My New Schedule ... Advice for Parents of Skaters | Golden Skate

My New Schedule ... Advice for Parents of Skaters

• Thread starter Cinderella On Ice
  • Start date
C

Cinderella On Ice

My New Schedule ... Advice for Parents of Skaters

Gosh, it was like putting together a complicated puzzle, but I've finally come up with my new training schedule for the summer. I'm trying to incorporate moves and freestyle on-ice practices with strength training (2x week), endurance (1x), flexibility (5x) and off-ice jumping/sport cords (1x). Plus I've worked in my racquetball league matches (3x) and bowling (1x).

I'm going to skate mornings on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday (+lesson), and add 15-30 minutes of flexibility stretches after each one. I'll also skate Friday afternoons and add a 15-20 minute endurance exercise at the end of the practice.

I talked to my coach tonight and we're going to do a double lesson this Thursday AND next, plus add a lesson on Friday so that we can bang out my Bronze freestyle program (finally) so I can kamikaze practice it before testing (hopefully) on July 18.

Phew, this all is making me tired just thinking about it!

L

Lanechka

Re: My New Schedule

Wow! What a schedule!

I won't have a lot of time for skating this summer because I'm in next year's academic decathalon team so I have to write a speech about the human condition and read this one book 10+ times. But I'll figure out how to work it all in... I'm trying to get my dad to take me to aerobics or pilates classes somewhere because I want to do more off-ice stuff than practicing jumps at home and stretching at home. Any suggestions, Cinderella? Good luck with that schedule! :)

<strong>-Lanie</strong>

C

Cinderella On Ice

Lanechka - what's the book that you have to read? Sorry to hear that you might have to cut back on skating. I was worried that I would too, just because they were cutting back on the available practices. But now that we've solved that problem, I'm a happy girl.

I think you're smart to want to do some Pilates or aerobics. Have you checked out whether your local park district offers any classes over the summer? Usually those are accessible AND affordable and you don't have to worry about joining some health club in order to do them. I found the Pilates to be extremely helpful for my skating, and not just because I'm "older." If it's done correctly, it's a pretty intense workout which really strengthens your muscles, especially your abs, which is great for all skating but especially things like spirals, camel spins, sit spins, etc. Having your core be strong is very important. I find that I don't have the motivation to do Pilates on my own (even with a videotape), so I'm better off taking a class. Whereas I'm more likely to do aerobic activity without prodding.

However, videotapes are another alternative for you if you can't find a class or your dad doesn't want to drive. You can even borrow the videos from a local library and it costs you nothing. You can just keep switching them around. They also usually have a pretty good supply of fitness books and magazines which could help you put a program together.

Those are my only recommendations at the moment. Let me know what you find out.

L

Lanechka

The book is Death Comes for the Archibishop by Willa Cather. Sucks for me because I do NOT like Cather's writing at all. I've tried reading O Pioneers! and My Antonia. Didn't work out. Oh, well.

I don't know what our park district offers, although I should definitely check it out! :)

C

Cinderella On Ice

Hmm I, too have read My Antonia and I can't remember if I've read O Pioneers OR Death Comes to the Archbishop. But I do remember that that pretty much made it impossible for me and Willa to get together again. :lol: I know her books are considered classics, but they just didn't do it for me either. I must have read them pre-1993, because I went to my reading list to see what I had said about them, and they weren't even on there. Good luck with the project. Maybe you'll be driven to skate just for the relief! :lol:

S

sk8er1964

One busy schedule!

Wow, Cinderella - that is one busy schedule you've set. Good for you, though!

I just wanted to say - good luck on the Bronze FS test. When will you test the Gold MIF's?

S

starshinexavier

Re: One busy schedule!

WOW Cindy! You're gonna be one busy girl! Without a doubt, you'll get your bronze freeskate test and those pesky adult moves with all the skating you're doing. Next thing you know, you'll be doing 2 flips and 2 lutzes! What types of elements do you need to do for your freeskate test? I'm no where near familiar with any ISI or USFSA tests, so any information would help. Have fun with the tons of sessions you'll have this summer.

Happy Skating! :D

C

Cinderella On Ice

Sk8ter1964 - To answer your question, I'm hoping to test the Gold Moves on July 18, the same day as the Bronze Freestyle.

Starshine - The bronze elements are fairly simple: a salchow, a toe loop and a single jump of your choice (mine's the flip), a waltz jump/toe loop combo, a back spin, a one foot spin, and a sit spin. Except for my on-again/off-again back spin, nothing causes me any trouble all by itself. My fear is that it's been 30 years since I've "performed" a program, especially in front of judges, and things which are so "easy" to do suddenly become wooden and stiff-kneed. That's why I'm anxious to get my coach to choreograph and sign off on the program so I can practice the heck out of it!

Yesterday I began my first upper body strength training since breaking my wrist, and it went great, but I just <em>toasted</em> my arms and shoulders! Today was my first day of off-ice jumping/cord drills/plyometrics, and now I've toasted my lower body. I'm not sure, and you might want to check in on me tonight, but soon I might be so fit that I'll be unable to walk or lift my head! :rollin: Just kidding, I need all of this to whip me into shape. I finished with 15 minutes of flexibility stretches, and I actually feel pretty good.

Hope you all are having a good day today.

S

starshinexavier

Cindy, thanks for posting the elements. They're very similar to the elements in the Preliminary Freeskate up here in Canada(except there are more elements). Is it just a program, or are there elements in isolation as well?

Up here, our freeskate tests have 2 parts; the elements and the program. In order to have completed the test, you need to pass both parts. It's possible to pass one part and have to retry another part on a later day. This happened to me. I got the elements for Sr.Bronze on the first try, and it took me 5 tries to get the program.

Don't worry about performing the program. You'll do fine. Do like me and practice infront of a neutral party before the test. Hound that coach of yours to get your program done. What music are you using? The strength training you're doing seems to be working for the best. Keep it up!

Happy Skating!:D

C

Cinderella On Ice

Starshine - thanks for the good advice on hounding the coach. That's exactly what I'm (finally) doing. She tends to take it for granted that since I skating before (a quadrillion light years ago), that I'm "good to go" at the drop of a hat. As you've rightly pointed out, it is one thing to be able to do the individual elements. It's another (harder thing) to pull them together in a program.

Our testing has two separate parts -- the Moves in the Field, which are training elements that consist of patterns that encourage deep edges, power, extension, etc. and then the freestyle programs. So when you test the separate elements, it will include three turns, chocktaws, mowhawks, brackets, etc. in an arranged pattern, but not things like the jumps and spins. Those are in the programs. If you mess something up in the freestyle, the judges can ask you to repeat ONE element after your program (like a sit spin) and you have one shot at getting it right and they can choose to pass you. You can't retry more than one thing.

Is that similar in Canada? BTW, I just hooked up with an email list group called Competitive Adult Skaters (18+) and have found out that they're primarily based in Canada. So I'm learning lots more about "your" systems there. ;)

S

starshinexavier

Our tests are a tinge different. Our equivalent of MITF is Skills, and they're in a totally different stream than the FS tests. Skills tests have different turns, edges, and field moves in perscribed patterns all done to music. There are 3 exercises in each level, and you need to pass all 3 to pass the level. You can reskate one exercise.

The freeskate tests, like I said above, have 2 parts too. Part 1 has stroking exercises, individual jumps, jump combinations/sequences, individual spins, combination spins, a step sequence and field moves. There are 14 elements to be performed, and in order to pass, you need to complete 12 of the 14 elements successfully. 4 elements may be reskated if necessary.

Part 2 consists of the freeskate program. There are 12 different criteria on the tests and you need to complete 10 of the 12 in order to pass. There is a technical component (individual jumps, combo jump, jump sequence, individual spins, combo spin, step sequence) and a presentation component (use of ice, use of music, sureness of skating skills, carriage/line/form, connecting steps and program compostition). It is possible to not complete all the perscribed elements in order to pass. You have to complete 2/3 of the jump criteria, 1/2 of the spin criteria, carriage/line/form and sureness of skating skills in order to pass, along with having 10 of the overall criterias completed. Does this make any sense? I hope it helps give you an idea of what FS tests are like here in Canada. If you need more clarification, just ask, and I'll do my best to make sense of all this.

Happy Skating!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Sarah - thanks for all that info. It sounds rather complicated at first, but when you read through it a couple of times, it makes a lot of sense. Is there a website where you can go and look up the elements for each of the tests?

S

starshinexavier

The elements aren't listed on the Skate Canada site, but a while back I typed out what' s on Dance, Skill and Freeskate Tests in Canada. Here's the link: <a href="http://www.synchroboards.com/board/...54d5e9785b187c59167bc&act=ST&f=15&t=6975&st=0" target="top">Skate Canada Tests</a>

You'll have to scroll down about half way down the page to find the post where it lists what's on the tests. I'd recommend checking the link immediately, since I have no idea when the link will no longer be available. I hope this helps!

Happy Skating!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Thanks, I printed it out so I can refer to it from time to time when reading everyone's posts.

S

sk8tngcanuck

Starshine,

You are a wealth of information. I sure do enjoy reading your posts as I have a 7 year old skater on my hands. She went into her first year of Star Skate last year, due in large part to advice from members of this forum. I think she had a very successful year, personally, keeping in mind I am the mom.

She skated 7 hours per week, and had 6 semi private lessons per week. In her first year, she has passed her Dutch Waltz and Baby Blues, and is testing her Canasta this summer. She consistently lands a salchow, toe loop, and loop. She lands her flip about 75 percent and after watching the older kids work on axels, she has begun working dilligently on hers. She is under-rotating right now by 1/4 turn, but her coach says she has never seen a kid pick it up as quickly.

All the older kids in the club love her spirit and constantly tell me that she should compete in creative because she has so much musicality and attitude. Right now she lives to skate. It is all she wants to do. She is upset that I am "making" her take holidays with the family rather than sending her to summer skating school!

I suppose my question for you is how long have you been skating? What are your goals? Any advice you can give the mom of a child who lives to skate?

S

starshinexavier

sk8tngcanuck, sounds like you've got a future star on your hands. As long as she loves skating, keep her in it, and fuel her passion for the sport, and who knows, she might be the next Canadian champ! What level does she compete in?

In response to your questions, I'll be starting my 14th year skating in the fall. It doesn't seem like it at all either. I only really have 3 more skating goals left, get Gold Dance, compete in Gold Triathlon and become a skating coach. I'm working on Gold Dance now, I will compete in Gold Triathlon next winter, and I take my first coaching course in less than a month. My other goals, Gold Skills, Gold Interpretive, National Gold Medal, and a solo in a skating carnival, well I've already achieved them. For someone who is tall, un-coordinated, and klutzy, with no natural skating ability, I've done quite well for myself.

I do have some advice for you. Please, as long as your daughter's in skating, respect the relationship between her and her coach. Her coach is the expert, and although you might have disagreements with them, they know best. Also, make sure your daughter is respected by her coach, and during her private lessons, make sure the coach is giving her their undivided attention. After all, you want the most for your money. ;) Most importantly, enjoy watching your daughter develop as a skater and an individual. Her passion will rub off on you, and this can and will be something special to share between the two of you. Enjoy it!!!:D

S

sk8tngcanuck

Starshine,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for the excellent advice. I couldn't agree more with you about respecting the relationship of coach and child. I have a full respect for their relationship and for the coaches abilities. My belief is that I pay her for her professional knowledge, and that she certainly doesn't need my two cents.

Congrats on achieving the majority of your goals! As to coaching, out of curiosity, which province are you in? If you have ever looked at the skate canada classifieds, I am sure you have seen the huge demand for coaching, especially here in AB. All the best to you!

S

starshinexavier

Re: ..

Thanks for the thanks! :D I like seeing people succeed, and I think your daughter just might be one of them who does.

I live in Ontario, and compete in the Western Ontario Section. I won't be a qualified coach until next summer though. I have quite a bit of assignments and such I need to get done before I can start. There are many jobs available in WOS, so I'm hoping I can get a job at a local arena. There's no chance of me relocating, due to the fact I'm starting university in the fall, and it has one of the best programs in the country for the program I'm taking.

Best of luck, and Happy Skating!

C

Cinderella On Ice

7 Year Old Skater

<strong>Sk8tngcanuck</strong> - I agree with you that Starshine's advice is excellent and she should be an inspiration for younger kids (heck, she's been inspiring us "oldsters" here as well!).

An important thing you said in your post is that your daughter "lives" to skate, meaning that her motivation is coming from within. This is just excellent, and should always be the case as you move forward. However, it puts a real burden on you as the parent to make sure of several things. First, even those who live to skate have some bad days/times, and you will have to differentiate these in order to know when to "push" forward just in order to get over a hump or two and when to back off, if the "magic" is gone. No one should be "forced" to skate, in the grand picture. But at 7 years old, all of us needed instruction in how to keep ourselves motivated, as there is always some ebb and flow, especially as she ages and becomes interested in other things (boys, for example). She'll need help understanding how you weave your passion into the rest of your life so you're not "missing out" on things but rather making your own choices.

Second, these days its very important for parents to guard against overtraining. Many of the skaters now put their bodies through so much more and at younger ages and then pay the price with repetitive stress injuries and some pretty serious problems. At age 7, in your own mind you are indestructible, so it's up to the parents to be sure the right off-ice conditioning and cross training and REST are occuring.

Third, I think every skater would agree that their skating can be helped considerably by other activities (such as ballet and other dance, Pilates, etc.). This is good for two reasons. First of all, you want your kid to be well-rounded in their development (skating FS for example, forcuses on the individual, so maybe some team activity would be good), but also in case there is a time when skating must be left behind, you certainly don't want that to be the only part of the child that's been developed.

Having said these things, I'll also assure you that for the most part your child will have no concept of the "gift" that you've given her and the sacrifices you've made to allow her to skate. At a young age, we are the center of our universe and don't have a clue. I can tell you from experience that as the skater matures, it becomes perfectly clear the role that the parents played and it's a bond that brings you even closer. I'm 46 and now that I've "rediscovered" skating and it's awoken all those old passions, I tell my father almost weekly how much I appreciate what he gave up so I could skate. I also contacted my former pairs partner's mom and my best skating friend's mom to thank them for everything they did (chauffering, overnights, costumes) that helped me to follow my passion.

I believe there are some good books out there now for skating moms and dads and you might want to scope them out for some expert advice.

Hope this helps and that I'm not being a "buttinski"!

S

starshinexavier

Re: 7 Year Old Skater

Aww..........Cindy.............you gave me a tear with that. That's sooo sweet, thank you! It made my day!(Along with the fact I qualify for a $2000 scholarship!) Your post was abosolutely excellent, and you're completely right with everything you said.

I have a dear friend, more like a sister, who is 13 years old, and competes at the novice level. She's an incredibly talented skater, she had all her single jumps at 8, and all her doubles (minus the axel) by the time she was turning 10. And she's made it to Sectionals twice in the past 3 years as well. Now, as a teenager, she's discovering boys, parties, friends, etc. and for a while during the past season, her focus was elsewhere. She put more of an emphasis on her social life, rather than her training schedule, and that cost her dearly at Sectionals, with a disappointing skate in her short program, causing her to be 18th out of 20 skaters. Thankfully, she got a reality check from that, and put everything back in perspective, thanks to the help of our coach and myself. Her passion for the sport is burning brightly once again, more so now that she has a clean double axel, and slightly underrotated triple sal and triple loop. Sometimes not doing so well can motivate them to do better, but how they handle the not doing so well is what's most important. My friend has resorted to temper tantrums in the past, which does not look good for her image, especially when politics are involved. She has straightened herself out tremendously, simply because her parents and coach were not going to take anymore of her childish behaviour. This is something that parents of talented skaters do need to be aware of, because it CAN definitely happen. I hope this helps bring some sort of perspective.

Happy Skating!:D