Thread: Polina Shelepen to compete for Israel

Hybrid View

News Polina Shelepen to compete for Israel

MOSCOW, March 23 (R-Sport) – Promising Russian figure skater Polina Shelepen is to compete for Israel, her coach Svetlana Sokolovskaya told R-Sport on Saturday.

More

Custom Title
    How does getting an passport qualify you to compete for a country? Is she and her family going to live there? Do you know what her roots there are?

she probably has Israeli roots because for Israeli repatriation/citizenship you need to have lineage of Israeli ancestry

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    she probably has Israeli roots because for Israeli repatriation/citizenship you need to have lineage of Israeli ancestry
    You need to have Jewish ancestry, not Israeli. I could go become an Israeli citizen, being Jewish, though none of my family has ever lived in Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    You need to have Jewish ancestry, not Israeli. I could go become an Israeli citizen, being Jewish, though none of my family has ever lived in Israel.
    sorry yes Jewish is what i meant
    so Israel allows up to how many degrees in Jewish lineage
    a quarter jewish or are you eligible for citizenship even 1/8 or from a great great great grandparents ?

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    sorry yes Jewish is what i meant
    so Israel allows up to how many degrees in Jewish lineage
    a quarter jewish or are you eligible for citizenship even 1/8 or from a great great great grandparents ?

According to the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

4A. (a) The rights of a Jew under this Law and the rights of an oleh under the Nationality Law, 5712-1952***, as well as the rights of an oleh under any other enactment, are also vested in a child and a grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a Jew, the spouse of a child of a Jew and the spouse of a grandchild of a Jew, except for a person who has been a Jew and has voluntarily changed his religion.
    So, you have to have at least Jewish grandparent (or be married to a person with a Jewish grandparent) and not have converted to another religion from Judaism.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    How does getting an passport qualify you to compete for a country? Is she and her family going to live there? Do you know what her roots there are?
    It's that simple. Getting a passport normally qualifies you to compete for a country. Residency is usually not a matter of competing, passport is. There are plenty of skaters competing for other countries who aren't full time residents of the passport country. I assume that she is has Jewish ancestry somewhere in the not-too-distant past. Israel has dispensations for acquiring their citizenship to Jews and particularly those from Russia and other Eastern European countries. She'll still have to meet the Israeli team and skating federation standards; presumably that won't be a problem for her. The only fly in the ointment for ISU competitions is if she needs a release from Russia in order to compete next season, since she competed for Russia internationally in the 2012-2013 season.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this switch had been under consideration for some time.

Custom Title
    This is a smart move, considering she has a slim chance of competing in Sochi anyway so the earlier she switches the better. Skating for Israel, she will have the opportunity to compete at Worlds and grow through the inevitable good and bad seasons in her career which would not be cut short or diminished due to one bad year or competition. She would have a chance to become a mature skater a la Kostner, Rochette, and other talented skaters from a weak field.

Custom Title
    Definitely a good move! Competition is so strong in Russia so she'll have such a better chance in Israel.

Really a smart move!!!!!

Medalist
    If you have citizenship with the country you are switching to, no release from the former country is required. When was Polina's last international competition in which she competed for Russia? She has to wait 1 year (or is it 2 for singles skaters- I know it is one for pars/ dance- see V/T) from the date of that competition to compete internationally for the new country.

ETA- I see in the article it is 18 months for singles skaters for Olympics, but 1 year for grand prix. While she won't be able to compete in the Olympics, she could compete at Worlds.

Custom Title
    This is a great idea that will benefit both Polina and Israel. I don't think she has to live there or train there to skate for Israel.

Custom Title
    Is it just me, or when a skater switches nationality, their skating deterioates?

Tripping on the Podium
    Good for her