Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My New Schedule ... Advice for Parents of Skaters

Cinderella On Ice

My New Schedule ... Advice for Parents of Skaters

Gosh, it was like putting together a complicated puzzle, but I've finally come up with my new training schedule for the summer. I'm trying to incorporate moves and freestyle on-ice practices with strength training (2x week), endurance (1x), flexibility (5x) and off-ice jumping/sport cords (1x). Plus I've worked in my racquetball league matches (3x) and bowling (1x).

I'm going to skate mornings on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday (+lesson), and add 15-30 minutes of flexibility stretches after each one. I'll also skate Friday afternoons and add a 15-20 minute endurance exercise at the end of the practice.

I talked to my coach tonight and we're going to do a double lesson this Thursday AND next, plus add a lesson on Friday so that we can bang out my Bronze freestyle program (finally) so I can kamikaze practice it before testing (hopefully) on July 18.

Phew, this all is making me tired just thinking about it!

Lanechka

Re: My New Schedule

Wow! What a schedule!

I won't have a lot of time for skating this summer because I'm in next year's academic decathalon team so I have to write a speech about the human condition and read this one book 10+ times. But I'll figure out how to work it all in... I'm trying to get my dad to take me to aerobics or pilates classes somewhere because I want to do more off-ice stuff than practicing jumps at home and stretching at home. Any suggestions, Cinderella? Good luck with that schedule!

<strong>-Lanie</strong>

Cinderella On Ice

Lanechka - what's the book that you have to read? Sorry to hear that you might have to cut back on skating. I was worried that I would too, just because they were cutting back on the available practices. But now that we've solved that problem, I'm a happy girl.

I think you're smart to want to do some Pilates or aerobics. Have you checked out whether your local park district offers any classes over the summer? Usually those are accessible AND affordable and you don't have to worry about joining some health club in order to do them. I found the Pilates to be extremely helpful for my skating, and not just because I'm "older." If it's done correctly, it's a pretty intense workout which really strengthens your muscles, especially your abs, which is great for all skating but especially things like spirals, camel spins, sit spins, etc. Having your core be strong is very important. I find that I don't have the motivation to do Pilates on my own (even with a videotape), so I'm better off taking a class. Whereas I'm more likely to do aerobic activity without prodding.

However, videotapes are another alternative for you if you can't find a class or your dad doesn't want to drive. You can even borrow the videos from a local library and it costs you nothing. You can just keep switching them around. They also usually have a pretty good supply of fitness books and magazines which could help you put a program together.

Those are my only recommendations at the moment. Let me know what you find out.

Lanechka

The book is Death Comes for the Archibishop by Willa Cather. Sucks for me because I do NOT like Cather's writing at all. I've tried reading O Pioneers! and My Antonia. Didn't work out. Oh, well.

I don't know what our park district offers, although I should definitely check it out!

Cinderella On Ice

Hmm I, too have read My Antonia and I can't remember if I've read O Pioneers OR Death Comes to the Archbishop. But I do remember that that pretty much made it impossible for me and Willa to get together again. :lol: I know her books are considered classics, but they just didn't do it for me either. I must have read them pre-1993, because I went to my reading list to see what I had said about them, and they weren't even on there. Good luck with the project. Maybe you'll be driven to skate just for the relief! :lol:

sk8er1964

One busy schedule!

Wow, Cinderella - that is one busy schedule you've set. Good for you, though!

I just wanted to say - good luck on the Bronze FS test. When will you test the Gold MIF's?

starshinexavier

Re: One busy schedule!

WOW Cindy! You're gonna be one busy girl! Without a doubt, you'll get your bronze freeskate test and those pesky adult moves with all the skating you're doing. Next thing you know, you'll be doing 2 flips and 2 lutzes! What types of elements do you need to do for your freeskate test? I'm no where near familiar with any ISI or USFSA tests, so any information would help. Have fun with the tons of sessions you'll have this summer.

Happy Skating! :D

Cinderella On Ice

Sk8ter1964 - To answer your question, I'm hoping to test the Gold Moves on July 18, the same day as the Bronze Freestyle.

Starshine - The bronze elements are fairly simple: a salchow, a toe loop and a single jump of your choice (mine's the flip), a waltz jump/toe loop combo, a back spin, a one foot spin, and a sit spin. Except for my on-again/off-again back spin, nothing causes me any trouble all by itself. My fear is that it's been 30 years since I've "performed" a program, especially in front of judges, and things which are so "easy" to do suddenly become wooden and stiff-kneed. That's why I'm anxious to get my coach to choreograph and sign off on the program so I can practice the heck out of it!

Yesterday I began my first upper body strength training since breaking my wrist, and it went great, but I just <em>toasted</em> my arms and shoulders! Today was my first day of off-ice jumping/cord drills/plyometrics, and now I've toasted my lower body. I'm not sure, and you might want to check in on me tonight, but soon I might be so fit that I'll be unable to walk or lift my head! :rollin: Just kidding, I need all of this to whip me into shape. I finished with 15 minutes of flexibility stretches, and I actually feel pretty good.

Hope you all are having a good day today.

starshinexavier

Cindy, thanks for posting the elements. They're very similar to the elements in the Preliminary Freeskate up here in Canada(except there are more elements). Is it just a program, or are there elements in isolation as well?

Up here, our freeskate tests have 2 parts; the elements and the program. In order to have completed the test, you need to pass both parts. It's possible to pass one part and have to retry another part on a later day. This happened to me. I got the elements for Sr.Bronze on the first try, and it took me 5 tries to get the program.

Don't worry about performing the program. You'll do fine. Do like me and practice infront of a neutral party before the test. Hound that coach of yours to get your program done. What music are you using? The strength training you're doing seems to be working for the best. Keep it up!

Happy Skating!:D

Cinderella On Ice

Starshine - thanks for the good advice on hounding the coach. That's exactly what I'm (finally) doing. She tends to take it for granted that since I skating before (a quadrillion light years ago), that I'm "good to go" at the drop of a hat. As you've rightly pointed out, it is one thing to be able to do the individual elements. It's another (harder thing) to pull them together in a program.

Our testing has two separate parts -- the Moves in the Field, which are training elements that consist of patterns that encourage deep edges, power, extension, etc. and then the freestyle programs. So when you test the separate elements, it will include three turns, chocktaws, mowhawks, brackets, etc. in an arranged pattern, but not things like the jumps and spins. Those are in the programs. If you mess something up in the freestyle, the judges can ask you to repeat ONE element after your program (like a sit spin) and you have one shot at getting it right and they can choose to pass you. You can't retry more than one thing.

Is that similar in Canada? BTW, I just hooked up with an email list group called Competitive Adult Skaters (18+) and have found out that they're primarily based in Canada. So I'm learning lots more about "your" systems there.

starshinexavier

Our tests are a tinge different. Our equivalent of MITF is Skills, and they're in a totally different stream than the FS tests. Skills tests have different turns, edges, and field moves in perscribed patterns all done to music. There are 3 exercises in each level, and you need to pass all 3 to pass the level. You can reskate one exercise.

The freeskate tests, like I said above, have 2 parts too. Part 1 has stroking exercises, individual jumps, jump combinations/sequences, individual spins, combination spins, a step sequence and field moves. There are 14 elements to be performed, and in order to pass, you need to complete 12 of the 14 elements successfully. 4 elements may be reskated if necessary.

Part 2 consists of the freeskate program. There are 12 different criteria on the tests and you need to complete 10 of the 12 in order to pass. There is a technical component (individual jumps, combo jump, jump sequence, individual spins, combo spin, step sequence) and a presentation component (use of ice, use of music, sureness of skating skills, carriage/line/form, connecting steps and program compostition). It is possible to not complete all the perscribed elements in order to pass. You have to complete 2/3 of the jump criteria, 1/2 of the spin criteria, carriage/line/form and sureness of skating skills in order to pass, along with having 10 of the overall criterias completed. Does this make any sense? I hope it helps give you an idea of what FS tests are like here in Canada. If you need more clarification, just ask, and I'll do my best to make sense of all this.

Happy Skating!

Cinderella On Ice

Sarah - thanks for all that info. It sounds rather complicated at first, but when you read through it a couple of times, it makes a lot of sense. Is there a website where you can go and look up the elements for each of the tests?

starshinexavier

The elements aren't listed on the Skate Canada site, but a while back I typed out what' s on Dance, Skill and Freeskate Tests in Canada. Here's the link: <a href="http://www.synchroboards.com/board/index.php?s=0381f12e34a54d5e9785b187c59167bc&act=S T&f=15&t=6975&st=0" target="top">Skate Canada Tests</a>

You'll have to scroll down about half way down the page to find the post where it lists what's on the tests. I'd recommend checking the link immediately, since I have no idea when the link will no longer be available. I hope this helps!

Happy Skating!

Cinderella On Ice

Thanks, I printed it out so I can refer to it from time to time when reading everyone's posts.

sk8tngcanuck

Starshine,

You are a wealth of information. I sure do enjoy reading your posts as I have a 7 year old skater on my hands. She went into her first year of Star Skate last year, due in large part to advice from members of this forum. I think she had a very successful year, personally, keeping in mind I am the mom.

She skated 7 hours per week, and had 6 semi private lessons per week. In her first year, she has passed her Dutch Waltz and Baby Blues, and is testing her Canasta this summer. She consistently lands a salchow, toe loop, and loop. She lands her flip about 75 percent and after watching the older kids work on axels, she has begun working dilligently on hers. She is under-rotating right now by 1/4 turn, but her coach says she has never seen a kid pick it up as quickly.

All the older kids in the club love her spirit and constantly tell me that she should compete in creative because she has so much musicality and attitude. Right now she lives to skate. It is all she wants to do. She is upset that I am "making" her take holidays with the family rather than sending her to summer skating school!

I suppose my question for you is how long have you been skating? What are your goals? Any advice you can give the mom of a child who lives to skate?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast