Interview with Pasquale Camerlengo before 2013 Worlds
Google translated full interveiw:
Pasquale Camerlengo: "dissuade skaters from popular songs. I do not like criticism, "Well, the same thing!"
Pasquale Camerlengo, one of the best choreographers of the world, a man twice world champion Angelika Krylova - how to find the music and put a brilliant program in figure skating.
Pasquale Camerlengo - one of those choreographers, whose name has become a brand in the world of figure skating and coaching duo with his wife, Olympic medalist Angelika Krylova and very successfully competed with Marina Zueva and Igor Shpilband and with Natalia Linichuk and Gennady Karponosov. In an exclusive interview with Pasquale Camerlengo Sports.ru talks about competition between Russian and French dance duo and tells you what to do, if you want to skate again trite music.
- First of all I would like to ask about your two dance duets - French Nathalie Pechalat / Fabian Bourzat and Canadians Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew after. This season does not come easy - both couples were seriously injured.
- We are very pleased that yet coped with the difficulties and stand at this World Cup. In particular, I felt bad for Caitlin, she had a broken ankle, but it is very serious. But Caitlin - a real fighter. No one thought that it would be able to recover in a short period of time and come out here, she had not skated for several months.
- Anjelika Krylova even said that it was quite a crazy decision.
- And I agree with her. In the end, we did not know whether any Caitlin train through the pain. We try not to force things, afraid aggravate an injury, but she coped with everything. Now we do the same thing with Fabyanom. Of course, it still hurts to do some elements have to be very careful in training, and Nathalie and Fabian used to always try and one hundred percent, so now they are struggling. Have to watch every move, because only one wrong move can ruin a lot.
- In one of the training Fabyan even fell from tvizzla. Frankly, I do not remember the last time I saw it ...
- Yes, it is the effects of trauma, but do not forget that it was the first practice, our main goal was just to try out the ice and the main rink.
- Speaking of the main rink ... How difficult is it to adapt the program to the size of the Canadian rink?
- It's really easy, but we are used to. Slightly complicates matters, the training rink meets Olympic standards, so you have to perform double duty. But we did know in advance the size rink, so take into account this factor.
- I can not ask about the Russian dance pairs. You watched them in training.
- Yes, I watched a bit of them, said to himself some moments. In fact, each of the couples participating in this World Cup, a hundred percent ready, and in theory everyone can compete for a medal, but the competition never to think. Let's see what happens.
- Can we say that Ilyin - Katsalapov or Bobrov - Soloviev catching French Pechalat - Bourzat?
- It's hard to say because we have not been able to compare them in Zagreb. After the Grand Prix, we still had some margin on points, but direct confrontation in Europe has not happened. Personally, I think that a small margin, we still remained.
- Did you watch in London for many athletes who put the program. What feelings arise when you see the development of the program during the season?
- On whose example will analyze?
- I like the program you set Michal Březina.
- In the course of the season we had virtually no overlap, but I already knew that he could add to the program, he could finish it. Still in training when we choreograph, athletes focus on the proper execution of movements, and at the event, I finally see the picture which I had in mind when setting. Sometimes there is a very interesting feeling when you see the final result and think to myself, "Wow, because I put a great program!"
- And do you have a favorite program or maybe the one you are most proud of?
- I like any Akiko Suzuki, of course, short of Max Aaron, because in his short, I tried to find something new, modern style and hip-hop. Perhaps it is the program I am most proud of, because I created it from beginning to end - it was my idea, I found the music and set choreography.
- Discover the secret of how it is going to create a program?
- In fact, it depends on the level of athlete, from the level of his coach. For example, in the case of Max Aaron, his coach asked me to find something suitable. I watched a video rentals Max and thought about the direction of hip-hop. I usually prefer to listen to music together with the athlete: we otslushivaem different tunes, and if something "clicks" during the two or three tracks, we take the music and try to go to the ice movement. If everything works, we will continue to work more thoroughly. Of course, some athletes have come with ready ideas, and I'm just trying to justify the most of their expectations.
- And what is preferred method of working?
- Of course, I prefer to choose the music, coming up with the story and create a program together. While we all - rivals, so it sometimes happens that the coach does not agree with our choice or does not understand it. Then I lay out the sort through all of the arguments for and against, and we come to a compromise.
- And what do you say about the music, which has often been used in figure skating? Not dare to call "Carmen", for example, hackneyed music, but because the melody is so often heard in the competition.
- I'm always trying to dissuade athletes from popular tracks, because I do not want to hear criticism like, "Well, again the same thing!". But you see, there is so much beautiful music that you just can not give up when you are asked to cast their program. Then we create a brand new choreography, something that no one has to skate to this music.
- When you just hear a beautiful melody, you probably immediately begin to "roll" under the program in her mind?
- Yes. This is, so to say, automatic mode in my head. I always see the skater performing a program or that music, I always see a certain image and know what is happening on the ice at any given moment.
- Are there any skaters with whom you would be interested to work with?
- I will name two: Carolina Kostner and Patrick Chan. I would love to work with them, and it has nothing to do with the fact that now they are the reigning world champion. I always wanted to work with Caroline. Do not even know why we have not cooperated. In the end, it is Italian, I'm Italian too: it would be very logical to work together.
And Patrick came to us in Detroit before the World Cup, I had the opportunity to more closely observe him. He rides with a special, I would say, dance plastics, for it is possible to put any choreography and be confident that it will fulfill all our plans.
- Speaking of Patrick ... Probably in London, we will see how he will win the third title?
- In London, a very high level of competition, and I can say only one thing is certain - in this tournament we will see more quadruple jump than ever. Some of the athletes at all going to be five in the amount of four-two programs. In any case, if Patrick skated the way he can do that, he must win the gold. Soon find out.