Polina Shelepen to compete for Israel | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Polina Shelepen to compete for Israel

babayaga

On the Ice
I know they're not singles skaters, but Volosozhar and Kavaguti got better. But as far I understand, many singles skaters who switch to federations that are less prominent invariably get worse results. Who knows, perhaps with less pressure Shelepen might blossom?

I would love to see that. Indeed, maybe the extreme competition in Russia was too much for her to handle. I just wish she finds herself another coach soon, I hate what Sokolovskaya did to her wonderful jumps :(

hanca

Record Breaker
I would love to see that. Indeed, maybe the extreme competition in Russia was too much for her to handle. I just wish she finds herself another coach soon, I hate what Sokolovskaya did to her wonderful jumps :(

Coach can't take away your jumps. The reason why she had problems with her jumps was that she was injured throughout the season, eventually withdrawing from several competitions. The reason definitely wasn't that Sokolovskaya messed jumps up.

Icey

Record Breaker
What kind of financial support do skaters in Israel get? I don't think a nationals competition has been held there since 2008-09.

MasterB

Final Flight
Is it just me, or when a skater switches nationality, their skating deterioates?

You are quite correct. I have seen many skaters who just seem to fall apart when they compete for other countries. There have been exceptions, such as Charlene Von Saher who competed for England in the early 90's and placed somewhere in the top 10 at worlds. I am sure there are others .

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What kind of financial support do skaters in Israel get? I don't think a nationals competition has been held there since 2008-09.

Not so. A nationals competition just took place. Netta Schreiber, in Junior ladies, Polina Shelepen in Sr. ladies, Krasnopolski & new partner (Sr pairs), Reed & Rogov in dance, Bolshem and Zilberberg in dance, and some other competitors took part. They held a gala too.

I don't have a results page, but we have a thread for it in other nationals.

Shelepen only did the SP.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
she probably has Israeli roots because for Israeli repatriation/citizenship you need to have lineage of Israeli ancestry

You need to have Jewish ancestry, not Israeli. I could go become an Israeli citizen, being Jewish, though none of my family has ever lived in Israel.

hanca

Record Breaker
Not so. A nationals competition just took place. Netta Schreiber, in Junior ladies, Polina Shelepen in Sr. ladies, Krasnopolski & new partner (Sr pairs), Reed & Rogov in dance, Bolshem and Zilberberg in dance, and some other competitors took part. They held a gala too.

How did she skate? Did she have 3-3 in her SP? Did she land all her jumps?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You need to have Jewish ancestry, not Israeli. I could go become an Israeli citizen, being Jewish, though none of my family has ever lived in Israel.

sorry yes Jewish is what i meant
so Israel allows up to how many degrees in Jewish lineage
a quarter jewish or are you eligible for citizenship even 1/8 or from a great great great grandparents ?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
How did she skate? Did she have 3-3 in her SP? Did she land all her jumps?
Considering how she skated this season, the right question should be: "Did she land any of her jumps?" ;) (I'm just joking, I know that she had an injury and that's why she skated she bad)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
sorry yes Jewish is what i meant
so Israel allows up to how many degrees in Jewish lineage
a quarter jewish or are you eligible for citizenship even 1/8 or from a great great great grandparents ?

According to the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

4A. (a) The rights of a Jew under this Law and the rights of an oleh under the Nationality Law, 5712-1952***, as well as the rights of an oleh under any other enactment, are also vested in a child and a grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a Jew, the spouse of a child of a Jew and the spouse of a grandchild of a Jew, except for a person who has been a Jew and has voluntarily changed his religion.

So, you have to have at least Jewish grandparent (or be married to a person with a Jewish grandparent) and not have converted to another religion from Judaism.

Colanboy

Rinkside
Coach can't take away your jumps. The reason why she had problems with her jumps was that she was injured throughout the season, eventually withdrawing from several competitions. The reason definitely wasn't that Sokolovskaya messed jumps up.

I don't know much about this, but numerous posters have pointed out the pattern of skaters switching to Soklovskaya and getting injured soon afterward, so maybe there IS a correlation.

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't know much about this, but numerous posters have pointed out the pattern of skaters switching to Soklovskaya and getting injured soon afterward, so maybe there IS a correlation.

There might be a correlation between having a certain coach and being more injury prone, if a coach doesn't allow the skater to take enough time off to heal. However, there can't possibly be a correlation between changing a coach and forgetting how to jump. The jumps are a skill. The skater learned it and can do it. If you learn how to drive a car, do you believe that someone can take that skill away from you? The skater obviously have to practice the jumps, but this is the skater's responsibility. If the skater doesn't practice the jumps, the jumps may start being inconsistent. But let's not blame the coach for that. The athlete is not having a lesson the whole time they are on ice. They have to also practice sometimes. And by the time the skater get to the elite level, he/she should know how much time they need to spend on practising jumps so that the jumps won't become inconsistent.

Icey

Record Breaker

Someone needs to update the wiki page

ONe article was titled: Polina Shelepen announces defection to Israel.

LauraV

On the Ice
The Israeli Nationals were held the week AFTER Worlds? That seems odd.

I am new around here, so there may be some advantage to this that I am not grasping. What purpose would this scheduling serve?

hanca

Record Breaker
The Israeli Nationals were held the week AFTER Worlds? That seems odd.

I am new around here, so there may be some advantage to this that I am not grasping. What purpose would this scheduling serve?

For most countries their Nationals is the competition where they choose who they send to worlds. In Israel maybe they don't have such a huge choice of who they will send, so it may not really matter when they do the Nationals. And if it is around Worlds (end of the season) everyone should be in their peak condition, in theory. (I don't know the reason, this is just my guess).

hanca

Record Breaker
Oh, no. I hope it doesn't mean that the Russian Federation would try create problems by refusing to release her?

Icey

Record Breaker
Odd concept of a nationals where a skater can skate the short program only.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
But, I don't think that she actually skated there, because Pissev in that article says that they haven't realeased her yet...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That's sort of annoying if they refuse to release her but won't give her any attention or good internationals if she stays in Russia. I know she's a good skater, but come on, they have so many girls to choose from and if Shelepen went out of her way to switch representation so she can finally get the attention a skater of her calliber deserves, the Russian fed should not be greedy and refuse to release her just so they can keep her on the backburner to send to events like Euros, Olympics, Worlds incase the favorites become injured or epicly bomb...