Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: New Stars born this season - names?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    anyone thinking Gosviani is a star is delusional, she had one good fluke performance that's it
    it's like saying Gachinski is a star, who isn't obviously

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    anyone thinking Gosviani is a star is delusional, she had one good fluke performance that's it
    it's like saying Gachinski is a star, who isn't obviously
    Depends how you look at it. If you look at it according to how much one improved within one year, she is a star! If you look at it in comparison with Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim, she is far from being a star. But so does anyone else who was named in this thread, including Gracie Gold and Osmond!

    By the way, I do believe Gachinsky is a star. He is going through a hard time at the moment, we don't know why so I don't think we can judge him. (Do you remember how Mao Asada was criticised for skating badly, while her mother was terminally ill? I think anybody's skating would be affected if they lived with something like that!) But Gachinsky is still young, he may sort himself out. Carolina Kostner also had a few bad seasons a few years ago and look at her now.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Depends how you look at it. If you look at it according to how much one improved within one year, she is a star! If you look at it in comparison with Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim, she is far from being a star. But so does anyone else who was named in this thread, including Gracie Gold and Osmond!
    Gold and Osmond were Top 10 at Worlds
    Gosviani didn't even made the Worlds Team

    that was a fluke, remember at National competitions she is beaten regularly by 13 year olds Sakhanovich, Sotskova and Medvedeva just to name some.
    she can't even win against a terrible shaped Leonova who can't jump a 2 Axel

    Gachinski is done period, I will eat my words if he even wins another World medal, even a Grand Prix medal in his lifetime
    ( April fools came early* if that ever happens). he is like Leonova and Makarova who are both done

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Gold and Osmond were Top 10 at Worlds
    Gosviani didn't even made the Worlds Team
    It still doesn't place Gold and Osmond anywhere near Yu-Na Kim. If you are going to be so strict with the definition who can qualify as a star, you may find out that no one except of the the Queen will do!

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Gachinski is done period, I will eat my words if he even wins another World medal, even a Grand Prix medal in his lifetime
    ( April fools came early* if that ever happens). he is like Leonova and Makarova who are both done
    Should we go though you past posts to see when you wrote this about Kostner? Or about Asada?

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,576
    Gosviani won ONE event, this year, as a Junior: Mentor Nestle. Here's who she beat:

    Agata KRYGER POL
    Netta SCHREIBER ISR
    Viktoryia LIAKHAVA BLR
    Andrea DAVIDOVICH ISR

    She was 6th at Euros and scored 154.41, which would have placed her 16th at Worlds.

    Gosviani has had ONE competition at the Senior level, and she didn't impress the Russian Federation enough to send her to Worlds. A star? I don't think so.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Gosviani won ONE event, this year, as a Junior: Mentor Nestle. Here's who she beat:

    Agata KRYGER POL
    Netta SCHREIBER ISR
    Viktoryia LIAKHAVA BLR
    Andrea DAVIDOVICH ISR

    She was 6th at Euros and scored 154.41, which would have placed her 16th at Worlds.

    Gosviani has had ONE competition at the Senior level, and she didn't impress the Russian Federation enough to send her to Worlds. A star? I don't think so.
    As I said, it depends how you look at it. If you look at it from the point of view that she nearly did not qualify for the Russian nationals and then she ends up being sixth lady in Europe, yes, that's success! And just to point out, Kaetlyn Osmond was on 4CC 7th, with a score 159.38. So their performance at 4CC and Europeans is not that far from each other. Kaetlyn Osmond has done great at worlds, but we can't assume that Gosviani would skate exactly the same as at Europeans (she could have been better or worse). I am not saying that Gosviani will turn out the same way as Osmond, but the difference is that Osmond has been given the chances in the past and Gosviani hasn't. Only time will show if Gosviani manages to get through.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,576
    But that is precisely Gosviani's problem---there are lots more talented ladies ahead of her. Since she's had only one Senior international to date, we have no way of knowing how consistent she is. If, as you say, she almost didn't get to go to Nationals, that is rather more indicative of an inconsistent skater. Indeed, at the Russian Cup, Gosviani didn't skate well, and that's why Leonova got the nod for Worlds.

    Sorry, but I'd expect a lot more from a budding star. Christina Gao has done more internationally and has gotten much better results, but she's not being touted as a "star".

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    But that is precisely Gosviani's problem---there are lots more talented ladies ahead of her. Since she's had only one Senior international to date, we have no way of knowing how consistent she is. If, as you say, she almost didn't get to go to Nationals, that is rather more indicative of an inconsistent skater. Indeed, at the Russian Cup, Gosviani didn't skate well, and that's why Leonova got the nod for Worlds.
    Two! she is currently competing in Triglav Trophy. Soon we will know...

    And I think it is unfair to compare Gosviani with all those US ladies who had the opportunity to compete at junior GPs and therefore get used to competing in international competitions. Gosviani did not have the opportunity; that's why I think her result at Europeans is even more success. She needs to do as many senior B competitions as possible, and keep the results decent, so that she get noticed. We will see if she can do that.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Pogorilaya???

    Different strokes, I suppose. Time will tell.
    Pogorilaya is mostly impressive because she came out of nowhere to medal at all her international events this season, which is pretty impressive given the strength of the JGPF and JW fields, not to mention that 5 out of 6 entrants at the JGPF skated EXTREMELY well at that competition and she still managed 3rd, just a point out of 2nd. Plus she was 5th at Russian Nationals in that deep field. So I do think that is pretty wow and indicative of star potential. She's still 14 too. There is much to be worked on but unlike Radionova, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, she was not some wonder baby who was polished and could do everything at age 11. I like her power, speed, and high jumps. Plus she is so confident, which is rare in a 14 year old girl, especially one with so little experience, but for me at least, it really adds to the impact of her programs.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,066
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Gold and Osmond were Top 10 at Worlds
    Gosviani didn't even made the Worlds Team

    that was a fluke, remember at National competitions she is beaten regularly by 13 year olds Sakhanovich, Sotskova and Medvedeva just to name some.
    she can't even win against a terrible shaped Leonova who can't jump a 2 Axel

    Gachinski is done period, I will eat my words if he even wins another World medal, even a Grand Prix medal in his lifetime
    ( April fools came early* if that ever happens). he is like Leonova and Makarova who are both done
    Gosviani didn't make the World team because the Russian fed wouldn't dare not send Leonova, the reigning World silver medalist. Also, Sakhanovich skated amazingly and would have medalled if not for the SP.

    As for Gachinski, yeah, he did horribly at Worlds last year, but he won silver at Europeans - ahead of Fernandez, and won World bronze the year before. His GP season has been bad, but he was okay at Russian nationals and is clearly capable of doing quads and axels still. You might just be eating your words...

    That being said, I didn't consider Gachinski or Gosviani stars, not because of results, but just because they don't have the "it" factor, IMO.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,066
    I think Ten's performances at Worlds were superb, and I don't take anything from that. But it's a little bit early to start calling him a star. His results this season were 12th at Euros, 6th/9th at SC/RC on the Grand Prix, and 7th at Nebelhorn.

    What he did to place 2nd was incredible though because NOBODY saw that coming, other than maybe Frank Carroll. But it's a bit early to crown him the next big thing. I'm hoping he maintains this momentum though going into Sochi and that people don't put intense pressure on him to medal just because he came 2nd at Worlds the year before.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Gosviani didn't make the World team because the Russian fed wouldn't dare not send Leonova, the reigning World silver medalist.
    It is not so simple.
    Gosviani won Leonova at Nationals by only 1.03 points, at most by PCS (Gosviani at FS had TES about 10 higher than Leovova because of clean Gosviani's jumps).
    It was no problem to make Leonova's score a bit higher and so to send Leonova to Euro because her score and place would be higher than Gosviani's.

    At Final of Russian Cup (afer Gosviani's jumps were not so clean at Euro) Leonova won Gosviani, and Leonova had more clean jumps and higher TES score than Gosviani.
    Because of this Leovova (not only 2nd place at past Worlds, but also better results of competition) was sent to Worlds.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343
    Here is the new star born this season: Pogorilaya!!!

    The other stars who had the right time to shine and improved themselves: Kaetlyn Osmond, Jason Brown, Elena Radionova, Denis Ten

    Artistically shining: Misha Ge!!

    These stars' shining weren't unexpected: Yuna Kim, Javier Fernandez and Carolina Kostner
    Although I say Carolina Kostner's shining weren't something unexpected, she surprised me putting a beautiful triple lutz in her FS and a clean 3+3 combo!

    Thank you all the stars!!

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343
    And for Gosviani, she was a rising star this season. Nobody would concern her in Euros team at the beginning of the season. She did something unexpected, too. Please give her some time to find some consistency.

    Leonova was the falling star of season. But she may have reasons for that. I also think that some of this failure was her coach's fault. We shouldn't say that "this one is over" not for only Leonova but for every skater, unless they retire. Let's see how she will continue next season.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •