GP Speculation-2013-2014: THE LADIES | Page 3 | Golden Skate

GP Speculation-2013-2014: THE LADIES

Country
Russia
Leonova finished the season with 13th place at Worlds with a score 5 points higher than what Gosviani scored at Euros. Gosviani obviously didn't impress the Russian federation with her Euros performance, so they didn't send her to Worlds.
I believe, Gosviani was sent to Euro at first to stimulate Leonova skate better.
Her result at Euro is not impressive.

Leovova won Gosviani at Final of Russian Cup and because of this earned Worlds.
But Leonova did not impressed RusFed at Worlds.

I don't know who is less (or more) impressive for RusFed - Leonova or Gosviani.
If possible, RusFed will make two GP Events for both. For whom first - it is the question.

hanca

Record Breaker
Russia won only 4 medals in the 2012 GP, and they were won by Lipnitskaia, Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova.

Not enough for you? Should we check how many medals in ladies was won by Canada or US?

Canada won one, Osmomd's gold in SC.
US medaled in 4 out of 6 events and had a total 6 medals. Ashley got gold at SA and TEB, Gracie got silver at CoR, Christina got silver at SA, Agnes bronze at CoR and Mirai at NHK. Including Ash's silver at GPF, that's 7.

Including GPF, US is tied with Japan with the most medals at 7 each, but Us had more skaters medal at 5 vs. 3 (Mao. Akiko and Kanako).

US may have more medals than Russia, but the bottom line is that Russia and Japan qualified 2 ladies to GPF. US qualified one; the second US lady got in only because one of the Russian ladies had to withdraw for injuries. Maybe it is not about quantity (number of medals), but quality!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Leonova should not get a GP assignment nor should Makarova or Nikol G - for one fluke performance
I think they are all done

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
US may have more medals than Russia, but the bottom line is that Russia and Japan qualified 2 ladies to GPF. US qualified one; the second US lady got in only because one of the Russian ladies had to withdraw for injuries. Maybe it is not about quantity (number of medals), but quality!

The US got the 3rd spot back for next years Olympics and Worlds while the Russian ladies lost a spot so i think right now the US is at least as strong at the top as the Russian girls are.

hanca

Record Breaker
The US got the 3rd spot back for next years Olympics and Worlds while the Russian ladies lost a spot so i think right now the US is at least as strong at the top as the Russian girls are.

We will see. I don't deny that Worlds was good competition for US ladies and bad competition for Russian ladies. Then again if you compare their results at 4CC and Europeans, you may notice that Europeans was good competition for Russian ladies and 4CC not so great for US ladies. We will see the next season, how it will work out. I definitely think that Russian ladies are not any worse than US ladies. In my opinion they are better, but we will see. I wonder how long Ashley Wagner will be achieving with her limited technical difficulty...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
We will see. I don't deny that Worlds was good competition for US ladies and bad competition for Russian ladies. Then again if you compare their results at 4CC and Europeans, you may notice that Europeans was good competition for Russian ladies and 4CC not so great for US ladies. We will see the next season, how it will work out. I definitely think that Russian ladies are not any worse than US ladies. In my opinion they are better, but we will see. I wonder how long Ashley Wagner will be achieving with her limited technical difficulty...

I can almost Guarantee Gracie will be the leading US lady for Sochi
Ashley would be lucky to get silver at 2014 Nationals with her no 3-3 or 2A-3T she pretty much passed her peak

besides Wagner is a non threat for a OGM only Gracie can challenge the big 3

hanca

Record Breaker
I can almost Guarantee Gracie will be the leading US lady for Sochi
Ashley would be lucky to get silver at 2014 Nationals with her no 3-3 or 2A-3T she pretty much passed her peak

besides Wagner is a non threat for a OGM only Gracie can challenge the big 3

Can she? She definitely did not do much challenging at 4CC and at Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not enough for you? Should we check how many medals in ladies was won by Canada or US?

USA sent 7 ladies to the 2012 GP and five of them won medals: Wagner (2 gold), Gao and Gold (silver), Nagasu and Zawadzki (bronze). Total medals won by USA: 6

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can she? She definitely did not do much challenging at 4CC and at Worlds.

Finishing 6th at her first Worlds is a great accomplishment for Gold in her first season as a Senior. She has a great future.

Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have been predicted to win everything in sight, but they finished behind Gold and Wagner. I doubt very much Gold will be on the podium in Sochi but she should challenge for the World podium in the next quadrennial.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Finishing 6th at her first Worlds is a great accomplishment for Gold in her first season as a Senior. She has a great future.

Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have been predicted to win everything in sight, but they finished behind Gold and Wagner. I doubt very much Gold will be on the podium in Sochi but she should challenge for the World podium in the next quadrennial.

its not even about making the podium next quad but when she will win the gold medal
Gracie is that talented

Sylvia

Record Breaker
its not even about making the podium next quad but when she will win the gold medal
Gracie is that talented
Oh, I recognize your type of posts from another forum. I happen to dislike such "grand prediction" posts about any young skater because it often turns fans against the innocent skater and/or encourages them to criticize his/her skating more harshly than is necessary. I prefer to let young skaters develop at their own pace and let their skating do the talking.

Back on topic...

Looking at post #1, the top 12 ladies from Worlds are guaranteed 2 GP assignment each and 18 other ladies currently either are top 24 WS (projected) and/or have a top 24 SB score. If all 18 happen to receive 2 GPs each, that means the 60 GP slots would be filled (10 slots for each of the 6 GPs). We'll have to wait and see which few ladies end up returning to the JGP and which ones not currently on the lists will get 1 GP via host pick or otherwise.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Finishing 6th at her first Worlds is a great accomplishment for Gold in her first season as a Senior.

Very true, since Kwan was 8th at her first Worlds, Lipinski was 15th at her first Worlds, and Yamaguchi was (also) 6th at her first Worlds!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at post #1, the top 12 ladies from Worlds are guaranteed 2 GP assignment each and 18 other ladies currently either are top 24 WS (projected) and/or have a top 24 SB score. If all 18 happen to receive 2 GPs each, that means the 60 GP slots would be filled (10 slots for each of the 6 GPs). We'll have to wait and see which few ladies end up returning to the JGP and which ones not currently on the lists will get 1 GP via host pick or otherwise.

It does happen each year that a skater or two not on either of the 'guarantee' lists gets invited to a GP (not a host pick). Usually at least one host pick per host is not on either list as well. That's why not all the high-ranked WRs and SBs will get two spots; that's been the case since the ISU cut the singles events from 12 to 10.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Leonova should not get a GP assignment nor should Makarova or Nikol G - for one fluke performance
I think they are all done

Leonova doesn't really deserve it after her season but she will probably get 2 anyways...Nikol will probably get 1 event, maybe 2 with host pick. Idk about Makarova. This may depend on Pogorilaya and if she does JGP or GP and if she gets 1 spot or 2 (IMHO, she deserves 2 a lot more than Leonova but idk what the Fed even thinks about Pogo at this point given she's so new to the scene and young).

gmyers

Record Breaker
I would think based on results there is no doubt US is stronger than Russia in ladies. Is that a debate? Gold turned out be greater than all of them.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I had to choose a surprise candidate to challenge the Big 3 in Sochi, it would be Gracie Gold.

As I've written before, a year is a LONG LONG time for a girl at this age to develop artistically and to even improve technically.

The bones are there for a champion; whether she can pull it all together in a year... I, too, have my doubts. But the idea is not preposterous, as some posters seem to believe.

After all, look at how much she improved this year. Who among us predicted a WC top 6 placement for her at the beginning of the year?

ForeverFish

Medalist
I would think based on results there is no doubt US is stronger than Russia in ladies. Is that a debate? Gold turned out be greater than all of them.

True, but (even as a Gracie Gold fan), I have to pose the question:

How would Worlds have been different, if at all, had the Russians skated at their full ability?

gmyers

Record Breaker

How would Worlds have been different, if at all, had the Russians skated at their full ability?

Well at full ability in sp or fs or even one or the other of course they might have beaten both gold and Wagner maybe. But they were not at that zijun li level

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

None of Osmond, Gold, or Wagner skated their best at Worlds either. Why just speculate on the Russians. Osmond had the worst errors of all by far and still finished ahead of both Russians, tied Sotnikova in PCS with her hot mess of a LP performance and easily bested an almost clean Tuktamysheva in them, so draw your own conclusions. Sotnikova is probably the least capable of all of that group of skating a clean LP or clean competition to boot, so even less reason to speculate on her than the others.