New Stars born this season - names? | Golden Skate

New Stars born this season - names?

Country
Russia
I see new stars, i.e. stars who at previous seson were not stars:

Senior Men.
Javier FERNANDEZ - he was widely known, but not as a star.

Senior Ladies.
Kaetlyn OSMOND - past season she was ordinary Junior (10 place at Junior Worlds), now - world-level Senior Lady.

Junior Men.
Maxim KOVTUN - ordinary Junior past season, very good Junior this season (despite of not very good Senior resilts).

Junior Ladies.
Elena Radionova - in fact she is not new, her skating is not so much better than at previous season. But international debut.
Anna Pogorilaya - past season very ordinary (13th place at Junior Nationals), now medalist of all four her International Events - two JGP Events, JGP Final, WJC.

Junior Pairs.
Vygalova-Zakroev - also not so new for Russia, international debut.
Fedorova-Miroshkin - I don't know are they new (2nd place at Youth Olympics past season), but this season they are much better.

More names?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How do you define "star"?

Zijun Li's FS at Worlds was a "star-making" performance for me.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Seniors

Fernandez - not really a new star, lets just say his potential is finally being harnessed
Max Aaron
Osmond
Chock/Bates
Moore-Towers/Moscovitch

Juniors

Stepanova/Bukin
Papadakis/Cizeron
Anna Pogorilaya
Kovtun

vera01

Final Flight
Senior
Javier Fernandez
Max Aaron
Kaetlyn Osmond

Junior
Papadakis/Cizeron
Anna Pogorilaya
Maxim Kovtun:Yes, only as a junior.

Novice/junior
Maria Sotskova:I had to add her on the list-she placed below Radionova and Sakhanovich, but she placed over Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya at Jr.Nationals, so maybe she can be a "star" as a junior skater next season.

hanca

Record Breaker
Gosviani. Not really star in the meaning that everyone would know her name, but had serious break through by placing 6th at Europeans in January when in December it looked that she would not even qualify for Russian nationals.

Sakhanovitch. I saw her skating at Russian nationals and I really liked her style.

Country
Russia
Li and Ten
Zijun Li - yes, no doubt.

Denis Ten had bad season, much worse than previous. His only success - at Worlds. Star must be more stable.
So let us see in future, will he be a star.
He is well-known at previous season and not stable enough in this. Not new, not star.

Gosviani. Not really star in the meaning that everyone would know her name, but had serious break through by placing 6th at Europeans in January when in December it looked that she would not even qualify for Russian nationals.
Not star level.
She really progressed in season, very nice skating, but unstable jumps.
Her 6 place at Euro, where were only 3 hi-level skaters and one (Marchei) demonstrated moderately high level, was not really successful. It would be so if she would be 4th, or 5th with score close to Marchei.
She may become a star in future if earns jumps stability.

Sakhanovitch. I saw her skating at Russian nationals and I really liked her style.
There are many (about 6) good Russian girls who next season will become Juniors. Let us wait their Junior debut.

Sakhanovich is not stable enough. Her results in season differ too much. Sometimes very clean jumps (JrNats for example), sometimes not so clean. For example, at Final of Russian Cup she lost two combos, both with 3Lz as first jump (one in SP, one in FS). Bad landing and no secon jump.
She is very good jumper, there is info (absolutely unofficial) that she lands 4T at practice. She landed 3S+3T+3T at competition about year ago. But she needs to be more stable. Her presentation looks too "kiddish" even for Junior.
So she has time to grow, and will grow, let us see in future.

And mentionong Sakhanovich we must also mention Evgenia Medvedeva - very good level at this and previous season, good progress from previous season, more stable than Sakhanovich.

Senior
Javier Fernandez
Max Aaron
Kaetlyn Osmond

Junior
Papadakis/Cizeron
Anna Pogorilaya
Maxim Kovtun:Yes, only as a junior.

Novice/junior
Maria Sotskova:I had to add her on the list-she placed below Radionova and Sakhanovich, but she placed over Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya at Jr.Nationals, so maybe she can be a "star" as a junior skater next season.

Max Aaron - yes (others, who yes, I mentioned before).
Papadakis/Cizeron - they are known from previous season, they progressed, but not so much to tell about new stars.

Sotskova was ahead Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya at JrNats when Lipnitskaia was in very bad state (not restored from injury) and Pogorilaya's state was far from her best.

Anyway, about Novices - let us wait their Junior results.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Mae Berenice Meite, Zijun Li, Elena Radionova, Margaret Purdy & Michael Marinaro, Kaetlyn Osmond and Papadakis & Cizeron.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both Kaetlyn Osmond and Gracie Gold skated JUNIOR last season. This was the debut SENIOR season for both.

If Osmond is a star, having landed only 4 triples in her Worlds FS and placing 8th, then certainly Gracie Gold, who landed 7 triples and placed 6th, is a star. Gracie beat Kaetlyn at 4CC as well.

hanca

Record Breaker
It depends how you define what star means for you. If you define it as someone who is well known, than it will be only those who have been skating seniors for quite a few years. Most of non skating fans would never heard of those that have been suggested above.

I define it as someone who made a huge progress. AlexRus, you think that Gosviani is not a star level because she was 'only' 6th at Europeans. From the way I see it, if someone did not get named at international team within their country, nearly did not qualify at their nationals (or qualified only as 3rd substitute) and then ended up as 6th lady within Europe, that is success. It is a progress and hopefully breakthrough.

The same with Anna Pogorilaya. A year ago at junior nationals she was 13th, this season she was 3rd at JGPF, 5th at senior nationals, and 3rd at junior worlds. That's pretty good progress. She may not be a star in the meaning that people would recognise her on the street, but it is a significant improvement in her skating. In my opinion she is a star.

In regards to Sakhanovich, maybe she is not stable enough. But she is definitely impressive for her age. Being 4th at senior nationals at the age of 12 is a huge achievement, especially when you have such a high level of skating within the nationals. (I believe, when Adelina won the senior nationals at the age of 12, she did not have triple-triple in her SP. Now the majority of skaters have it in the SP in your senior nationals.)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Pogorilaya
Gosviani
Osmond
Gao
Wang

Ten
Kovtun
Farris
Omori
Mura
Reynolds (though I can't believe I'm saying that, he did break into a new threshold)

Scimeca/Knierem
Denney/Frazier
James/Cipres

Papadakis/Cizeron
Bobrova/Soloviev
Chock/Bates

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pogorilaya???

Different strokes, I suppose. Time will tell.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

She blew me away. I love her expression, given her age, and her jumps when she's on are incredible. I think she's a threat for the podium in 2018, assuming nothing crazy happens to her skating in between now and then.

Denis Ten of course was the biggest surprise of Worlds, without a doubt. I hope it's not a flash in the pan (and if it is, at least it was at Worlds), but even on the GP, we didn't see the out of body performances that Ten had at Worlds. Even though his PCS was overmarked, even a few points less would have been much higher than what I would have guessed the judges would have given him. It would be nuts if Frank Carroll had two Olympic champions in a row, but I'm thinking by Sochi, Fernandez, Hanyu and Chan will have their stuff together and it won't be as wide open.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Both Kaetlyn Osmond and Gracie Gold skated JUNIOR last season. This was the debut SENIOR season for both.

If Osmond is a star, having landed only 4 triples in her Worlds FS and placing 8th, then certainly Gracie Gold, who landed 7 triples and placed 6th, is a star. Gracie beat Kaetlyn at 4CC as well.

Thanks Chuckm for exactly explaining why IMO Gracie Gold deserved mentioning. IMO Jason also earned a mention for mastering the triple axle & thus positioning himself to become a star when he enters the international ranks as a Sr.