Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't anyone like pairs skating any more?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    why and how could they "save" it? just wondering..
    To be clear, they can save it for me, personally. I love their flow on the ice, their oneness, their lines, their emoting.

Whether they can save it for anyone else, who can say? The last pair I truly loved was Shen & Zhao. The first pair I ever loved was the Protopopovs.

You will note the absence of North American pairs in the list, although if I had to pick a favorite pair today, it would be M-T/M.
    However, the COP rules are such that D&R deserve to be marked higher than M-T/M. That alone is one reason that watching pairs is no joy whatsoever right now for me. I cannot answer for anyone else; however, NBC did not even show the list of pair finishers in their coverage today-and there were 2 North American pairs at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    why and how could they "save" it? just wondering..
    They could save it by showing amazing artistic and technical programs like they did in Vancouver!
    Also hoping that Steuer gets his choreo back to Piña level brilliantness for S and S

But in response to the original question, almost all of the top pairs have shittastic programs. Especially Volosozhar and Trankov. That SP was vomit worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    judges will always love that classical lines and Pairs
    that you associate with Gordeeva/Grinkov, Brezhnaya/Sikhuralidze and now with Volosozhar/Trankov
    I don't associate Volosozhar and Trankov with classical lines. They have some pretty ugly lifts. If you want classical lines, look at Vera Bazarova. She has some of if not the best lift positions of all time. And her manservant does a good job at showcasing her beautiful lines and extension.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I don't associate Volosozhar and Trankov with classical lines. They have some pretty ugly lifts. If you want classical lines, look at Vera Bazarova. She has some of if not the best lift positions of all time. And her manservant does a good job at showcasing her beautiful lines and extension.

V/T should not be mentioned in the same breath as G/G and B/S. No, no. V/T are very strong technically and powerful but IMHO only Tanya consistently and intentionally pays attention to her presentation. The basic glide and quality of transitions of these pairs has not been matched in the COP era. But as long as COP give V/T marks for what they're currently doing, even when they have disastrous programs, I'll hold my breath till another pairs team can draw me in the way these classic pairs did. We need new talent and fast.

I suppose Pairs is the least interesting for me. Always liked men and ladies better and Dance well i used to do some ice dance myself so like it more than Pairs too. I however have a much bigger interest in Pairs when there are great quality teams. The first pair i adored is G&G who made pairs skating so beautiful and romantic. Also loved B/S,S/P, and S/Z. I do love the skating of V/T. S/S i like too but usually find their programs a bit strange. Enjoy both the top Canadian pairs but V/T are the pair who i like best on the ice right now.I find him quite expressive for a male pairs skater. Oh the Protopopov's are so sweet. I once had a session when they were skating. Lovely couple. Are they still able to skate?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Im saying they are the closest to pre CoP, B/S were really the last complete pair, huge twists, big jumps, lovely lines, they had chemistry
    Vera has lovely lines but Yuri does not , you are right he is merely there to showcase Vera which makes him a background/irrelevant

Rinkside
    Pang/Tong need to eat.

Pairs is the only discipline that was completely ruined by IJS. It used to be very dangerous and difficult, but now it's almost a joke how much danger one has to accept to do it. I think this has reduced the numbers of skaters interested in pairs. Second, IJS has made spins, spirals, and SBS jumps uglier than before. There is no way to make a pairs program connected to music with how IJS rewards them.

Custom Title
    I agree, its far more unpopular than it used to be. For example, here in the UK at nationals there's only been 1 senior pairs team competing for a while, and the junior and novice categories fluctuate between 1-4. Ice dance and singles however, have so many more competitors!

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I'm recalling that I rarely invested much time in Ice Dance during the 6.0 days. It just wasn't worth the bother. But I loved watching pairs back then...

Now under CoP, it's just the opposite.

I've always loved both, but these days, I just love dance a whole lot more, and since 2010, it's worse.

Custom Title
    I was surprised to see this thread - thought it was just me no longer caring if I missed pairs in a competition. Pairs today forces the skaters to do the jumps that singles have to do which IMO isn't quite fair. They already have a huge challenge trying to "skate as one" so why should they also have to do two sets of side by side (perfectly timed of course) triples? Gone are the gorgeous Ina Bauers which used to be such a thrill to see. In the past few years I've switched my preference to ice dance now that this discipline has become more interesting to me (with the exception of the overuse of gymnastic lifts).

They should make one of the lifts a 'choreographed' pair lift and it should only be rated for the quality (GOE only). Fixed base elements are good because it removes the whole thing about levels. If they can do it, pairs would look a little more beautiful.

Unfortunately, if you check out how the choreo lift works in dance, you find that they become as complex as the regular lifts :(

Custom Title
    Oddly, what has happened in Pairs is that it's become almost like the CD in dance. All the top pairs use the same moves, so you see the same elements executed over and over again, because those are the ones with the highest point value. There are few surprises and a fair number of stumbles and bumbles, even from the best teams.

The end result is that Pairs competitions are, well, boring.

Custom Title
    Speaking only for myself, in contradiction to the premise of this thread which does not speak for me, pairs was always the discipline I was least interested in. It seemed to me that it was almost always all about the tricks, and a lot of those tricks in the 1980s and 90s tended to be about holding the same position for a long a time without nuance or variation (simple lifts, death spirals, etc.) so they tended to put me to sleep.

There were a few pairs who had personality and dynamic variation, so I tended to enjoy those

E.g., errors aside, I certainly enjoyed Mishkutionok/Dmitriev more than Gordeeva/Grinkov in 1994, even though I understood why G/G were technically better overall and why they won.

So the change in judging system didn't suddenly make me love a discipline that had previously bored me, nor did it turn me off further. It probably made me slightly more interested, because I was curious at first about how each team would use variations to gain more points in their elements, some of which were new and creative. Then things settled down as most teams found the same most efficient ways to gain levels and variations that used to be original now became standard, while others remained so rare we hardly ever see them.

There are still only a few teams that catch my attention in terms of point of view and choreography. Savchenko/Szolkowy have been my favorites for a number of years for that reason.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast