Chan: I truly believe I deserved to win | Golden Skate

Chan: I truly believe I deserved to win

sapphiresky

Rinkside
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...ing-worlds-i-truly-believe-i-deserved-to-win/

I really don't like the attitude that PChan has in this article...maybe the tone was not conveyed well in writing, but there's a lot of arrogance, especially in that last part: saying how the other skaters didn't "capitalize" on his mistakes. "And I'm sure [Denis] is kicking himself today"? Um. No. Patrick.:rolleye:

Then again, he hasn't had the best quotes in the past through the media, I just wish he stops giving interviews like this...

noskates

Record Breaker
Well I'll play devil's advocate here. I actually felt sorry for Patrick when all the criticism started coming in. And he's right - there were two programs, not just one, and he skated the short program extremely well. He's also right that the other contenders did not take advantage of his mistakes! Denis Ten double/doubled what should have been a triple/triple - and that might have made the difference.

Does anybody honestly think the guy is going to say - "gee, I shouldn't have won. Give my medal to someone else?" I didn't find his comments arrogant - just a guy defending himself.

But what Patrick needs to do now is go out and skate lights out every time he's on the ice. That will shut people up.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The comment there is also a short program would have made sense if the other guy had done a really weak short. However Ten also skated a wonderful short program, in addition to a long program way better than Chan, and thus obviously should have beaten him. The there is also a short program comment only applies to guys like Fernandez and Hanyu who also clearly should have beaten Chan in the LP (but didnt, but proof Chan should not have had the LP score to stay ahead of Ten overall as a LP score even below Fernandez would not have done that) but who Chan deserved to finish above due to the SP. While Chan`s LP was overscored by atleast 10 points, his SP while outstanding should also have been in roughly the 95 area, not nearly 100.

Jay Jay

Spectator
I think Chan is just not smart enough. What he should have said is "Denis is a wonderful skater, and he also deserves to win.... Javier delivered two wonderful programs....blahblahblah..."

But somehow, I start to like Chan more because of his honesty.

noskates

Record Breaker
Just because you're a world-class skater and quick on your feet doesn't mean you're a world-class interview and quick-witted. I think Patrick said what he felt - and more power to him. BUT - IMO Patrick clearly, clearly outclassed the rest of the field with his short program. Again, whether you like the guy or not.....he won! Everybody has a chance at him next year! I'm hoping Patrick uses this as a wake-up call, gets himself a skating coach again and goes back to the basics.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I personally thought he was tight in the SP and had to fight for the jumps to land them cleanly. So I don't think he outclassed Dennis in the SP, although Chan still got great +GOE for those jumps that were clean but weren't his best.

It's just frustrating that the COP haven't given us championship performances that we are going to look back on years from now. Four major errors is too many and IMO you cannot do everything else well enough to compensate for those mistakes. I blame the judging system solely for this; the judges' hands are tied and they have to mark what they see, and Patrick just skates the best he can.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The judges are +3 happy in GOEs for Chan. His spins all get that, you would think he is a way better spinner than Lambiel, when in fact he is a weaker one. His jumps that even look shaky or tired get that, his last double axel in the Worlds LP which he barely hung onto even got some, LOL! With scoring like that no wonder he has a 6 fall cushion on the field.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well Pangtongfan, you've spread your dislike of allthingsPatrickChan in any and every thread with his name in it. Must be tiring.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Just because you're a world-class skater and quick on your feet doesn't mean you're a world-class interview and quick-witted. I think Patrick said what he felt - and more power to him. BUT - IMO Patrick clearly, clearly outclassed the rest of the field with his short program. Again, whether you like the guy or not.....he won! Everybody has a chance at him next year! I'm hoping Patrick uses this as a wake-up call, gets himself a skating coach again and goes back to the basics.

No, he didn't win. Stupid juding system and corrupt judges gave it to him. Patrick is the most overscored skater of recent history. He's also a complete i****, and said that his opponents, like Denis, made the same amount of mistakes as him. Not to mention the bad things he used to say about Plushenko and Joubert. "Quad isn't everything", he used to say. Now, he can only rely on his quads, because he falls all the time in everything else. He always give stupid interviews, and feels that he actually deserved his 2 last titles. Deluded or hypocrite?, Seriously, it's not only pangtongfan who hates him, most of the figure skating fans can't stand patrick or his victories anymore.

Leonardo

Final Flight
I personally thought he was tight in the SP and had to fight for the jumps to land them cleanly. So I don't think he outclassed Dennis in the SP, although Chan still got great +GOE for those jumps that were clean but weren't his best.

It's just frustrating that the COP haven't given us championship performances that we are going to look back on years from now. Four major errors is too many and IMO you cannot do everything else well enough to compensate for those mistakes. I blame the judging system solely for this; the judges' hands are tied and they have to mark what they see, and Patrick just skates the best he can.

The problem is not only the COP. When Takahashi makes mistakes, his pcs decrease a lot. He has some of the best interpretation and coreography of the field, but always scores below Chan. And when Chan makes serious mistakes, he still gets pcs almost in the 90's. It's ridiculous overscoring.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
his arrogance is taking into a new low
can't wait for him to have pies handed to his face and
Yuzuru kicking his sorry falling butt

Victura

On the Ice
From the article:
"I would for sure admit that I didn’t skate my best but … inflation? I don’t believe in it. I think if they have a problem with it, they should talk to the judges and not blame me. I’m just going out there trying to do my job.

“If I gave my own marks, I definitely would criticize myself a lot more, but that’s just the perfectionist in me. But I deserved every point that I got, and worked hard for it.’’

Like many media stories, the most sensationalist quote gets highlighted. But the above shows that Patrick himself is very aware of his mistakes and even rightly said that he would've criticized himself more were he giving himself the marks. Honestly, what would you do in his situation? There's nothing he can do to prevent the judges from giving him high marks, and he seemed as surprised as anyone in the kiss and cry when his scores came up.

Personally, I just don't think that the men's competition was particularly noteworthy this year, and pretty much no one was completely clean - including Denis, who had a wonderful skate but doubled a few triples.

Personally, I just don't think that the men's competition was particularly noteworthy this year, and pretty much no one was completely clean - including Denis, who had a wonderful skate but doubled a few triples.

One triple.

Denis did 4T, 3A+3T, 3A, 3Lz+2T+2T, 2F+2T, 3S, 3Lo, and 2A, after doing 3T, 3A, and 3F+3T in the short, with positive GOE on all 20 elements in both programs combined, jumps and non-jump elements alike.

Patrick fell twice (3Lz and 3A), messed up his 3F combo (-2 GOEs across the board), and doubled his second Lutz.

Patrick's response, according to this article:

I don’t think I made more (mistakes) than Denis did...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That 2F+2T was supposed to be 3F+3T, actually. So if we take the average of "one" and "a few", we have a correct answer. ^_^

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*facepalm*

Someone get Patrick to a crash course in "sometimes, it's really better to keep quiet and let people think you're arrogant, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I'm sure he was just answering questions on his feet...but he really would be better off not saying these sorts of things. They don't help him any.

spikydurian

Medalist
*facepalm*

Someone get Patrick to a crash course in "sometimes, it's really better to keep quiet and let people think you're arrogant, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I'm sure he was just answering questions on his feet...but he really would be better off not saying these sorts of things. They don't help him any.

Well karne .... what do you think he should have said if he is posed this question: some people don't think you deserve to win?
Maybe he should have said... "yes yes yes I am a bad skater"? He has the right to give his own opinion and explanation as to why he earned those points. When you compete for a job at an interview, you must convince why you are a better candidate by comparing yourself against other competitors and meeting of the selection criteria. How else can the panel know you are the preferred candidate? And that is what Patrick is doing. I don't see anything wrong with that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well karne .... what do you think he should have said if he is posed this question: some people don't think you deserve to win?
Maybe he should have said... "yes yes yes I am a bad skater"? He has the right to give his own opinion and explanation as to why he earned those points. When you compete for a job at an interview, you must convince why you are a better candidate by comparing yourself against other competitors and meeting of the selection criteria. How else can the panel know you are the preferred candidate? And that is what Patrick is doing. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Maybe what he should have said, if the question was posed in that way, is something like, "Not everyone will be happy with every result."

But to flat-out say he deserved it and to then outright lie by saying that Ten made just as many mistakes as he did is NOT a good look.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Let's not forget this is the same guy who apologized to the crowd for skating poorly (something he's done in the past as well). I'm not going to pretend that everything he said in that interview was right, but I think he's handling the criticism pretty well, especially considering he shouldn't have to be defending himself at all. Regardless of what people think, he did win, and we have no right to rag on him for a result that he had nothing to do with (the judges score the programs, not him). Besides, he seems to possess a spectacular ability for putting his foot in his mouth during interviews without seeming to realize he's doing it at the time, something the media (at least here in Canada) loves to capitalize on. Let's cut the guy a bit of slack. Had he lost, I doubt he's be whining about how he should have won (like so many have done before him). JMO.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The judges are +3 happy in GOEs for Chan. His spins all get that, you would think he is a way better spinner than Lambiel, when in fact he is a weaker one. His jumps that even look shaky or tired get that, his last double axel in the Worlds LP which he barely hung onto even got some, LOL! With scoring like that no wonder he has a 6 fall cushion on the field.

Where?! So you've gotten used to write irresponsibly, haven't you?! He did not get a single +3 GOE from any judge in spins in LP! He got no GOE from one judge on first spin. No GOE from two judges on the second spin. The first two spins were level 3. Only the last spin was level 4.

In his world record SP, first spin had no +3 GOE from any judge. He got one 0 GOE. In second spin, he got only two +3 GOE out of nine judges. In the last spin, again he got only two +3 GOE out of nine judges. But he has managed to get level 4 on all three spins.

spikydurian

Medalist
Maybe what he should have said, if the question was posed in that way, is something like, "Not everyone will be happy with every result."

But to flat-out say he deserved it and to then outright lie by saying that Ten made just as many mistakes as he did is NOT a good look.
"Not everyone will be happy with every result" is a vague answer and yes he has said something like that before but still particularly some people are not still not happy. It is obvious that whatever he says, some people will not be happy unless he disappears from the face of the earth. And isn't it true that had Ten or even Xavier were perfect in both skates, they could have beaten Chan overall?

I believe Chan is not the only skater who had implied that 'I deserve to win'. You know who. :biggrin: