Thread: Gracie Gold Skates in Awe of YuNa Kim

Hybrid View

Custom Title
    really cute article I found...

Gracie Gold skates clean program, in awe of Kim Yu-na
    Has Gold asked the Queen for her autograph? "I'm kinda waiting to ask her for a picture," Gold said.
    And what does she admire about Kim's skating? "Everything? Does that sound too broad?" she joked. "That smoothness that she has in her skating, that it is just one program. Even if she does stop skating, it's as if the feeling of the program keeps going. Going into every jump you kind of know she's going to hit it and you're just waiting to see it. …. It looks like she trusts herself so much."

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That is awfully cute.

Does anyone know whether Gracie got the autographed picture of YuNa she was too shy to ask for?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    That is awfully cute.

Does anyone know whether Gracie got the autographed picture of YuNa she was too shy to ask for?
    Hearsay is that Gracie was looking to get a picture with Yuna at the banquet, but that Yuna wasn't there. Maybe someone else has more of the factual scoop.

I definitely see some of the Yuna influences on Gracie, though. I think I opined several years ago after Vancouver that Yuna will turn out to be the most influential skater of the COP era, certainly within the decade, and perhaps even sooner. I vaguely recall that there were a lot of skeptics (to put it mildly) when I said this. Now we've got skaters like Gracie and Zijun who are very open about Yuna's influence on them. So I feel this now more strongly than ever, that these skaters are just the tip of the iceberg. Pretty soon we'll be able to recognize even more clearly Yuna's fingerprints on this generation of skaters who are only now showing up on the radar.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Now we've got skaters like Gracie and Zijun who are very open about Yuna's influence on them. So I feel this now more strongly than ever, that these skaters are just the tip of the iceberg. Pretty soon we'll be able to recognize even more clearly Yuna's fingerprints on this generation of skaters who are only now showing up on the radar.
    This reminds me, Kwan was Yuna's childhood idol; anyone know who Michelle's childhood idol was? And the idol's idol? It would be fascinating to know the lineage of influences of top skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    This reminds me, Kwan was Yuna's childhood idol; anyone know who Michelle's childhood idol was? And the idol's idol? It would be fascinating to know the lineage of influences of top skaters.
    It was Brian Boitano. He was also Michelle's mentor in her career.

Custom Title
    Of course, Boitano! I was limiting myself by trying to think of ladies. You thought outside the box. Brian even attended Michelle's wedding.

In another way, through, Michelle's tradition goes back through her coach, Frank Carroll. Carroll was the student and protege of Maribel Vinson Owen, who was (maybe not coincidentally, the last lady before Michelle to win 9 U.S. national titles.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    It was Brian Boitano. He was also Michelle's mentor in her career.
    Janet Lynn was also someone Michelle, IIRC.

Getting back to the OP... Yu-Na will turn out to be the female Yagudin, for better or worse. Less emphasis on spirals and, well, "pretty" spin positions, and more emphasis on big tech. It has to do with IJS, but Yu-Na is nearly as big of a reason. That broken leg camel,(which I HATE, btw) is known at the Yu-Na Camel, is it not? (I know she didn't originate it, but I do know it is called that by some.) The big thing that Kim has that many others don't is the deadly combination of speed and security in their jumps. Gracie has the speed, and the security is getting there. You already saw a big leap from 4CC to Worlds and that should only improve, which is very exciting for us America FS fans hungering for a girl who has the big guns to compete. (Also, Gracie has the sprial and spins already. I would say they are better than Yu-Na, especially her layback and her spiral.)

ITA agree with Gracie: You don't get nervous for Yu-NA AT ALL going into her jumps... it is very reminiscent of Michelle: the security of the jumps is so refreshing, but sometimes (and I have been guilt of this) I find Yu-Na to be so "steady" and secure on her jumps that it's almost not exciting. Whereas others I get excited and nervous because they make mistakes, Yu-Na, now, can just go out there, and *yawn* 3Z-3T and 5 other triples, no problem. THAT too, is very reminiscent of Michelle, people who were not her ubers (I was def a MK uber) would get bored because you could count on Michelle for at least 6 triples. When she fell, it was a surprise. Clean was the name of the game for her, and she did it so well, it was almost to her detriment, because she was judged on such a different level than others (see: Slutskaya), sometimes. Anyone else feel this?

I so hope Yu-Na does what she did last year going into the Olys: Up her content somehow.

Rinkside

I wish Gold got her picture

Yu na should read this article.

It will be fun to see their friendship.

I hope everyone get along each other, also their fans

Custom Title
    Hey Robeye - thoroughly enjoyed your posts this morning. So refreshing after the "he shouldn't have won/he should have won" stuff that's been going on here for awhile now. I agree about Tiger and how he changed the world of golf. It also makes me smile that he's still playing, still winning tournaments and still a threat out there. The comparison with Yu Na was a good one.

I, too, believe Gracie is the future of American ladies. She may or may not win Nationals next year but I'll go down as saying she'll beat Ashley at Worlds if they both go. And then after that? Sky's the limit.

The fact that Yu Na Kim took 19 months off from competition and came back and blew away the ladies field to win Worlds is pretty amazing. And she is a good role model, skate-wise, for girls coming up in the sport. She knows how to do it right!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Hey Robeye - thoroughly enjoyed your posts this morning. So refreshing after the "he shouldn't have won/he should have won" stuff that's been going on here for awhile now. I agree about Tiger and how he changed the world of golf. It also makes me smile that he's still playing, still winning tournaments and still a threat out there. The comparison with Yu Na was a good one.

I, too, believe Gracie is the future of American ladies. She may or may not win Nationals next year but I'll go down as saying she'll beat Ashley at Worlds if they both go. And then after that? Sky's the limit.

The fact that Yu Na Kim took 19 months off from competition and came back and blew away the ladies field to win Worlds is pretty amazing. And she is a good role model, skate-wise, for girls coming up in the sport. She knows how to do it right!
    Thanks, noskates, glad to oblige.

The thing about Gracie is that, not only does she have the raw physical talents, but she seems to have (IMHO) the temperament to improve. This includes knowing herself (where she is in comparison to the field), knowing others (who is currently better, and why), and manages to retain a sense of balance, perspective, humor and humility. All of the early stories I read about Gracie being arrogant...I don't see that when reading these more in-depth stories about her and the lengthier remarks she's made. All of this implies that she's not afraid to look reality in the face with a very clear and steady eye, and that she is not fooling herself about the price that needs to be paid to get where she wants to be.