Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chan: I truly believe I deserved to win

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    *facepalm*

Someone get Patrick to a crash course in "sometimes, it's really better to keep quiet and let people think you're arrogant, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I'm sure he was just answering questions on his feet...but he really would be better off not saying these sorts of things. They don't help him any.
    Well karne .... what do you think he should have said if he is posed this question: some people don't think you deserve to win?
    Maybe he should have said... "yes yes yes I am a bad skater"? He has the right to give his own opinion and explanation as to why he earned those points. When you compete for a job at an interview, you must convince why you are a better candidate by comparing yourself against other competitors and meeting of the selection criteria. How else can the panel know you are the preferred candidate? And that is what Patrick is doing. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Well karne .... what do you think he should have said if he is posed this question: some people don't think you deserve to win?
    Maybe he should have said... "yes yes yes I am a bad skater"? He has the right to give his own opinion and explanation as to why he earned those points. When you compete for a job at an interview, you must convince why you are a better candidate by comparing yourself against other competitors and meeting of the selection criteria. How else can the panel know you are the preferred candidate? And that is what Patrick is doing. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Maybe what he should have said, if the question was posed in that way, is something like, "Not everyone will be happy with every result."

But to flat-out say he deserved it and to then outright lie by saying that Ten made just as many mistakes as he did is NOT a good look.

Custom Title
    Let's not forget this is the same guy who apologized to the crowd for skating poorly (something he's done in the past as well). I'm not going to pretend that everything he said in that interview was right, but I think he's handling the criticism pretty well, especially considering he shouldn't have to be defending himself at all. Regardless of what people think, he did win, and we have no right to rag on him for a result that he had nothing to do with (the judges score the programs, not him). Besides, he seems to possess a spectacular ability for putting his foot in his mouth during interviews without seeming to realize he's doing it at the time, something the media (at least here in Canada) loves to capitalize on. Let's cut the guy a bit of slack. Had he lost, I doubt he's be whining about how he should have won (like so many have done before him). JMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The judges are +3 happy in GOEs for Chan. His spins all get that, you would think he is a way better spinner than Lambiel, when in fact he is a weaker one. His jumps that even look shaky or tired get that, his last double axel in the Worlds LP which he barely hung onto even got some, LOL! With scoring like that no wonder he has a 6 fall cushion on the field.
    Where?! So you've gotten used to write irresponsibly, haven't you?! He did not get a single +3 GOE from any judge in spins in LP! He got no GOE from one judge on first spin. No GOE from two judges on the second spin. The first two spins were level 3. Only the last spin was level 4.

In his world record SP, first spin had no +3 GOE from any judge. He got one 0 GOE. In second spin, he got only two +3 GOE out of nine judges. In the last spin, again he got only two +3 GOE out of nine judges. But he has managed to get level 4 on all three spins.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Maybe what he should have said, if the question was posed in that way, is something like, "Not everyone will be happy with every result."

But to flat-out say he deserved it and to then outright lie by saying that Ten made just as many mistakes as he did is NOT a good look.
    "Not everyone will be happy with every result" is a vague answer and yes he has said something like that before but still particularly some people are not still not happy. It is obvious that whatever he says, some people will not be happy unless he disappears from the face of the earth. And isn't it true that had Ten or even Xavier were perfect in both skates, they could have beaten Chan overall?

I believe Chan is not the only skater who had implied that 'I deserve to win'. You know who.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    but I think he's handling the criticism pretty well,
    What criticism? Patrick is talking like the OGM is already in his pocket. Why should anyone cut the guy a bit of slack in this case?

“Vancouver was like the Super Bowl and Sochi will be like a conference title,” he said. “It’s away. It will be a lot less pressure, especially defending my (world) title three times since then, I’ve gained a lot of experience.”

http://metronews.ca/sports/597990/pa...f-his-critics/

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    What criticism? Patrick is talking like the OGM is already in his pocket. Why should anyone cut the guy a bit of slack in this case?

“Vancouver was like the Super Bowl and Sochi will be like a conference title,” he said. “It’s away. It will be a lot less pressure, especially defending my (world) title three times since then, I’ve gained a lot of experience.”

http://metronews.ca/sports/597990/pa...f-his-critics/
    Nothing's wrong in the quote. You are picking bones from an egg.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Where?! So you've gotten used to write irresponsibly, haven't you?! He did not get a single +3 GOE from any judge in spins in LP! He got no GOE from one judge on first spin. No GOE from two judges on the second spin. The first two spins were level 3. Only the last spin was level 4.

In his world record SP, first spin had no +3 GOE from any judge. He got one 0 GOE. In second spin, he got only two +3 GOE out of nine judges. In the last spin, again he got only two +3 GOE out of nine judges. But he has managed to get level 4 on all three spins.
    Bluebonnet, I guess we have to be thankful for small mercies PTfan now says he has a 6 fall cushion.... This is down from a previous 10 .
    The distance between imagination and reality is getting closer with time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Nothing's wrong in the quote.
    It's a natural answer for a Chan uber who defends his unjustified wins/medals stolen from his rivals with no shame and disgust. Of course there is nothing wrong for you. The point is now one cares about "for you". People see and think bigger than Chan ubers can afford- it's about sport in general, the lack of trust and the danger to be kicked out of Olympics. SC contributed more than anyone else in destroying this sport starting with SLC scandal and now we are having Chan.

Custom Title
    The comment there is also a short program would have made sense if the other guy had done a really weak short. However Ten also skated a wonderful short program, in addition to a long program way better than Chan, and thus obviously should have beaten him. The there is also a short program comment only applies to guys like Fernandez and Hanyu who also clearly should have beaten Chan in the LP (but didnt, but proof Chan should not have had the LP score to stay ahead of Ten overall as a LP score even below Fernandez would not have done that) but who Chan deserved to finish above due to the SP. While Chan`s LP was overscored by atleast 10 points, his SP while outstanding should also have been in roughly the 95 area, not nearly 100.

Correct. 100 per cent.

I think it is interesting that Hanyu's long program had some really amazing moments and has largely gone un-noticed. When I saw it and then Chan's skate, I too thought that Hanyu's skate was noticeably better than Chan's.

Custom Title
    I am not a "Chan uber" - whatever the heck that is! But I agree with Bluebonnet. I think there are a few people who just will not let this go. It's over folks. Chan won. Whether you like it or not -he did NOT judge himself. Maybe he doesn't think as quickly on his feet as some of you who have had time to digest every little single microscopic thing about his performance and can now expound at will with all the negativity your vocabulary can muster. He was asked a question, he answered it. He would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to have his sites set on Sochi. Do you think he's going to say "oh gee, I've had such bad skates I'll probably just have to concede the Olympics? Nothing he has said anywhere leads me to believe he thinks he has the OGM wrapped up. In fact, anyone who thinks he's going to show shame and disgust because he won doesn't know much about human instincts.

I do not believe this sport has been spoiled by SLC OR by Chan! The average fan does not delve into the mysteries of the scoring system and research each move and each judge's ruling on it down to a microscopic level. The average fan does not chop each performance to bits and pieces from their armchairs weeks after the competition. The average fan is blaming the inscrutable scoring system for the fact that someone can fall and still win. It's almost as if some of you WANT the sport to fail and are just looking for reasons to justify your feelings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    It's a natural answer for a Chan uber who defends his unjustified wins/medals stolen from his rivals with no shame and disgust. Of course there is nothing wrong for you. The point is now one cares about "for you". People see and think bigger than Chan ubers can afford- it's about sport in general, the lack of trust and the danger to be kicked out of Olympics. SC contributed more than anyone else in destroying this sport starting with SLC scandal and now we are having Chan.
    Very true, and what is most ironic is Canadians are the ones to whine the most about the big bad Russians and their so called dealming and politiks over the years, and yet it is SC from 2001-2014 who are most likely to get figure skating kicked out, or on the verge of being kicked out, of the Olympics thanks to all their crookery, especialy regarding Sale & Pelletier and Chan.

Custom Title
    In my opinion Chan won, because other skaters did not deliver. Fernandez would have won if he had skated the way he did at the Europeans. Also Hanyu and Takahashi could have challenged Chan, but they were not up to it. Ten´s skating was a surprise and well, he almost won the whole competition, not just the freeskate.

Custom Title
    Very true, and what is most ironic is Canadians are the ones to whine the most about the big bad Russians and their so called dealming and politiks over the years, and yet it is SC from 2001-2014 who are most likely to get figure skating kicked out, or on the verge of being kicked out, of the Olympics thanks to all their crookery, especialy regarding Sale & Pelletier and Chan.
    Totally agree with with you!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    In my opinion Chan won, because other skaters did not deliver. Fernandez would have won if he had skated the way he did at the Europeans. Also Hanyu and Takahashi could have challenged Chan, but they were not up to it. Ten´s skating was a surprise and well, he almost won the whole competition, not just the freeskate.
    Have you forgotten the to do when Plushy lost to Lysachek? I dont think we Canadians were whining.
    Further from personal knowledge I know that a number of Chan ubers are not Canadian!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast