Thread: Chan: I truly believe I deserved to win

Hybrid View

Tripping on the Podium

News Chan: I truly believe I deserved to win

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...served-to-win/

I really don't like the attitude that PChan has in this article...maybe the tone was not conveyed well in writing, but there's a lot of arrogance, especially in that last part: saying how the other skaters didn't "capitalize" on his mistakes. "And I'm sure [Denis] is kicking himself today"? Um. No. Patrick.

Then again, he hasn't had the best quotes in the past through the media, I just wish he stops giving interviews like this...

Custom Title
    Well I'll play devil's advocate here. I actually felt sorry for Patrick when all the criticism started coming in. And he's right - there were two programs, not just one, and he skated the short program extremely well. He's also right that the other contenders did not take advantage of his mistakes! Denis Ten double/doubled what should have been a triple/triple - and that might have made the difference.

Does anybody honestly think the guy is going to say - "gee, I shouldn't have won. Give my medal to someone else?" I didn't find his comments arrogant - just a guy defending himself.

But what Patrick needs to do now is go out and skate lights out every time he's on the ice. That will shut people up.

Banned
    The comment there is also a short program would have made sense if the other guy had done a really weak short. However Ten also skated a wonderful short program, in addition to a long program way better than Chan, and thus obviously should have beaten him. The there is also a short program comment only applies to guys like Fernandez and Hanyu who also clearly should have beaten Chan in the LP (but didnt, but proof Chan should not have had the LP score to stay ahead of Ten overall as a LP score even below Fernandez would not have done that) but who Chan deserved to finish above due to the SP. While Chan`s LP was overscored by atleast 10 points, his SP while outstanding should also have been in roughly the 95 area, not nearly 100.

Rinkside
    I think Chan is just not smart enough. What he should have said is "Denis is a wonderful skater, and he also deserves to win.... Javier delivered two wonderful programs....blahblahblah..."

But somehow, I start to like Chan more because of his honesty.

Custom Title
    Just because you're a world-class skater and quick on your feet doesn't mean you're a world-class interview and quick-witted. I think Patrick said what he felt - and more power to him. BUT - IMO Patrick clearly, clearly outclassed the rest of the field with his short program. Again, whether you like the guy or not.....he won! Everybody has a chance at him next year! I'm hoping Patrick uses this as a wake-up call, gets himself a skating coach again and goes back to the basics.

Custom Title
    I personally thought he was tight in the SP and had to fight for the jumps to land them cleanly. So I don't think he outclassed Dennis in the SP, although Chan still got great +GOE for those jumps that were clean but weren't his best.

It's just frustrating that the COP haven't given us championship performances that we are going to look back on years from now. Four major errors is too many and IMO you cannot do everything else well enough to compensate for those mistakes. I blame the judging system solely for this; the judges' hands are tied and they have to mark what they see, and Patrick just skates the best he can.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Just because you're a world-class skater and quick on your feet doesn't mean you're a world-class interview and quick-witted. I think Patrick said what he felt - and more power to him. BUT - IMO Patrick clearly, clearly outclassed the rest of the field with his short program. Again, whether you like the guy or not.....he won! Everybody has a chance at him next year! I'm hoping Patrick uses this as a wake-up call, gets himself a skating coach again and goes back to the basics.
    No, he didn't win. Stupid juding system and corrupt judges gave it to him. Patrick is the most overscored skater of recent history. He's also a complete i****, and said that his opponents, like Denis, made the same amount of mistakes as him. Not to mention the bad things he used to say about Plushenko and Joubert. "Quad isn't everything", he used to say. Now, he can only rely on his quads, because he falls all the time in everything else. He always give stupid interviews, and feels that he actually deserved his 2 last titles. Deluded or hypocrite?, Seriously, it's not only pangtongfan who hates him, most of the figure skating fans can't stand patrick or his victories anymore.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The comment there is also a short program would have made sense if the other guy had done a really weak short. However Ten also skated a wonderful short program, in addition to a long program way better than Chan, and thus obviously should have beaten him. The there is also a short program comment only applies to guys like Fernandez and Hanyu who also clearly should have beaten Chan in the LP (but didnt, but proof Chan should not have had the LP score to stay ahead of Ten overall as a LP score even below Fernandez would not have done that) but who Chan deserved to finish above due to the SP. While Chan`s LP was overscored by atleast 10 points, his SP while outstanding should also have been in roughly the 95 area, not nearly 100.

Correct. 100 per cent.

I think it is interesting that Hanyu's long program had some really amazing moments and has largely gone un-noticed. When I saw it and then Chan's skate, I too thought that Hanyu's skate was noticeably better than Chan's.