What was NBC thinking??!! | Golden Skate

What was NBC thinking??!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why the heck are they playing the skating recap smack in the middle of the NCAA tournament?! Won't lie I'm watching the Louisville/Coloraldo State game -- not skating....

bramweld

Record Breaker
Why do we assume they were thinking in the first place? Or maybe the poor things are oblivious to the concept of online video streaming...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Heard something interesting: Louisville doesn't let up even when they are ahead. They play like its a tie... Would love to see that from some of the top skaters.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They were thinking that people who don't like basketball might conceivably watch skating. If even you were watching bball, Mrs. P, they were clearly wrong.

However, real TV is lots better than streaming, especially when my stream crashes and my TV doesn't ;) Plus it's nice to have the audio & video properly synched. ANd if the TV is in HD, the detail is well, well worth it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well you're right the picture quality is better so I'm trying to go back and forth. But it's way better to watch Louisville's full court press than watch Patrick Chan stumble his way to a world title.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Too true. But don't miss the coverage of D&W's FD-it's really well filmed, and was presented between the men's and ladies.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
He is! And D&W up next.

Frank in the KnC was hilarious with him jaw dropped, literally, and his mouth wide open.

I don't know whether he was astonished that Denis was not 1st, or that he was not 3rd ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Louisville's exact quote "We play as its zero-zero." Totally dig that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah D&W were lovely on tv. :love: luckily Louisville is just giving a clinic right now.. so will probably switch on for the ladies.

heyang

Record Breaker
If not for my TiVo I wouldn't have even known that the broadcast was today. I really haven't seen any alerts on NBC that they would be airing the event... although upon further review, I don't regularly watch anything on NBC right now.

Also, they started airing at Noon, when most people are lunching. Usually, they begin airing skating around 2pm on weekends.

Overall, I'm surprised because the Olympics are next year. You'd think they'd want to get some interest generated. IMHO, they'd have been better off airing during primetime Saturday. With the exception of basketball (which I won't be watching), there's only re-runs on tonight.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Overall, I'm surprised because the Olympics are next year. You'd think they'd want to get some interest generated.

Same. I remember Worlds 2009 was on prior to the Vancouver Olympics--Yuna was on TV. I don't understand why they chose to highlight the GP series this year but not the World Championships.

And they need to promote D/W. Goodness knows that they're only sure chance of a podium placement that the U.S. has got in any event that the ice dance team participates in. USFSA needs to get its promotional **** together.

heyang

Record Breaker
I was also surprised that NBC only showed D/W's Free Dance. THey should've shown V/M's to setup the rivalry for the Olympics.

heyang

Record Breaker
On a serious note, who has rights to the winter Olympics? Is it NBC? Where can we expect to get good coverage? Or am I asking these questions way too early?

Yes, NBC has the Sochi Olympics, which is why I'm surprised by the lack of skating coverage.