New Stars born this season - names? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New Stars born this season - names?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gold and Osmond were Top 10 at Worlds
Gosviani didn't even made the Worlds Team

that was a fluke, remember at National competitions she is beaten regularly by 13 year olds Sakhanovich, Sotskova and Medvedeva just to name some.
she can't even win against a terrible shaped Leonova who can't jump a 2 Axel

Gachinski is done period, I will eat my words if he even wins another World medal, even a Grand Prix medal in his lifetime
( April fools came early* if that ever happens). he is like Leonova and Makarova who are both done

Gosviani didn't make the World team because the Russian fed wouldn't dare not send Leonova, the reigning World silver medalist. Also, Sakhanovich skated amazingly and would have medalled if not for the SP.

As for Gachinski, yeah, he did horribly at Worlds last year, but he won silver at Europeans - ahead of Fernandez, and won World bronze the year before. His GP season has been bad, but he was okay at Russian nationals and is clearly capable of doing quads and axels still. You might just be eating your words...

That being said, I didn't consider Gachinski or Gosviani stars, not because of results, but just because they don't have the "it" factor, IMO.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Ten's performances at Worlds were superb, and I don't take anything from that. But it's a little bit early to start calling him a star. His results this season were 12th at Euros, 6th/9th at SC/RC on the Grand Prix, and 7th at Nebelhorn.

What he did to place 2nd was incredible though because NOBODY saw that coming, other than maybe Frank Carroll. But it's a bit early to crown him the next big thing. I'm hoping he maintains this momentum though going into Sochi and that people don't put intense pressure on him to medal just because he came 2nd at Worlds the year before.

Country
Russia
Gosviani didn't make the World team because the Russian fed wouldn't dare not send Leonova, the reigning World silver medalist.
It is not so simple.
Gosviani won Leonova at Nationals by only 1.03 points, at most by PCS (Gosviani at FS had TES about 10 higher than Leovova because of clean Gosviani's jumps).
It was no problem to make Leonova's score a bit higher and so to send Leonova to Euro because her score and place would be higher than Gosviani's.

At Final of Russian Cup (afer Gosviani's jumps were not so clean at Euro) Leonova won Gosviani, and Leonova had more clean jumps and higher TES score than Gosviani.
Because of this Leovova (not only 2nd place at past Worlds, but also better results of competition) was sent to Worlds.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Here is the new star born this season: Pogorilaya!!!

The other stars who had the right time to shine and improved themselves: Kaetlyn Osmond, Jason Brown, Elena Radionova, Denis Ten

Artistically shining: Misha Ge!!

These stars' shining weren't unexpected: Yuna Kim, Javier Fernandez and Carolina Kostner
Although I say Carolina Kostner's shining weren't something unexpected, she surprised me putting a beautiful triple lutz in her FS and a clean 3+3 combo!

Thank you all the stars!!

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
And for Gosviani, she was a rising star this season. Nobody would concern her in Euros team at the beginning of the season. She did something unexpected, too. Please give her some time to find some consistency.

Leonova was the falling star of season. But she may have reasons for that. I also think that some of this failure was her coach's fault. We shouldn't say that "this one is over" not for only Leonova but for every skater, unless they retire. Let's see how she will continue next season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I love Pogo and Gosviani and feel bad that some people are trying to write off what they accomplished this season as nothing special. No, they might not suddenly be the best in the World or even in their country, but this time last year, very few people were even familiar with either of them (I know I wasn't) and now this season, they are well known with good results to back them up, outperforming a bunch of more well known Russian girls who have been touted as stars in the past and still aren't being written off as "not good enough" or "done" now so come on, give credit where credit is due. They are only 14 and 16 years old, there is plenty of time to still improve and gain more consistency, and for both girls the improvement since last season is really remarkable, they can do 3lz-3t and 3f-3t respectively and that is no easy feat for female skaters! I think they can both be stars, there is something special in both of the girls, not only are they beautiful and strong in the jumps, but in terms of the presentation, it stands out, unique.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
while Gold has been on the radar for a while nice to see Canada with a decent woman - Osmond. She is developing just fine for Canada. duhamel and Radford and Moscovitch Towers and moore are also break out stars. I won't consider Ten a break out star ten because it was thought years ago he might be a contender. Wow lots of Canadians

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think Chock/Bates should be mentioned in Ice Dance. They have been together less than two years and this was their first Worlds as a team---their 7th place was a great achievement.

ITA. D&W debuted at Worlds in 7th place, V&M debuted in 6th. It's an impressive start. They also won bronze at 4CC's. Last year they were 5th in US Nationals, so this has been a breakout season for them.

Another team that's new to me this season is the current German pairs champions, Proelss & Blommaert (still in Juniors, but with S&S not at German nationals, they won.)

And one I'm watching for a breakout next year is little Ivett Toth of Hungary, who was just barely eligible for Juniors this year and has a lot of style.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
while Gold has been on the radar for a while nice to see Canada with a decent woman - Osmond. She is developing just fine for Canada. duhamel and Radford and Moscovitch Towers and moore are also break out stars. I won't consider Ten a break out star ten because it was thought years ago he might be a contender. Wow lots of Canadians

Yeah Osmond was a nice surprise and Gabby Daleman and Alaine Chartrand are pretty strong skaters as well, taking 2nd and 3rd at senior Nationals and placing 6th and 8th at JW. They both have all the triples and can do 3-3 combos (Daleman 3t-3t, Chartrand 3lz-3t and 3lz-1/2lo-3s). Alaine just turned 17 so is unlikely to get hit by the puberty monster now, and though Gabby is only recently 15, she looks mature physically already, so the future of ladies skating for Canada looks pretty bright between Osmond and those two. Daleman and Chartrand also both get HUGE height on their jumps, especially for girls who are so small ( I think they are both just 5 feet tall).