Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 296

Thread: Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

  1. #46
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Is there a reason to debate Ashley and Gracie? The USFSA has already purchased them thank you gifts for earning back three spots. That gift: round-trip tickets to Sochi.

    Alissa Czisny is the classiest U.S. skater since Michelle Kwan, both in style and in spirit. I am biased: I saw Alissa at Skate America (my first live competition). But her 2010 LP was the best American ladies LP since Kwan's TOSCA. So full of life and choreographic detail. Its strengths almost overshadowed how ugly skating requirements have become.

    Seeing her possibly triumphant GONE WITH THE WIND program before the inevitable ending was heartbreaking.

    Alissa may not deserve a spot, but I hope my damned she earns one.

    And if not her, Mirai. Why? Probably for the same reason. Sentiment.

    But Christina is very good too.

    (My first post: took me years.)

  2. #47
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyie View Post
    Is there a reason to debate Ashley and Gracie? The USFSA has already purchased them thank you gifts for earning back three spots. That gift: round-trip tickets to Sochi.

    Alissa Czisny is the classiest U.S. skater since Michelle Kwan, both in style and in spirit. I am biased: I saw Alissa at Skate America (my first live competition). But her 2010 LP was the best American ladies LP since Kwan's TOSCA. So full of life and choreographic detail. Its strengths almost overshadowed how ugly skating requirements have become.

    Seeing her possibly triumphant GONE WITH THE WIND program before the inevitable ending was heartbreaking.

    Alissa may not deserve a spot, but I hope my damned she earns one.

    And if not her, Mirai. Why? Probably for the same reason. Sentiment.

    But Christina is very good too.

    (My first post: took me years.)
    Welcome!

  3. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    That was my point.
    If she wants a spot on the Olympics spot, then do whatever she's doing now.
    If she wants a medal, then she needs a 3x3, and a smarter layout.

    She's someone who can't afford to throw away any fraction of a point. So a 3T-2A in her program is a stupid idea. It doesn't accomplish anything more than what she can do now.
    Her flutz is well known, so doing a flutz combo and get guaranteed -GOE is also another stupid idea. If you two-foot and get -GOE, then that's fine. Why work on a combo that will get you -GOE immediately at take off?
    Her best jump is her 3F. Why not work on 3x3 with a 3F? Start doing them even at Liberty. Don't wait until big event to pull it out.
    OK I agree then. She should work on a 3 flip-3 toe combo, or maybe even a 3 flip-3 loop combo as 3 loop is another strong jump for her. She should start doing them early in the season too. She once did do a 3 lutz-3 loop combo and did it well, but she never seemed to do them again after 2008.

  4. #49
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    OK I agree then. She should work on a 3 flip-3 toe combo, or maybe even a 3 flip-3 loop combo as 3 loop is another strong jump for her. She should start doing them early in the season too. She once did do a 3 lutz-3 loop combo and did it well, but she never seemed to do them again after 2008.
    She should begin attempting 3F+3T from the beginning of the season, showing everyone that she's able to do it (or, at least, that she's trying it); her SP scores could suffer a bit, at the beginning, but she would benefit from it in the long term, I think.

  5. #50
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    4,006
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    She's someone who can't afford to throw away any fraction of a point. So a 3T-2A in her program is a stupid idea. It doesn't accomplish anything more than what she can do now.
    It does accomplish more than what she can do now, since she can never actually do a perfect LP with 3-3 or 2Axel-3Toe.

    I disagree with your idea of her being someone who needs to focus on big jump combinations in the LP. She is capable of getting very good +GOE on all her elements and high PCS.

    Your statement doesn't really make sense anyway because nobody can "afford to throw away" points. Everything is Risk vs Reward.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Why work on a combo that will get you -GOE immediately at take off?
    Because base value and rep points for the SP could be worth it. She definitely needs to be doing a 3-3 in the SP, though, whether it's 3F-3T or 3Lz-3Lo.

  6. #51
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,548
    Omitting the 3/3 in the LP make sense only if your 3/3 is prone to UR.

    Otherwise, there's another sort of WOW factor, I think, in going for the 3/3T in the LP even though in terms of BV it's the same (or even safer) as doing a 2A+3T. Kinda like why Carolina went for the 3F+3T and Yuna did a 3Lz+3T in the free skate at Worlds. Both of these girls could have more easily done a 2A+3T instead of a difficult 3/3T, but they chose otherwise.

    Is that asking too much of Ashley? Is it beyond her abilities to consistently rotate a 3/3? I mean, we are talking about a strategy for targetting the Olympic podium, right? Considering the most likely top 3 girls are expected to do a hard 3/3 or a 3A in the free skate, Ashley's not gonna be competitive against them with only a 3/3 in the SP.

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It does accomplish more than what she can do now, since she can never actually do a perfect LP with 3-3 or 2Axel-3Toe.

    I disagree with your idea of her being someone who needs to focus on big jump combinations in the LP. She is capable of getting very good +GOE on all her elements and high PCS.

    Your statement doesn't really make sense anyway because nobody can "afford to throw away" points. Everything is Risk vs Reward.
    It makes perfect sense because nobody can afford to throw away points. So Ashley shouldn't be throwing away points to do 3T-2A. It does not get her to the next level. If she's content with going to the Olympics, then she doesn't need to do anything else. If she wants a podium finish, doing 3T-2A won't get her there. No Risk, no reward. There's no vs. for Ashley, she will have to risk everything.

    Because base value and rep points for the SP could be worth it. She definitely needs to be doing a 3-3 in the SP, though, whether it's 3F-3T or 3Lz-3Lo.
    Of course we know that. I'm not saying she should not do 3x3. I'm saying she should not do 3Flutz-combo. Negative GOE no matter what is not something you want to start out with. Same reason Yuna switch her 3F-3T to 3Lz-3T.

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Is that asking too much of Ashley? Is it beyond her abilities to consistently rotate a 3/3? I mean, we are talking about a strategy for targetting the Olympic podium, right? Considering the most likely top 3 girls are expected to do a hard 3/3 or a 3A in the free skate, Ashley's not gonna be competitive against them with only a 3/3 in the SP.
    I don't think it's too much for her. She landed one or two 3F-3T last season. If Akiko can bring a 3x3 that late in her career, Ashley should be able to. And she did.
    The problem is her team thinks she's Carolina Kostner, can scale down the TES and win. Well, even Carolina Kostner can't do what Carolina Kostner did, what makes a vastly inferior skater thinks she can?

  9. #54
    Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    625
    This is a toughie, because there are tons of U.S. ladies I just adore. I'd love to see Alissa Czizny, but I don't have 100% confidence we'll see her back competing next season. It's just a gut feeling I have and I certainly hope she proves it wrong - she's a class act.

    I could (and would like to see) Ashley, Agnes and Gracie on their way to Sochi, but there about 5 or 6 others I'd love to see go too (including Christina).

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Another combo she should consider is the 3F-Lo-3Sal. Her 3Sal is ok, not that strong, but not that weak. Her 3F is strong. Do this combo at the beginning. Less likely to be UR, and if I recall correctly, she doesn't two foot her 3Sal too much, right?

  11. #56
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Alissa should be in the DNR group. Do.Not.Resuscitate.

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    I'm glad to read that Gracie has stopped growing! She's going, then. Why was she in 9th after the short program at World's? Her performance wasn't linked like the rest of them, and of course I'm part of the 99% without Universal Sports so I didn't actually see it live. I assumed that she had made a mistake. She also didn't do well at 4CC. I don't see where she's consistent at all, especially in her short program.
    Gracie had a weird landing on her 3z+3t in the SP---her 3t was called UR, and she got an edge call on her flip. Then she fell out of one of her spins. She scored 58.85 and was 9th, but only 3.25 points behind Asada in 6th place. She more than made up for the SP with her FS, where she landed 7 triples and placed 5th (6th overall).

  13. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Chances of making the Olympics team

    Gracie Gold - 80%
    Wagner - 40%

    Alissa Czisny - 40% if she lands back her jumps she's in
    Zawadzki - 30% the love affair and overpromotion will continue which I will never understand

    20%
    Gao , Miller, Hicks and Mirai

    0 %
    Caroline Zhang

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,981
    I'd love to see Gold, Wagner and Gao. Mirai and Agnes haven't really done it for me. I'm glad they got that 3rd spot because now Gao will likely be committed to making sure it's her rather than fighting off Gold or Wagner for #2.

    As much as I love Alissa, I think it would be a big error to send her to the Olympics. There's no way she could compete at the level needed to earn a medal, without a 2A-3T or 3-3, which I highly doubt she will attain within a year. She was excellent in the first part of the the past quadrennial, but unfortunately for her, she just won't cut it now that the whole pack has recovered from the post-Vancouver technical slump (well, sort of).

  15. #60
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Chances of making the Olympics team

    Gracie Gold - 80%
    Wagner - 40%

    Alissa Czisny - 40% if she lands back her jumps she's in
    Zawadzki - 30% the love affair and overpromotion will continue which I will never understand

    20%
    Gao , Miller, Hicks and Mirai

    0 %
    Caroline Zhang
    But the percentages don't add up to 100..haha! But yes I think USFSA love Gold so much that she has the biggest chance, despite her inconsistencies.

    I really want Gao, Wagner, and Czisny to make the team though. Yet who knows what will happen!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •