Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Stars born this season - names?

Custom Title
    It depends how you define what star means for you. If you define it as someone who is well known, than it will be only those who have been skating seniors for quite a few years. Most of non skating fans would never heard of those that have been suggested above.

I define it as someone who made a huge progress. AlexRus, you think that Gosviani is not a star level because she was 'only' 6th at Europeans. From the way I see it, if someone did not get named at international team within their country, nearly did not qualify at their nationals (or qualified only as 3rd substitute) and then ended up as 6th lady within Europe, that is success. It is a progress and hopefully breakthrough.

The same with Anna Pogorilaya. A year ago at junior nationals she was 13th, this season she was 3rd at JGPF, 5th at senior nationals, and 3rd at junior worlds. That's pretty good progress. She may not be a star in the meaning that people would recognise her on the street, but it is a significant improvement in her skating. In my opinion she is a star.

In regards to Sakhanovich, maybe she is not stable enough. But she is definitely impressive for her age. Being 4th at senior nationals at the age of 12 is a huge achievement, especially when you have such a high level of skating within the nationals. (I believe, when Adelina won the senior nationals at the age of 12, she did not have triple-triple in her SP. Now the majority of skaters have it in the SP in your senior nationals.)

Custom Title
    Pogorilaya
    Gosviani
    Osmond
    Gao
    Wang

Ten
    Kovtun
    Farris
    Omori
    Mura
    Reynolds (though I can't believe I'm saying that, he did break into a new threshold)

Scimeca/Knierem
    Denney/Frazier
    James/Cipres

Papadakis/Cizeron
    Bobrova/Soloviev
    Chock/Bates

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Pogorilaya???

Different strokes, I suppose. Time will tell.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Sakhanovitch. I saw her skating at Russian nationals and I really liked her style.
    She blew me away. I love her expression, given her age, and her jumps when she's on are incredible. I think she's a threat for the podium in 2018, assuming nothing crazy happens to her skating in between now and then.

Denis Ten of course was the biggest surprise of Worlds, without a doubt. I hope it's not a flash in the pan (and if it is, at least it was at Worlds), but even on the GP, we didn't see the out of body performances that Ten had at Worlds. Even though his PCS was overmarked, even a few points less would have been much higher than what I would have guessed the judges would have given him. It would be nuts if Frank Carroll had two Olympic champions in a row, but I'm thinking by Sochi, Fernandez, Hanyu and Chan will have their stuff together and it won't be as wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Both Kaetlyn Osmond and Gracie Gold skated JUNIOR last season. This was the debut SENIOR season for both.

If Osmond is a star, having landed only 4 triples in her Worlds FS and placing 8th, then certainly Gracie Gold, who landed 7 triples and placed 6th, is a star. Gracie beat Kaetlyn at 4CC as well.
    Thanks Chuckm for exactly explaining why IMO Gracie Gold deserved mentioning. IMO Jason also earned a mention for mastering the triple axle & thus positioning himself to become a star when he enters the international ranks as a Sr.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by momskate View Post
    Zijun Li - future champion

Custom Title
    Aside from Dennis, no "stars" were born IMO. I consider moments like Kwan, Baiul, and Yagudin winning as stars being born. Finishing 6th or 7th is great but that may be their best placement ever, or they may go on to win in the future. Gracie I think will improve, but Kaetlyn doesn't look to have an optimal build for jumping triples. Remember, Mirai finished 4th at the Olympics but never again reached that level; I could easily see the same fate for some of these ladies (particularly the juniors who will be going to bodily changes shortly).

Custom Title
    Fernandez has gradually become a star after having been on GPF podium and winning in this season the Europeans and a bronze at the Worlds. He is the only one from those mentioned in this thread I consider to be a star. Definetely no junior skaters! From seniors maybe Ten becomes a star if his success continues in next season.

Custom Title
    Zijun Li and Denis Ten. To me, Javier would qualify as a new star at the end of last season. This season we expected good things from him, no big surprises here (his LP at Euros was sublime though, the best LP we saw this season overall, and by some way. If only he skated like that at worlds...)
    Osmond came from nowhere and I finally saw at Worlds what I could not see when she won Skate Canada: she is a star in the making, just needs some time to adjust to her new status.
    I would like to mention M-T/M in pairs. Never thought they are world podium contenders, I saw them in the middle pack. But this season they were shooting to the top. I can't believe their performances at worlds didn't get them a medal. To me they were the most enjoyable and I would have them in second place. Their elements are very, very strong, there is no weakness in their skating. I really see them with a medal in Sochi.

Custom Title
    I define it as someone who made a huge progress. AlexRus, you think that Gosviani is not a star level because she was 'only' 6th at Europeans. From the way I see it, if someone did not get named at international team within their country, nearly did not qualify at their nationals (or qualified only as 3rd substitute) and then ended up as 6th lady within Europe, that is success. It is a progress and hopefully breakthrough.
    Gosviani, Denis Ten this season, Korobeynikova past season - "stars of one competition".
    And for Gosviani it is not Euro - it is SrNationals, where she skated much better than all competitions before and after.
    If she would skate at SrNationals as at Euro - Leonova and Makarova (and maybe even Korobeynikova with fall and 4 triples in FS, but good SP) would be ahead her and Gosviani would not have Euro.

Othervise, Gosviani had some progress from past season (not very high, but real).

So I don't know - star or not star.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    If she would skate at SrNationals as at Euro - Leonova and Makarova (and maybe even Korobeynikova with fall and 4 triples in FS, but good SP) would be ahead her and Gosviani would not have Euro.
    You are probably right about that, but that doesn't make it right or fair. If Gosviani skated at your nationals the same way as she skated at Europeans, I am pretty certain that Leonova, Makarova and Korobeynikova would end up above her, but if (with the same level of everyone's skating) you take away the fact that Leonova, Makarova and Korobeynikova have their reputation, in ideal worlds Gosviani should still win. It is still cleaner than anything Leonova, Makarova and Korobeynikova have done at the nationals. It is not fair that certain skaters are padded on the second mark only because they have their name/reputation. I would understand if the PCS were higher because they have something within their skating that Gosviani doesn't have, but Gosviani has lovely balletic style, expression, plenty of interesting transitions... I am getting a bit fed up about Makarova being held up last season at your nationals and Leonova both last season and this season at your nationals. Though I think Makarova won't be held up any more, and possibly neither will be Leonova.

Custom Title
    but Gosviani has lovely balletic style, expression, plenty of interesting transitions...
    Yes, she has. Her skating is very nice.

But at Internationals it will give good scores only for years (after some seasons of taking place in Internationals), if skating is not techincally clean.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Both Kaetlyn Osmond and Gracie Gold skated JUNIOR last season. This was the debut SENIOR season for both.

If Osmond is a star, having landed only 4 triples in her Worlds FS and placing 8th, then certainly Gracie Gold, who landed 7 triples and placed 6th, is a star. Gracie beat Kaetlyn at 4CC as well.
    Totally. Kaetlyn is not quite there yet internationally for star status.

Interesting comments going both ways on Ten. When I saw him skate at Windsor this year, even though he did not place well and had problems, his skate for me was one of the gems of the evening. (The other was Fernandez's.) There was something behind and about Ten's skating that put him up there. I did not know it at the time of the skate, but he was, of course, skating injured at that event. It is also true that his only real great competitive skate was at worlds, but his skating right through to his exhibition (singing in the rain) was amazing. I don't think his performance was an accident, and for me he is a star, but he has to follow it up next year. Star status, undeniable to the larger world, is within reach but not yet attained.

Fernandez's skates definitely established him as a star.

Custom Title
    To me, people like Kurt Browning, Ekaterina Gordeeva, etc. are "stars". ie. people who will be fondly remembered long after they retired. By that definition, none of the people mentioned are "stars" ...yet?/maybe?. However as I understand it, what AlexRus meant was people currently near the top who have suddenly obtained a lot of attention this year, where there was little serious attention previously.

* For me, I would include MT/M. They are not new, but were 8th at the last Worlds they attended two years ago. Now they suddenly shot up to 4th (some think they should have been higher). Who would have thought D/R would get the World bronze? Not certain if they should be included however, since their climb at Worlds was a little more gradual each year ... 7th, 5th, 3rd. Not completely unexpected when you think about it. Hmmm, given their numerical series climbing pattern so far, does that mean they will be 1st at Worlds 2014. Look out V/T, math doesn't lie

* Half of the Ladies top 10 are basically newbies worth mentioning. From Juniors, straight up to top 10 in their first Senior International year. How many experienced old-timers did they leave behind in their dust?

* Mens would include Hanyu, Reynolds, and Aaron.

* Nobody really new/unexpected in Ice Dance.

Of course, this does not mean any of these skaters will necessarily stay near the top. But it should be interesting to watch in the coming years.

Custom Title
    I think Chock/Bates should be mentioned in Ice Dance. They have been together less than two years and this was their first Worlds as a team---their 7th place was a great achievement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast