My New Schedule ... Advice for Parents of Skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

My New Schedule ... Advice for Parents of Skaters

• Thread starter Cinderella On Ice
  • Start date
S

sk8tngcanuck

skating

Cinderella,

I would never consider you a buttinski! Since this whole thing is relatively new to me, I am a sponge who will absorb every piece of advice offered. I only want to do what is right for her, and since I never really skated as a kid, I don't have that experience to draw on. I do know that having a balanced life is VERY important. She and I just had quite the disagreement recently about her having to take a family vacation with us instead of skating all 5 weeks of summer camp with her friends. She was quite indignant that she "gets stuck going to the lake" (her words) while all her friends (2 to be exact,lol) get to skate. I told her that skipping family vacation was not an option, but that I would compromise and take her for "drop in" during the other 3 weeks that we are around. '

This year, she is going to take dance lessons one day a week and she will take part in the off ice fitness training that is offered once per week. As much as I have tried to encourage other activity, she just doesn't want to. She gets teary eyed at the thought of NOT skating, in fact she wants to skate 5 days a week. I am a firm believer in not putting all one's eggs in one basket, but I also am insistent that my kids take part in one outside activity of their choice year round. For now her love is skating, and I will do all I can to encourage it. She may one day decide that she doesn't want to continue skating, and if that happens that is just fine too! I always tell my kids that when it ceases to be enjoyable, you should no longer continue. (Does not pertain to math!)

Thanks so much for all your advice both starshine and Cinderella! I am sure I will draw on your experience often this upcoming season.

Oh, and just FYI, these are the goals she has set for this season : Pass Canasta Tango, Fiesta, and Swing dances, pass prelim freeskate and participate in 5 competitons, placing no lower than 5th, but preferably top 3 in each! She is NUTS I tell you! Those are pretty hefty goals and I have explained to her that goals are wonderful but that they should always be within reach. I told her I feel that is a pretty heavy load for one year, but she insists that with hard work she can do it. We will see!

Canuck

G

Glacierskater

Re: My New Schedule ... Advice for Parents of Skaters

Cinderella,
I am testing for my pre bronze and bronze in August. I am excited for you! I will looking to see how you did. Your schedule sounds full. You are either going to be in great shape, or really tired, or both! Do you have any competition plans coming up? I am curious and I love to hear what other adult skaters are doing.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Glacierskater - woo hoo for you! I will cross my fingers and toes for your August testing (though I'm concerned that will make it kind of hard to land my jumps! :lol: ).

I see that you've posted in several spots here, so forgive me if I'm asking what you've already answered. Can you share more about your skating (have you just started, how old are you, what region of what country are you in)? I'm just curious about everything!

What music are you using for your Bronze FS? When you test for Pre-Bronze, will you link all the elements together or just do them one at a time? I take it that you have already passed your Moves in the Field, or are you testing everything in one day (you brave person, you!).

My competition plans are actually to first pass all of my adult tests through Gold (by January 2004) and then compete at Adult Nationals in April 2004. I don't know whether any competitions will be available to me before then, so if not, it will be quite a leap to go from not having skated for 30 years, to competing at the national level! (Just in case you didn't read it somewhere else, I HAVE to compete at no less than the Gold level because of ISI tests I passed when I was 7-14 years old!)

F

Figureskates

Cindy, looks like I will see you in Lake Placid next April for Adult Nationals.

Most likely not competing but volunteering as my club is host.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Figureskates - Cool! Maybe you could send me a PM with your first name and/or some identifying information so I'll know you when I see you. This will give me one more reason to work hard to pass my tests in time so I'm eligible to compete!

BTW, I know that everyone really appreciates all the volunteers who make the competition happen, so three cheers for you! Thanks in advance for taking the time to do something that helps all of us adult skaters.

F

Figureskates

Ciny, I will probably put my screen name under my name on the badge since I use the same handle on all the boards and I know quite a few adults who will most likely be competing.

I may compete as well if I can finish up all the requirements fror bronze this winter. When not skating I will most likely be on the registration desk.

S

sk8er1964

Lake Placid

Figureskates - I'll be at Lake Placid too. I volunteered quite a bit this last year (I live near Ann Arbor) and would like to volunteer at least a little bit next year, for competition or practice ice monitoring. So keep me in mind when you all are putting together your volunteer lists.