Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What do Ashley or Gracie need to do to Medal in Sochi

Another US ladies thread...
    Anyway, I'm going to answer
    -Ashley needs a 3-3 in the SP (any kind) and a FS like the SA/TEB ones: clean and solid.
    -Gracie needs CONSISTENCY! she does have all the jumps and pretty good artistry, too (she can reach 60 PCS, that's enough), but she has to land them and skate good programs in competition and not only in training!
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    Do a 2a-3lo instead of 2a-3t
    That's an incredibly difficult combo, Ashley wouldn't be able to land it (she isn't even able to rotate the 3T as the second jump!)... The only time I remember someone attempting it was RF at 2011 4CC, but it was UR... Do you know any girl landing a clean 2A+3Lo??

Gracie is working on that. She has gotten consistently better throughout the season in managing nerves/focusing on what she needs to do and not worry about anything else. She went from complete mess at SCI to falling on the 3+3 in the SP at Nationals due to focus issues to < at Worlds with a slightly crappy landing on the 3Lz (and she had been doing 3F+3T all season in the SP up until Worlds) but still fighting for it and staying upright. I, for one, thought that a small rink did her NO favors.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Gracie is working on that. She has gotten consistently better throughout the season in managing nerves/focusing on what she needs to do and not worry about anything else. She went from complete mess at SCI to falling on the 3+3 in the SP at Nationals due to focus issues to < at Worlds with a slightly crappy landing on the 3Lz (and she had been doing 3F+3T all season in the SP up until Worlds) but still fighting for it and staying upright. I, for one, thought that a small rink did her NO favors.
    In that case, here's hoping she's assigned to NHK as most rinks in Japan bask in Olympic size glory.

I don't think that's going to happen, unfortunately. I think Murakami will be the 4-6 seed. Heard mention she asked for CoC as she'd like to go to China.

Custom Title
    Lots of skaters had problems with the small rink in London. Max Aaron jumped right into the boards, too (he trains at an Olympic-sized rink). Gracie had more problems than most of the ladies because she is so fast and her jumps are so huge.

Custom Title
    Not sure Gracie is that fast. But anyways...I did think London World's seem to be more budget conscious but maybe it is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Not sure Gracie is that fast. But anyways...I did think London World's seem to be more budget conscious but maybe it is just me.
    From what I can tell, she is fast.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Definitly true.
    Gracie has really good speed and power and her SS are fine, she needs better choreography and refinement though (which will come with time, but I'm not too sure she'll manage that until next year already).

And I don't get why people think Ashley is so fast? It's not as if she was creeping over the ice, but she's not having really good speed either. That said, the most important thing will be the 3-3 + 2A-3T, but I'm not too sure she'll get them. She didn't even attempt the 3-3 the whole season. Playing it safe this season might not have been the best idea. Additionally, while her movements are controlled and elegent, she looks pretty wooden and stiff to me. Working on that might improve her PCS.

Anyway, I really hope the podium in Sochi will consist of Yuna, Mao and Carolina. Bacause if it doesn't, it means at least one of those three messed up pretty badly, and I don't want that to happen. I want everyone to deliver good performances and see an amazing event
    I totally agree with this although wouldn't mind if Akiko crashed the party. I am wishing for one a little more than the others to win it all.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Lots of skaters had problems with the small rink in London. Max Aaron jumped right into the boards, too (he trains at an Olympic-sized rink). Gracie had more problems than most of the ladies because she is so fast and her jumps are so huge.
    This is especially evident in the video of Gracie's free skate. Her turn out of the 3-3, while probably caused by nerves, actually saved her from skating right into the boards. And she might have landed that 2A had she not skidded into the side of the rink first.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    (she can reach 60 PCS, that's enough)
    It depends. If Kostner and Asada skate exactly as they did at Worlds this year (including the SP misses) then it "might" be enough to win a bronze if she skated 2 totally clean programs. If Kostner and Asada skate somewhat cleaner than they did at Worlds this year (and I believe they are capable to, and it is far more likely than Gold skating 2 totally clean programs) it would require higher PCS than that to hope for a medal. I wont even discuss Kim who would have to have an outing like the 2011 Worlds or worse to come close to losing to a current U.S girl, no matter how well any of them skate.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    It depends. If Kostner and Asada skate exactly as they did at Worlds this year (including the SP misses) then it "might" be enough to win a bronze if she skated 2 totally clean programs. If Kostner and Asada skate somewhat cleaner than they did at Worlds this year (and I believe they are capable to, and it is far more likely than Gold skating 2 totally clean programs) it would require higher PCS than that to hope for a medal. I wont even discuss Kim who would have to have an outing like the 2011 Worlds or worse to come close to losing to a current U.S girl, no matter how well any of them skate.
    Unfortunately for them Kim's motivation to compete is back, unlike 2011 Worlds when she didn't want to be there at all (and it showed). I don't see her repeating such costly mistakes next year to leave the door wide open for Ashley or Gracie. Moreover, she's doing the GP series next season so whatever happens, it won't be for lack of preparation or motivation.

Kim's strongest performances came at the most critical competitions (Worlds-before-Olympics and Olympics). She seems to thrive under immense pressure. I expect Sochi to be no different.

Custom Title
    Well, a fanciful way to look at how to get Wagner and Gold to win two medals are - mao and carolina have problems. Wagner and gold skate clean. have Liza skate well and add her triple axel during the GP. Have both Liza and mao landing the axel (3) scaring Yuna who as a result starts pushing herself and she falls apart. then come Oly Liza falls apart, and the other shave their problems and fall to the pressure allowing Wagner and Gold and heck why not an American sweep lol too while we are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Well, a fanciful way to look at how to get Wagner and Gold to win two medals are - mao and carolina have problems. Wagner and gold skate clean. have Liza skate well and add her triple axel during the GP. Have both Liza and mao landing the axel (3) scaring Yuna who as a result starts pushing herself and she falls apart. then come Oly Liza falls apart, and the other shave their problems and fall to the pressure allowing Wagner and Gold and heck why not an American sweep lol too while we are at it.
    OK. So then Kwan makes a comeback at Nationals and wins gold in Sochi, with Wagner and Gold taking silver and bronze...fanciful indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I'm not sure what this has anything to do with what Gracie needs to do to win an Olympic medal? As I recall, neither CaroK nor Yuna Kim (as we can all agree, they're both well-known for their speed and big jumps) crashed into the boards. It's part of being able to control your speed and power to ensure that such things do not happen. And it's not like the size of the rink in London was a top secret. Gracie and Max could've adjusted their training to get used to the smaller rink.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Kim's strongest performances came at the most critical competitions (Worlds-before-Olympics and Olympics). She seems to thrive under immense pressure. I expect Sochi to be no different.
    In her most recent fan even interview, Yuna said she is less nervous at big comps than at smaller comps when she's well-prepared, which I assume to mean no injury and training going as planned or better. So that's a big advantage she has since she won't let nerves screw her up at the most pressure-filled competitions like WC or Olympics.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast