Big Fish | Golden Skate

Big Fish

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I recently went and saw the film "Big Fish". I must say that I found it to be a wonderful film that was both visually and emotionally appealing. There can be little doubt that it is a Tim Burton film, but of all the interesting things he has done in his career I feel this is his best. And the cast is wonderful! Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Jessica Lange, Billy Crudup, Alison Lohman, Helena Bonham Carter and Steve Buscemi...WOW! A dream team! Albert Finney (as usual) is just incredible as the larger-than-life father. I would definitely bank on a supporting actor Oscar nod!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
good to hear it's really good... I want to see it really bad

any movie with EWAN MCGREGGOR in it is BOUND to be great! :D

Antilles

Medalist
I just got back from it. Somehow I forgot how weird Tim Burton is. The cast was definitely great, and it had an interesting storyline.

Lcp88

On the Ice
TIM BURTON IS A MOVIE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, much better. I went into this movie thinking it would would be an Nightmare Before Christmas/Edward Sissorhands sort of thing, and was a little bit surprised to see that it was more whimsical fanatasy than dark fantasy, which is what Tim Burtons known for. Overall I enjoyed it, although I thought one or two scences dragged a bit. But who cares, ITS TIM BURTON!!!!!!! (I'm actually the founder and Priseident of the "Tim Burton Kicks A** Club", which currently has only three members but will hopefully grow:D :love:)
Laura

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL, Lcp88! Oddly enough, I was never a huge fan of "Edward Scissorhands" or "Beatle Juice". I do, however, feel that Burton did a wonderful job with "Sleepy Hollow". So, I was a little unsure going into this movie but came out very satisfied. It was a bit fantastic (which I enjoyed) and deeply moving in the end. If Tim Burton makes more movies like this I will join your club!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden:

I heard the critics were a little harsh. The movie was trying to be a little too cleaver visually and the story kind of got "lost." I guess, I will have to see and decide for myself. Thanks for the review!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I LOVED IT! Even with the 'Bama accent mixed with the Scot accent :laugh: Will Ewan EVER get to use just his normal "voice" ? LOL Normally he plays a brit, or has to have an accent similar to the character he's portraying(ie Plays the young Edward Bloom, and Obi Wan Kenobi, both played by other actors LOL) he's definately one of the best out there, wish he'd get more recognition from his peers(I smell an Oscar ;))

anyway... I went and saw it last night and had a blast... the courtship part was so awesome... as was the touching ending... way to pull through William Bloom! :D

Ooh, ooh! LCP!!! Can I be the fourth member of the "Tim Burton Kicks A**" club? Not all his movies work for me from start to finish, but I always love something about them. Besides, anybody who can get Johnny Depp to play Ed Wood and Martin Landau to play Bela Lugosi, well, he just KICKS A**! BTW, "Ed Wood" is still my favorite Depp role.
Rgirl

Lcp88

On the Ice
Besides, anybody who can get Johnny Depp to play Ed Wood and Martin Landau to play Bela Lugosi, well, he just KICKS A**! BTW, "Ed Wood" is still my favorite Depp role.

RIGHT ON RGIRL!!! LOL, Tim Burton is, IMO, the only person in the entire industry that is able to bring out Johnny Depp's acting talent.

Laura

icenut84

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
I LOVED IT! Even with the 'Bama accent mixed with the Scot accent :laugh: Will Ewan EVER get to use just his normal "voice" ? LOL Normally he plays a brit, or has to have an accent similar to the character he's portraying

Um... he IS a Brit! :) He's Scottish, which is part of Britain. Although I haven't seen it, he made his name in "Trainspotting", in which I'm pretty sure he used his own Scottish accent. I think by using different accents in his films, he's showing his versatility. :) (A thought - maybe he changes his accent for most of his films because they have to be made accessible to people who might not be used to Scottish accents, or able to understand them? Possibly.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
icenut84 said:
Um... he IS a Brit! :) He's Scottish, which is part of Britain. Although I haven't seen it, he made his name in "Trainspotting", in which I'm pretty sure he used his own Scottish accent. I think by using different accents in his films, he's showing his versatility. :) (A thought - maybe he changes his accent for most of his films because they have to be made accessible to people who might not be used to Scottish accents, or able to understand them? Possibly.)

Yeah I realize the Scot/Brit thing... but his Scot accent is so cool... and I totally understand it LOL

and in an interview when he first started playing the role of Obi Wan he said that he was used to taking on different accents because most movie directors/scripts called for British accents not Scottish ones LOL He also said that Obi-Wan was the most difficult accent because he had to try and match Alec Guienesses accent... I found it all quite fasinating... but then again he could explain how he butters his bread and I'd be fasinated ;) :laugh:

Lanie

On the Ice
I'm gonna go see it. Billy's my cousin, though we never talk. Ever. (He's my dad's stepsister's son.) Besides, if it has Ewan in it... :love:

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I love Ewan McGregor, I'm renting Down with Love this weekend. I just saw Trainspotting last week. He is from Scotland, I saw him on Regis & Kelly and that's what he said. He's gorgeous and so is his accent. Can't wait to see Big Fish!