March Madness! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

March Madness!

louisa05

Final Flight
Also, Louisa, is Greg Smith your student? He's from Omaha, so I'm making an educated guess!

Or Wes Elkmeier?

Colorado State is doing some great ball and keep Louisville
on their toes!

Wes.

Good sleuthing there. :)

I didn't get to watch yesterday as we had places to be. I am glad they won their first round this year and he got that good note to end his b-ball career on.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wes.

Good sleuthing there. :)

I didn't get to watch yesterday as we had places to be. I am glad they won their first round this year and he got that good note to end his b-ball career on.

Wes played quite well yesterday! That Louisville full court press was hard for any team to overcome!

louisa05

Final Flight
Wes played quite well yesterday! That Louisville full court press was hard for any team to overcome!

Good to hear he had a good game for himself.

I don't say he was a great kid because he made it as a division I athlete. He just was truly a great kid to teach. His parents did an awesome job of keeping him grounded through all the attention he got for sports; I can't say enough about them. By contrast, I had another D-1 level athlete super star getting comparable attention a few years later and her ego was only outdistanced by her mother's ego on her behalf. Teaching her was an insufferable experience. And she has played in high profile games available on television in our area,too. I make no effort to watch.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well put. There are skaters I like who maybe are not national champs but they are good people and I cheer for them extra hard.

I don't say he was a great kid because he made it as a division I athlete. He just was truly a great kid to teach. His parents did an awesome job of keeping him grounded through all the attention he got for sports; I can't say enough about them. By contrast, I had another D-1 level athlete super star getting comparable attention a few years later and her ego was only outdistanced by her mother's ego on her behalf. Teaching her was an insufferable experience. And she has played in high profile games available on television in our area,too. I make no effort to watch.

Well put. There are skaters I like who maybe are not national champs but they are good people and I cheer for them extra hard.

Yes, I agree, Chris. There are skaters who just make me happy that they are in the world, and I always watch them with eagerness. You folk who get to go to competitions have even more knowledge of how the skaters behave and may even get to know a parent or two. I've heard such good things from you all about some of the skaters.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

That's touching to hear how down to earth he was! But yes, I agree with Chris and the others that I tend to like and root for skaters who have a great attitude or have great personalities.

So looks like the Catholic contingent is down to Marquette and La Salle. Indiana struggled their way into to the sweet sixteen. And FGCU? Awesome!

I love that we learn about these tiny colleges we never heard of before because they just clobber the superpowers.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love that we learn about these tiny colleges we never heard of before because they just clobber the superpowers.

That's pretty fun, eh?! La Salle is actually pretty impressive, because they had to play an extra game to get into the tournament in the first place!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:agree:

Yes, I agree, Chris. There are skaters who just make me happy that they are in the world, and I always watch them with eagerness. You folk who get to go to competitions have even more knowledge of how the skaters behave and may even get to know a parent or two. I've heard such good things from you all about some of the skaters.

:agree:

We Philadelphians are celebrating La Salle University (used to be a college when my brother attended @ that time a Cathloic college with a very small Jewish student body - he was very happy there as the school was very accommodating to students of other religions) making it to the "Sweet Sixteen."

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We Philadelphians are celebrating La Salle University (used to be a college when my brother attended @ that time a Cathloic college with a very small Jewish student body - he was very happy there as the school was very accommodating to students of other religions) making it to the "Sweet Sixteen."

I'm a native of Philadelphia -- spent my grade school years there -- so I was rooting for my Philadelphia teams. Rooted for Villanova, as my brother went to school there for a bit, but now more than willing to root for La Salle, especially now that it and Marquette are the only Catholic schools left (I'm also Catholic).

Also very impressed with how Temple played. Though they lost, they really made it difficult for Indiana, which is an impressive feat in itself.

By the way, NYT declares La Salle the true "statistical" Cinderella of the tournament: http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/the-tournaments-biggest-surprise-lasalle/