Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Polina Shelepen to compete for Israel

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Coach can't take away your jumps. The reason why she had problems with her jumps was that she was injured throughout the season, eventually withdrawing from several competitions. The reason definitely wasn't that Sokolovskaya messed jumps up.
    I don't know much about this, but numerous posters have pointed out the pattern of skaters switching to Soklovskaya and getting injured soon afterward, so maybe there IS a correlation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Colanboy View Post
    I don't know much about this, but numerous posters have pointed out the pattern of skaters switching to Soklovskaya and getting injured soon afterward, so maybe there IS a correlation.
    There might be a correlation between having a certain coach and being more injury prone, if a coach doesn't allow the skater to take enough time off to heal. However, there can't possibly be a correlation between changing a coach and forgetting how to jump. The jumps are a skill. The skater learned it and can do it. If you learn how to drive a car, do you believe that someone can take that skill away from you? The skater obviously have to practice the jumps, but this is the skater's responsibility. If the skater doesn't practice the jumps, the jumps may start being inconsistent. But let's not blame the coach for that. The athlete is not having a lesson the whole time they are on ice. They have to also practice sometimes. And by the time the skater get to the elite level, he/she should know how much time they need to spend on practising jumps so that the jumps won't become inconsistent.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Not so. A nationals competition just took place. Netta Schreiber, in Junior ladies, Polina Shelepen in Sr. ladies, Krasnopolski & new partner (Sr pairs), Reed & Rogov in dance, Bolshem and Zilberberg in dance, and some other competitors took part. They held a gala too.

I don't have a results page, but we have a thread for it in other nationals.

Shelepen only did the SP.
    Someone needs to update the wiki page

ONe article was titled: Polina Shelepen announces defection to Israel.

Medalist
    The Israeli Nationals were held the week AFTER Worlds? That seems odd.

I am new around here, so there may be some advantage to this that I am not grasping. What purpose would this scheduling serve?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
    The Israeli Nationals were held the week AFTER Worlds? That seems odd.

I am new around here, so there may be some advantage to this that I am not grasping. What purpose would this scheduling serve?
    For most countries their Nationals is the competition where they choose who they send to worlds. In Israel maybe they don't have such a huge choice of who they will send, so it may not really matter when they do the Nationals. And if it is around Worlds (end of the season) everyone should be in their peak condition, in theory. (I don't know the reason, this is just my guess).

new informations
    http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20130326/653278372.html Piseev's statement.

Custom Title
    Oh, no. I hope it doesn't mean that the Russian Federation would try create problems by refusing to release her?

Custom Title
    Odd concept of a nationals where a skater can skate the short program only.

But, I don't think that she actually skated there, because Pissev in that article says that they haven't realeased her yet...

Custom Title
    That's sort of annoying if they refuse to release her but won't give her any attention or good internationals if she stays in Russia. I know she's a good skater, but come on, they have so many girls to choose from and if Shelepen went out of her way to switch representation so she can finally get the attention a skater of her calliber deserves, the Russian fed should not be greedy and refuse to release her just so they can keep her on the backburner to send to events like Euros, Olympics, Worlds incase the favorites become injured or epicly bomb...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I think it's too early to say who will be in the mix for Russian ladies in 2018. You never know with injuries, puberty monster, switching representations, motivation or lack thereof, personal or psychological issues (related to skating/competing or otherwise) when you are talking about a time 5 years into the future. It will be interesting to watch, but it's hard to say who will be in the mix for Pyeongchang and who will not. However, I do think this is a good move for Shelepen, she is too talented to have her international career be essentially over at the age of 17. Hopefully the coaching situation will prove to work better now that she is healthy again and not facing such stiff competition.
    Agreed. They might have a superstar in the making who is just 11 years old right now and will just be age eligible in 2018. I think Adelina and Liza are going to be factors because they have a lot of good senior results already and factor into the medals at every event except Worlds.

Medalist

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Oh, no. I hope it doesn't mean that the Russian Federation would try create problems by refusing to release her?
    A skater does not need a release from their former country to skate for a new country if they hold citizenship in their new country.

Custom Title
    I'm confused: I thought she simply had a passport, not citizenship. That was why I asked my earlier question about a passport being sufficient to skate for a country.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I'm confused: I thought she simply had a passport, not citizenship. That was why I asked my earlier question about a passport being sufficient to skate for a country.
    As far as I know, you can't have a passport of country you are not citizen.

Custom Title
    Yes, of course. duh lol I guess, as a citizen, she is subject to the legally mandatory military service after she reaches the appropriate age.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast