Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What was NBC thinking??!!

I was also surprised that NBC only showed D/W's Free Dance. THey should've shown V/M's to setup the rivalry for the Olympics.

NBC doesn't care about skating at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    NBC doesn't care about skating at all.
    On a serious note, who has rights to the winter Olympics? Is it NBC? Where can we expect to get good coverage? Or am I asking these questions way too early?

Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    On a serious note, who has rights to the winter Olympics? Is it NBC? Where can we expect to get good coverage? Or am I asking these questions way too early?
    Yes, NBC has the Sochi Olympics, which is why I'm surprised by the lack of skating coverage.

Custom Title
    ^^WOW

Miserere Nobis
    Yep, it's NBC. But if I remember correctly, they didn't do too poor of a broadcasting job in 2010.

On the Ice
    Alot of viewers were not happy with their coverage of the 2012 games. I was annoyed by their coverage of gymnastics.

Custom Title
    NBC sucks when it comes to the Olympics. ABC back in the day did it so much better. Even CBS was much better when they had the Winter Olympics back in the 1990's.

Given NBC's history, you're going to get some tape-delayed nonsense.

Custom Title
    From Sochi? Of course there will be tape delays. The time zones are so different from every region of the United States. There won't be anything live, probably, especially skating, unless the skaters perform in the middle of the night.

That's not all bad. Going into the final at Nagano, before I had Internet at work or at home, I knew (because of the time difference and the ingenuity of my friend Kathleen) that Tara had won. I could deal with my emotions about Michelle's not getting the gold and then watch. Otherwise, I don't think I could have watched any of the skating; I'd have been too nervous.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar

NBC's coverage of Sochi Games

Re: NBC's coverage of Sochi Games

"NBC will employ a similar strategy from the London Games, meaning every event from Sochi will be carried live on some platform (most via live-streaming), with tape-delayed events saved for the primetime coverage. Sochi is nine hours ahead of the East Coast."

But ... once again, not every American will have access to all the live-streaming:
    "Streaming and On Demand Content: Access to portions of NBC Olympics live streaming and on-demand Site content ("Premium Content") is available only to users in the U.S. who are currently subscribed to receive video service from a cable, satellite or IPTV provider that has partnered with NBC Olympics (each a "Distribution Partner"), where such Distribution Partner has agreed to provide Premium Content to its subscribers. To access Premium Content, click on the link to access Live or On-Demand Content on the Site. Depending on your Distribution Partner, NBC Olympics will either send you to your Distribution Partner's website to verify your account information, or you will provide your account information to NBC Olympics, and we will work with your Distribution Partner to verify your account information."

I would venture to guess that as it has in the past, NBC's primetime coverage will showcase both short and free programs/dances for all four disciplines. No, I am not saying that primetime coverage will include the competitions in entirety. But I do expect that NBC will devote plenty of air time to the top contenders (American and otherwise). Olympic coverage of figure skating gets good ratings, and NBC will want as many eyeballs as possible for its advertisers. Surely NBC also will be giving ample attention to compelling story lines -- both well-established arcs (such as defending champions who are going for gold again) and any breaking news (the saddest example being the death of Joannie Rochette's mother).

And a bit of good news:
    "Team figure skating and men’s and women’s slopestyle snowboarding, which are new Olympic events, along with women’s freestyle moguls, begin the day before the Opening Ceremony, and will be featured during NBC’s primetime coverage on Thursday, February 6, 2014."

What I don't like about NBC is that they think we would rather see Bob Costas than sporting events.

Custom Title
    ^^ Who is Bob Costas?

He's the host of the prime time coverage. They show two minutes of sports, then it's back to Bob in the studio.

Custom Title
    I like Bob Costas--he's admirably low-key compared to the bombast of several of the commentators. But he's no Jim McKay. ABC set the standard for Olympic coverage and neither CBS or NBC has matched it yet. The worst thing about NBC is they think everything has to be a sob story--and they seem to devote more time to these "heart-tugging" stories than to the actual competitions. It's like Lifetime Olympics. Grrrrr.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast