Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What was NBC thinking??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    From Sochi? Of course there will be tape delays. The time zones are so different from every region of the United States. There won't be anything live, probably, especially skating, unless the skaters perform in the middle of the night.

That's not all bad. Going into the final at Nagano, before I had Internet at work or at home, I knew (because of the time difference and the ingenuity of my friend Kathleen) that Tara had won. I could deal with my emotions about Michelle's not getting the gold and then watch. Otherwise, I don't think I could have watched any of the skating; I'd have been too nervous.
    I agree - there's gonna be tape delays. Time difference between Sochi and East Coast US is 8 hrs. So, as of 8pm tonight in NJ, it's 4am in Sochi. The only way to broadcast TV live for East coast us for primetime is for final group to start skating after 9pm eastern = 5am Sochi. However, that would probably prevent some people from buying tickets for the event seating If they wait for 9am Sochi, it'll be 1 am East Coast. Afternoon Sochi = work and school hours in the US. It's got to be tape delayed to sell seats and get the viewers in US primetime TV, which is what NBC paid for.

Bad memories of Nagano. I told people I didn't want to know. One of my co-workers was an *** and told me the one with the triple-triple won. I wanted to smack him because Of course I would know who won with that clue, which I didn't want in the 1st place. He thought it was funny.

Custom Title
    My friend Kathleen, now watching from heaven, was like a human Internet. She came to me with a set of stapled sheets of paper. Each one I turned over said, "Are you sure sure sure you want to know?" This eased me into it. She and I both rooted for Michelle, so we consoled each other later. Kath is the one who originally remarked that you couldn't fit a piece of paper under one of Tara's jumps. We both rose above it eventually. Sometimes I try to envision what she would have to say about some of the controversial wins of today....I can hear her voice as clear as day in my mind, but I couldn't possibly imagine the original turns of phrase she would come up with.

And I can barely imagine what she'd say about two hours to cover the entire world championship on NBC. I'm sure she'd figure out (pun not intended) how to call their sports department and lodge a complaint.

^ Everyone should have such kind friends as you to remember them, O.

Custom Title
    @Olympia, I love what your friend said about not being able to fit a piece of paper under one of Tara's jumps. I used to say Tara's skates clunked back down onto the ice as though she were (still) wearing heavy roller skates. That was a very upsetting Olympics for me. My husband told me over the phone at work that TL won the gold so I did not watch the Ladies LP (I figured Michelle must have turned into a human Zamboni to have placed 2nd). I don't know if I'm assertive enough, a la Kathleen, to call NBC re: the disgraceful lack of coverage of 2013 Worlds, although I've sent them notes and emails over the past few years complaining about Scott's screech-a-thon commentating. Something's not right with this network judging from the dumb things they've done and plan to do in the not so distant future. From what I've read recently it looks like Lorne Michaels is now calling the shots when it comes to on-air talent. Who knows...we might have folks from SNL reporting from Sochi next winter. Won't that be special!

Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    @Olympia, I love what your friend said about not being able to fit a piece of paper under one of Tara's jumps. I used to say Tara's skates clunked back down onto the ice as though she were (still) wearing heavy roller skates. That was a very upsetting Olympics for me. My husband told me over the phone at work that TL won the gold so I did not watch the Ladies LP (I figured Michelle must have turned into a human Zamboni to have placed 2nd). I don't know if I'm assertive enough, a la Kathleen, to call NBC re: the disgraceful lack of coverage of 2013 Worlds, although I've sent them notes and emails over the past few years complaining about Scott's screech-a-thon commentating. Something's not right with this network judging from the dumb things they've done and plan to do in the not so distant future. From what I've read recently it looks like Lorne Michaels is now calling the shots when it comes to on-air talent. Who knows...we might have folks from SNL reporting from Sochi next winter. Won't that be special!
    I watched the ladies LP. I thought it was crappy that Tara won b/c I thought Michelle was far better.

Anyways -- the problem w/ NBC is that whenever they need to make any decision, they ask, "How can we squeeze the most $ out of this?" rather than "How can we best serve our viewers?" They don't realize that if they always do everything that best serve viewers, they'll make more $ as more and more viewers will watch NBC programs!!!!!

I can see the group of adult skaters on FB all on LTV7 or JustinTV for Olympic coverage.

Custom Title
    Probably to help spread sport. To get back fan,base that left. Not to mention rating was good for basketball & see on forum didnt like it. Figure skating compared to basketball reminded people what is wrong with it. No beauty and wrong wins. Seems only candians are allowed to petition to changevwinner

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I like Bob Costas--he's admirably low-key compared to the bombast of several of the commentators. But he's no Jim McKay. ABC set the standard for Olympic coverage and neither CBS or NBC has matched it yet. The worst thing about NBC is they think everything has to be a sob story--and they seem to devote more time to these "heart-tugging" stories than to the actual competitions. It's like Lifetime Olympics. Grrrrr.
    I'm old enough to have watched Jim McKay host the Olympics since around 1968. Nobody did it better or with more class. And of course how he handled the news at the 1972 Summer Olympics with the hostage situation made him a legend as a broadcaster of news not just sports.

Tripping on the Podium
    NBC is the worst...they tape delayed on the West Coast for the Vancouver games...which, as I'm sure you all know, is on the West coast and in the same time zone...and what happened to pairs at Worlds...they didn't even mention it...the Universal Sports coverage was good but it isn't in HD...Dennis looked ever more amazing in HD...

Custom Title
    NBC tape delayed all the major events here on the west coast for one reason. Money. They figured they would get more viewers in prime time then say at 5-6 pm here. I disagree especially for figure skating. The ratings would have still gone through the roof.

I thought I had responded to this thread, but apparently, I hadn't. To answer the original question, maybe NBC wasn't thinking at all! I've made no secret of how I feel about NBC's fs coverage over all. I have tweeted to NBC Sports about how unacceptable and paltry their coverage is, that they should be showing more fs to build up & maintain a fan base (and not just in the year leading up to the Olympics), etc. I find it disgraceful that they only showed Meryl & Charlie for ice dance (although they were superb - I still wanted to see the other dance teams who were shown on Universal Sports), and no pairs coverage at all during Worlds. The only bright spot for me, in addition to watching the programs they did show, was hearing Terry Gannon during the broadcast. I miss the glory days of ABC/ESPN coverage!

Re: Bob Costas - I like him, but "Mr. Olympics" for me will always be the venerable Jim McKay.

Down With It
    Not old enough to remember Olympics from yesteryear (read: 80s and earlier) so I'm used to NBC doing the Olympics - that's what I grew up with. My big beef with them now is that they refuse to adapt their broadcasting style to a vastly changing media world. We've got social media, we've got news on our phones, we're bombarded with more information than ever before. The days when you can tape delay live sporting events should be long over. People want things now, and if they can't get it now they will find a way to do so.

Yes, they had success in their tape-delayed coverage in '12...but then again...the nation is getting older too.

Custom Title
    What they did show got poor ratings

Another Drop For U.S. Figure Skating Championships: NBC earned a 2.5 overnight rating for primetime coverage of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships Saturday night, down 7% from last year (2.7), down a tick from 2011 (2.6), and the lowest for primetime coverage of the event since NBC took over the rights in 2008. Earlier in the day, coverage drew a 1.6 overnight — up a tick from last year (1.5) and even with 2011. Sunday afternoon coverage earned a 1.5, down 25% from last year (2.0), and down 17% from 2011 (1.8).

After watching all of it via internet streaming on a large computer screen, I really had no desire to watch what NBC showed.

Down With It
    They will go up next year for sure, it's the Olympic trials.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    They will go up next year for sure, it's the Olympic trials.
    Agreed. With Nationals in Boston as well, the opportunity for more major media coverage in advance of the event, plus the timing (not going up against a major sports event) should help with viewership.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast