Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Polina Shelepen to compete for Israel

Custom Title
    She was really smart to do that

Maybe we can see her at 2018 Olympics-I'm pretty sure that she's good enough to get one spot for the 2018 Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblespiral View Post
    Is it just me, or when a skater switches nationality, their skating deterioates?
    A lot of the time this is the case but you have some exceptions like duchesnys and anissina. Look at Russian American and then just Russian skater ksenia makarova. But usually you are totally right because changes come when skater is deteriorating anyway!! Dianne de leauw is a plus and a big minus is like I think soldatova?

Custom Title
    Is it just me, or when a skater switches nationality, their skating deterioates?
    Not always. Samuel Contesti was more successful after he switched to Italy.

Custom Title
    Definitely a good move, when it was clear she wasn't a favorite, I suggested she go skate for another country a year ago.

Custom Title
    I know they're not singles skaters, but Volosozhar and Kavaguti got better. But as far I understand, many singles skaters who switch to federations that are less prominent invariably get worse results. Who knows, perhaps with less pressure Shelepen might blossom?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I know they're not singles skaters, but Volosozhar and Kavaguti got better. But as far I understand, many singles skaters who switch to federations that are less prominent invariably get worse results. Who knows, perhaps with less pressure Shelepen might blossom?
    I would love to see that. Indeed, maybe the extreme competition in Russia was too much for her to handle. I just wish she finds herself another coach soon, I hate what Sokolovskaya did to her wonderful jumps :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    I would love to see that. Indeed, maybe the extreme competition in Russia was too much for her to handle. I just wish she finds herself another coach soon, I hate what Sokolovskaya did to her wonderful jumps :(
    Coach can't take away your jumps. The reason why she had problems with her jumps was that she was injured throughout the season, eventually withdrawing from several competitions. The reason definitely wasn't that Sokolovskaya messed jumps up.

Custom Title
    What kind of financial support do skaters in Israel get? I don't think a nationals competition has been held there since 2008-09.

Custom Title
    You are quite correct. I have seen many skaters who just seem to fall apart when they compete for other countries. There have been exceptions, such as Charlene Von Saher who competed for England in the early 90's and placed somewhere in the top 10 at worlds. I am sure there are others .

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    What kind of financial support do skaters in Israel get? I don't think a nationals competition has been held there since 2008-09.
    Not so. A nationals competition just took place. Netta Schreiber, in Junior ladies, Polina Shelepen in Sr. ladies, Krasnopolski & new partner (Sr pairs), Reed & Rogov in dance, Bolshem and Zilberberg in dance, and some other competitors took part. They held a gala too.

I don't have a results page, but we have a thread for it in other nationals.

Shelepen only did the SP.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    she probably has Israeli roots because for Israeli repatriation/citizenship you need to have lineage of Israeli ancestry
    You need to have Jewish ancestry, not Israeli. I could go become an Israeli citizen, being Jewish, though none of my family has ever lived in Israel.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Not so. A nationals competition just took place. Netta Schreiber, in Junior ladies, Polina Shelepen in Sr. ladies, Krasnopolski & new partner (Sr pairs), Reed & Rogov in dance, Bolshem and Zilberberg in dance, and some other competitors took part. They held a gala too.

I don't have a results page, but we have a thread for it in other nationals.

Shelepen only did the SP.
    How did she skate? Did she have 3-3 in her SP? Did she land all her jumps?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    You need to have Jewish ancestry, not Israeli. I could go become an Israeli citizen, being Jewish, though none of my family has ever lived in Israel.
    sorry yes Jewish is what i meant
    so Israel allows up to how many degrees in Jewish lineage
    a quarter jewish or are you eligible for citizenship even 1/8 or from a great great great grandparents ?

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    How did she skate? Did she have 3-3 in her SP? Did she land all her jumps?
    Considering how she skated this season, the right question should be: "Did she land any of her jumps?" (I'm just joking, I know that she had an injury and that's why she skated she bad)

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    sorry yes Jewish is what i meant
    so Israel allows up to how many degrees in Jewish lineage
    a quarter jewish or are you eligible for citizenship even 1/8 or from a great great great grandparents ?

According to the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

4A. (a) The rights of a Jew under this Law and the rights of an oleh under the Nationality Law, 5712-1952***, as well as the rights of an oleh under any other enactment, are also vested in a child and a grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a Jew, the spouse of a child of a Jew and the spouse of a grandchild of a Jew, except for a person who has been a Jew and has voluntarily changed his religion.
    So, you have to have at least Jewish grandparent (or be married to a person with a Jewish grandparent) and not have converted to another religion from Judaism.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast