunds has an inconsistent UR problem (she's very borderline on the second jump and so sometimes gets it and sometimes doesn't) so far AND she's a far likelier bet AFTER Sochi to make the World team (also this will be her first international Junior season...)

  10. #190
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,657
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    She was born May 1998? Damn, I feel old already
    oh my lord, what???? I was just getting used to Olympic competitors being born in the early 90s. Geez, by the NEXT cycle Olympians will have been born in the 2000s! How did that happen?

  11. #191
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    oh my lord, what???? I was just getting used to Olympic competitors being born in the early 90s. Geez, by the NEXT cycle Olympians will have been born in the 2000s! How did that happen?
    Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves I doubt that Edmunds, without any international JUNIOR experience, will spontaneously sprout wings, fly up the ranks, and qualify for the Olympics next year. As mskater93 said, she has technical weaknesses--edge calls on the 3F and a recurring UR problem that NEEDS to be fixed ASAP. She looked absolutely lovely in her flowing white FS costume at Junior Nationals, but she isn't the breakthrough star that Gracie Gold was, and she probably won't even attempt to skate in the 2014 Senior Nationals. Edmunds' time will come in 2018, in Pyeongchang.

    But yes. It's almost terrifying how time flies, right?

  12. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,187
    Gao, Zawadski, then Gold or Wagner

  13. #193
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Why do all threads become a yuna kim thread seriously?
    My thoughts exactly!

  14. #194
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    BTW, if Gold or Wagner is injured/unable to go, that's it, another spot opens up.
    It doesn't necessarily open a spot, it didn't with Flatt in 2011, and it didn't with Czisny in 2012!

  15. #195
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves I doubt that Edmunds, without any international JUNIOR experience, will spontaneously sprout wings, fly up the ranks, and qualify for the Olympics next year. As mskater93 said, she has technical weaknesses--edge calls on the 3F and a recurring UR problem that NEEDS to be fixed ASAP. She looked absolutely lovely in her flowing white FS costume at Junior Nationals, but she isn't the breakthrough star that Gracie Gold was, and she probably won't even attempt to skate in the 2014 Senior Nationals. Edmunds' time will come in 2018, in Pyeongchang.

    But yes. It's almost terrifying how time flies, right?
    Edmunds has already competed as a junior at US Nationals for 3 seasons and won the title this seasons so I'm pretty sure she will compete at senior Nationals next season...and she is a breakthrough star like Gracie Gold she's just younger and breaking out a year later and USFS already jumped on the Gracie Gold bandwagon so they are not going to treat Polina the same way, there's not time for her to become established enough to be a big hope for Sochi. There's a small chance she could make the team, but only as a 3rd entrant and not one USFS would really be expecting much from. Gracie is good but I'm not convinced she's way better than a lot of the other girls, she just happened to break onto the scene at the right time when USFS needed a go-to ladies star and no one else was a strong bet so they went with her and her PCS astronomically increased over the course of a few months time (without her artistry visibly improving dramatically IMO).

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •