Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Like Miki, Ashley is a fighter and is confidence in her ability to consistently land jumps. She'll work hard and train the hard tricks and put them out there when she needs them. I think now she's getting the memo she needs them so I think we will see her trying.
    Both are fighters (ambitious, determined), but there is a major difference. Miki was a jumping prodigy, the only lady on record who landed a ratified quad salchow--as a junior--at Junior World's no less! I don't believe she ever duplicated this as a senior. She was always admired for her beautiful jumps, and as her skating matured she developed a beautiful style and artistry. I remember Ashley well--when she placed third to Marai's first & to Caroline's second as juniors at 2007 Spokane Nationals. She was aggressive and fearless in her skating. That trio swept the medals a few weeks later at Junior World's only Caroline took the gold, Marai second, and again, Ashley in third. Flash forward 6 years, and Ashley garnered Gold at Nationals and her Jr. World's colleagues were competitors but didn't medal--a testament to Ashley's consistent drive!

As to Ashley's 3/3 combo and 2x/3....I yearn for her success with them. It seems as they've been in process during most of this past season with a brave attempt (unsuccesful) of the 2x/3t at the recent World's. I believe that she has to be comfortably successful with both, early in the upcoming season if she has any hopes of hitting them at Nationals, even more so at Olympics. She has developed a beautiful artistry over the years AND if she can achieve those tough combos, she should be a serious medal contender at Olympics.

Ashley is an artist, not a great jumper, but she seems to follow the kwan rules for success. I love her skating. She lacks speed when you put her next to caro, yuna, akiko, gracie. I wish she could improve in that area as it is so valued. I remember when Irina was the fastest lady flying into her jumps.

Ashley reminds me a bit of Kwan, with more detailed, nuanced choreo of course and I wish there were a place for skaters like Janet Lynn. Speed is only great if you are creating elegance in my book.

Banned
    Ashley is still not the artist Kwan was, nor has the garnered the love and respect from the judges achieved through many years of success that Kwan has, so she cant follow Kwan's formula for success. She has to push the envelope technically more than did this year. Anyway she is competing in a whole new system, against a way stronger technical field of women than Kwan ever had to compete against.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I'll go for Wagner, Gold, and Nagasu, as long as they are all uninjured and are skating well next season. Much as I hate to admit it, I still prefer watching Nagasu on a bad day vs Zawadski, Zhang, Flatt, etc. on their good days. Gao is a nice skater but skates too intellectual for my taste, she's just missing the "it" factor and therefore has limited upside....also limited downside. Czisny is done for health reasons alone--I don't think we'll see her back except for a few halting tries at competitions in the fall. Unless something miraculous happens, I don't think the Hicks, Miller, Wang, etc. contingent are going to be able to pull it up to where they need to be...try for 2018 ladies, when you will all still be young yet more seasoned.
    Yeah, I don't think that Miller and Wang have the scoring potential to place in the top three. But I could be wrong.

Custom Title
    Gracie and Ashley. The third spot is a toss-up between Alissa, Agnes, Mirai

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Ashley reminds me a bit of Kwan, with more detailed, nuanced choreo of course and I wish there were a place for skaters like Janet Lynn.

Down With It
    Wagner and Kwan are very different skaters...but perhaps some of the differences are beginning to get muddier...

For example, being able to get away with lesser tech content and still do reasonably well. Being risk-averse.

I would have said Wagner is a much more athletic type of skater, and I guess she still is to some degree, but she really seems to be trying her hardest to get away from that (to my disappointment but we won't go there)

Still, when it comes down to it, even keeping in mind different eras they really are in different classes. MK was virtually ALWAYS a gold medal contender. Wagner doesn't even have a world medal of any color after 6 years, nor has she ever contended for one...

Down With It
    An aside...Gold beat Wagner in the SP for the 1st time at WTT, although it was only by about a point. (Both had mistakes)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    An aside...Gold beat Wagner in the SP for the 1st time at WTT, although it was only by about a point. (Both had mistakes)
    No, Gracie beat Ashley in the SP at WTT last year too.

Down With It
    I'd forgotten...but I think it means a little more this time around considering the context.

Custom Title
    I'm happy Ashley went for the 3/3 in the SP, but something about the way she lands the first jump makes it look almost impossible for her to do the second jump cleanly. I'm not an expert but it almost looks like the timing of her toe pick is off, either too early or too late. Or maybe she has a problem like Adelina where her landing is too forward? I'd like to hear what someone more knowledgable than I thinks.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I'd forgotten...but I think it means a little more this time around considering the context.
    Actually the situation is very similar, both times Gracie was slightly ahead and both times Ashley tried the 3-3 but fell on another jump. So idk. I still think a clean Ashley even with a 3-2 would place ahead of a clean Gracie with a 3-3 in the SP. But in the FS a clean Gracie should win due to her harder content and GOEs.

Custom Title
    Ashley for sure. I hope she masters the 3-3 by then.

I hope Agnes becomes more consistent. When she's on, her jumps are stellar, and imo she beats Gracie in performance and interpretation.

It'll probably be Gracie, and that's fine--she's got tons of potential--but in all honesty, I'd love to see Christina Gao in the Olympic team.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    So idk. I still think a clean Ashley even with a 3-2 would place ahead of a clean Gracie with a 3-3 in the SP.
    It might be closer than you think.

The only way for Wagner to assure she stays ahead will be to get that 3-3 consistent and clean. Somehow I doubt she can do so.

Custom Title
    Ashley will continue to beat Gracie internationally until Gracie improves her presentation. Gracie can easily beat Ashley on TES, but Ashley gets the higher PCS scores.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Ashley will continue to beat Gracie internationally until Gracie improves her presentation. Gracie can easily beat Ashley on TES, but Ashley gets the higher PCS scores.
    Even though Ashley skated clean Gracie still would have beaten her overall and in the LP if she hadn't doubled her last jump. Unless Ashley gets a 3-3 combo if Gracie improves her presentation marks just a little she will be tough to beat considering she has Ashley beat on jumps speed and spins already.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast