What was NBC thinking??!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What was NBC thinking??!!

ForeverFish

Medalist
On a serious note, who has rights to the winter Olympics? Is it NBC? Where can we expect to get good coverage? Or am I asking these questions way too early?

Yep, it's NBC. But if I remember correctly, they didn't do too poor of a broadcasting job in 2010.

delray1977

Rinkside
Alot of viewers were not happy with their coverage of the 2012 games. I was annoyed by their coverage of gymnastics.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC sucks when it comes to the Olympics. ABC back in the day did it so much better. Even CBS was much better when they had the Winter Olympics back in the 1990's.

Nadia01

Final Flight
On a serious note, who has rights to the winter Olympics? Is it NBC? Where can we expect to get good coverage? Or am I asking these questions way too early?

Given NBC's history, you're going to get some tape-delayed nonsense.

From Sochi? Of course there will be tape delays. The time zones are so different from every region of the United States. There won't be anything live, probably, especially skating, unless the skaters perform in the middle of the night.

That's not all bad. Going into the final at Nagano, before I had Internet at work or at home, I knew (because of the time difference and the ingenuity of my friend Kathleen) that Tara had won. I could deal with my emotions about Michelle's not getting the gold and then watch. Otherwise, I don't think I could have watched any of the skating; I'd have been too nervous.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
NBC's coverage of Sochi Games

Re: NBC's coverage of Sochi Games

"NBC will employ a similar strategy from the London Games, meaning every event from Sochi will be carried live on some platform (most via live-streaming), with tape-delayed events saved for the primetime coverage. Sochi is nine hours ahead of the East Coast."

But ... once again, not every American will have access to all the live-streaming:
"Streaming and On Demand Content: Access to portions of NBC Olympics live streaming and on-demand Site content ("Premium Content") is available only to users in the U.S. who are currently subscribed to receive video service from a cable, satellite or IPTV provider that has partnered with NBC Olympics (each a "Distribution Partner"), where such Distribution Partner has agreed to provide Premium Content to its subscribers. To access Premium Content, click on the link to access Live or On-Demand Content on the Site. Depending on your Distribution Partner, NBC Olympics will either send you to your Distribution Partner's website to verify your account information, or you will provide your account information to NBC Olympics, and we will work with your Distribution Partner to verify your account information."

I would venture to guess that as it has in the past, NBC's primetime coverage will showcase both short and free programs/dances for all four disciplines. No, I am not saying that primetime coverage will include the competitions in entirety. But I do expect that NBC will devote plenty of air time to the top contenders (American and otherwise). Olympic coverage of figure skating gets good ratings, and NBC will want as many eyeballs as possible for its advertisers. Surely NBC also will be giving ample attention to compelling story lines -- both well-established arcs (such as defending champions who are going for gold again) and any breaking news (the saddest example being the death of Joannie Rochette's mother).

And a bit of good news:
"Team figure skating and men’s and women’s slopestyle snowboarding, which are new Olympic events, along with women’s freestyle moguls, begin the day before the Opening Ceremony, and will be featured during NBC’s primetime coverage on Thursday, February 6, 2014."

What I don't like about NBC is that they think we would rather see Bob Costas than sporting events.

He's the host of the prime time coverage. They show two minutes of sports, then it's back to Bob in the studio.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I like Bob Costas--he's admirably low-key compared to the bombast of several of the commentators. But he's no Jim McKay. ABC set the standard for Olympic coverage and neither CBS or NBC has matched it yet. The worst thing about NBC is they think everything has to be a sob story--and they seem to devote more time to these "heart-tugging" stories than to the actual competitions. It's like Lifetime Olympics. Grrrrr.

heyang

Record Breaker
From Sochi? Of course there will be tape delays. The time zones are so different from every region of the United States. There won't be anything live, probably, especially skating, unless the skaters perform in the middle of the night.

That's not all bad. Going into the final at Nagano, before I had Internet at work or at home, I knew (because of the time difference and the ingenuity of my friend Kathleen) that Tara had won. I could deal with my emotions about Michelle's not getting the gold and then watch. Otherwise, I don't think I could have watched any of the skating; I'd have been too nervous.

I agree - there's gonna be tape delays. Time difference between Sochi and East Coast US is 8 hrs. So, as of 8pm tonight in NJ, it's 4am in Sochi. The only way to broadcast TV live for East coast us for primetime is for final group to start skating after 9pm eastern = 5am Sochi. However, that would probably prevent some people from buying tickets for the event seating If they wait for 9am Sochi, it'll be 1 am East Coast. Afternoon Sochi = work and school hours in the US. It's got to be tape delayed to sell seats and get the viewers in US primetime TV, which is what NBC paid for.

Bad memories of Nagano. I told people I didn't want to know. One of my co-workers was an *** and told me the one with the triple-triple won. I wanted to smack him because Of course I would know who won with that clue, which I didn't want in the 1st place. He thought it was funny.

My friend Kathleen, now watching from heaven, was like a human Internet. She came to me with a set of stapled sheets of paper. Each one I turned over said, "Are you sure sure sure you want to know?" This eased me into it. She and I both rooted for Michelle, so we consoled each other later. Kath is the one who originally remarked that you couldn't fit a piece of paper under one of Tara's jumps. We both rose above it eventually. Sometimes I try to envision what she would have to say about some of the controversial wins of today....I can hear her voice as clear as day in my mind, but I couldn't possibly imagine the original turns of phrase she would come up with.

And I can barely imagine what she'd say about two hours to cover the entire world championship on NBC. I'm sure she'd figure out (pun not intended) how to call their sports department and lodge a complaint.

meem

On the Ice
@Olympia, I love what your friend said about not being able to fit a piece of paper under one of Tara's jumps. I used to say Tara's skates clunked back down onto the ice as though she were (still) wearing heavy roller skates. That was a very upsetting Olympics for me. My husband told me over the phone at work that TL won the gold so I did not watch the Ladies LP (I figured Michelle must have turned into a human Zamboni to have placed 2nd). I don't know if I'm assertive enough, a la Kathleen, to call NBC re: the disgraceful lack of coverage of 2013 Worlds, although I've sent them notes and emails over the past few years complaining about Scott's screech-a-thon commentating. Something's not right with this network judging from the dumb things they've done and plan to do in the not so distant future. From what I've read recently it looks like Lorne Michaels is now calling the shots when it comes to on-air talent. Who knows...we might have folks from SNL reporting from Sochi next winter. Won't that be special!

Nadia01

Final Flight
@Olympia, I love what your friend said about not being able to fit a piece of paper under one of Tara's jumps. I used to say Tara's skates clunked back down onto the ice as though she were (still) wearing heavy roller skates. That was a very upsetting Olympics for me. My husband told me over the phone at work that TL won the gold so I did not watch the Ladies LP (I figured Michelle must have turned into a human Zamboni to have placed 2nd). I don't know if I'm assertive enough, a la Kathleen, to call NBC re: the disgraceful lack of coverage of 2013 Worlds, although I've sent them notes and emails over the past few years complaining about Scott's screech-a-thon commentating. Something's not right with this network judging from the dumb things they've done and plan to do in the not so distant future. From what I've read recently it looks like Lorne Michaels is now calling the shots when it comes to on-air talent. Who knows...we might have folks from SNL reporting from Sochi next winter. Won't that be special!

I watched the ladies LP. I thought it was crappy that Tara won b/c I thought Michelle was far better.

Anyways -- the problem w/ NBC is that whenever they need to make any decision, they ask, "How can we squeeze the most $ out of this?" rather than "How can we best serve our viewers?" They don't realize that if they always do everything that best serve viewers, they'll make more $ as more and more viewers will watch NBC programs!!!!!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I can see the group of adult skaters on FB all on LTV7 or JustinTV for Olympic coverage. :)

fairly4

Medalist
Probably to help spread sport. To get back fan,base that left. Not to mention rating was good for basketball & see on forum didnt like it. Figure skating compared to basketball reminded people what is wrong with it. No beauty and wrong wins. Seems only candians are allowed to petition to changevwinner

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Bob Costas--he's admirably low-key compared to the bombast of several of the commentators. But he's no Jim McKay. ABC set the standard for Olympic coverage and neither CBS or NBC has matched it yet. The worst thing about NBC is they think everything has to be a sob story--and they seem to devote more time to these "heart-tugging" stories than to the actual competitions. It's like Lifetime Olympics. Grrrrr.

I'm old enough to have watched Jim McKay host the Olympics since around 1968. Nobody did it better or with more class. And of course how he handled the news at the 1972 Summer Olympics with the hostage situation made him a legend as a broadcaster of news not just sports.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
NBC is the worst...they tape delayed on the West Coast for the Vancouver games...which, as I'm sure you all know, is on the West coast and in the same time zone...and what happened to pairs at Worlds...they didn't even mention it...the Universal Sports coverage was good but it isn't in HD...Dennis looked ever more amazing in HD...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC tape delayed all the major events here on the west coast for one reason. Money. They figured they would get more viewers in prime time then say at 5-6 pm here. I disagree especially for figure skating. The ratings would have still gone through the roof.