Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: WTT predictions

Quote Originally Posted by cassiem View Post
    How do you know those teams are better? M/K are World Junior Champs too. They had a major setback due to mononucleosis and it took them a while to get back on track but they're starting to make progress now. They beat Sinitsina/Zhiganshin at Russian nationals. As for S/B, they've never competed on the senior level. Could they prepare senior programs in such a short space of time?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    This past season, the SDs for Juniors and Seniors were different---Blues (JR) and Yankee Polka (SR). There is no way Stepanova/Bukin could get up to speed on the Yankee Polka in a less than two weeks.
    Thank God someone stated the obvious. M/K also beat S/Z again 2 months ago.

This past season, the SDs for Juniors and Seniors were different---Blues (JR) and Yankee Polka (SR). There is no way Stepanova/Bukin could get up to speed on the Yankee Polka in a less than two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiem View Post
    How do you know those teams are better? M/K are World Junior Champs too. They had a major setback due to mononucleosis and it took them a while to get back on track but they're starting to make progress now. They beat Sinitsina/Zhiganshin at Russian nationals. As for S/B, they've never competed on the senior level. Could they prepare senior programs in such a short space of time?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    R&T stayed with Shpilband after Worlds. They may well have been offered WTT and refused, preferring to keep working with Igor on some much needed improvements to their technical skills in preparation for the Olympic year competition for the third spot in Russia (and a very intense & crowded competition it will be, with Z&S, S&B, M&K and R&T all vying for the one spot.)

Even if they were not offered the WTT spot, the extra weeks with Igor's group may be a blessing in disguise.

Of course, it's also possible that Igor will not be there for some of it as Chock & Bates are competing for the US at WTT. The way teams are dropping out like flies, they are likely to medal too. Heck if W&P pull out, they could win it by default.

Here's the current line up.

Canada W&P
    US Chock & Bates
    Russia Monko & Khaliavin
    France Carron & Jones
    Japan Reeds
    China Yu & Wang

My biggest hope for this competition is that the Reeds & Yu & Wang manage to get their SB's scores up a bit higher.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-05-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Natalie and Fabian are out (no reason given) and Carron/Jones are in.
    ;;;;;My hubby is so disappointed by this news. He is a big Nathalie fan and has decided to go to WTT again with me, cause he thought it was going to be the very last opportunity for him to see her skate live and root for her, assuming it very likely Pechalat/Bourzat would retire from competitive skating upon Sochi and we won't see them compete at Tokyo Worlds...

Custom Title
    Sorry to hear about P/B. :(

But, with little competition, this is a really great opportunity for W/P to really solidify themselves as a strong team after injury and GP flubs last season. Also a great chance for C/B.

deedee1, Has your husband seen Madison Chock before-now there is a girl who emotes over the top and fills the arena; and W&P are lovely, so it won't be an entirely lost part of the event.

Custom Title
    1st - Canada
    2nd - Russia
    3rd - Japan (but no pairs could let them down)
    4th - USA
    5th - China
    6th - France

Custom Title
    Russia would have been in a better position had Bobrova/Soloviev been there in dance. Their #4 team Monko/Khaliavin won't place ahead of Weaver/Poje and Chock/Bates, and their singles probably won't medal. They have the top pair, but that's all.

Japan would be last in pairs and next to last in dance, and having Mura instead of Hanyu won't help.

With no Kostner, Wagner could medal and Gold could place top 4. Aaron should do pretty well, too, and Chock/Bates will probably place top two. Their only weak link is Pairs.

Rinkside
    I tried to calculate the points for each discipline. Not difficult for pairs and dance, but really hard to rank singles.
    My prediction:
    1. Canada (by slight margin)
    2. USA (have chance to fight for gold)
    3. Japan (strong in singles, and home advantage)
    4. Russia (top in pairs, girls are strong but the field is deep)
    5. China (generally not competitive, Li and Yan's performances will be the key)
    6. France (absences of P/B and Amodio cost a lot)

Miserere Nobis
    Russia would have been in a better position had Bobrova/Soloviev been there in dance. Their #4 team Monko/Khaliavin won't place ahead of Weaver/Poje and Chock/Bates, and their singles probably won't medal. They have the top pair, but that's all.

Japan would be last in pairs and next to last in dance, and having Mura instead of Hanyu won't help.

With no Kostner, Wagner could medal and Gold could place top 4. Aaron should do pretty well, too, and Chock/Bates will probably place top two. Their only weak link is Pairs.
    A clean Gold can definitely outplace Tukt, Sotnikova, Osmond, Li, and maybe even Wagner sans 3-3. There could be a medal in Gracie's near future.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I think the key for the Americans is the pairs event. They would be dead last, except for Japan, if placements from WC hold. I think to have a shot, they've got to improve.

Banned
    Who will win Team Spirit Award I wonder. Last year it was France and only Italy could come closer. Japanese were rather traditional, USA/Russians were sometimes boring and lazy in K&C, Canada got disqualifed.

This year Italy is out and I am positive China won't make K&C as much fun as Italians could. Russians have Trankov now who could be both drama queen and a good clown, so who knows. Canada doesn't have Moir, so it could be a good factor that they at least will stay in TSA competiton. USA will probably be the same as last year. Japan has both major stars on team, Mao and Dai, so it might add some spice to their K&C. Still I think even without Amodio and Natalie, who was the captain and the leader in K&C French stuff, France will win. But I don't know if they can make it as fun as they did last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4cqCyWZyBY :

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    deedee1, Has your husband seen Madison Chock before-now there is a girl who emotes over the top and fills the arena; and W&P are lovely, so it won't be an entirely lost part of the event.
    Thanks for your words of cheer, doris! You are right. Chock/Bates at US Nats, where my husband and I got to see thru TV live, was a pleasant surprise for us this season. Remembering how they had skated with her/his former partner previously/respectively, I didn't expect they could show us such a good unison as a team, you know, quite remarkable for a younger team like them (second year together, iirc). They did improve so much and grow a lot as a team, especially Madison, didn't she? To be honest, I was really impressed by all skaters under Shpilband at the recent Worlds, and Lloyd Jones was one of them! Before this season, I had been always thinking he needed a lot of work in order to catch up with his partner Pernelle. Though I don't know much about Ice dance, but even I doubted, back then, if Carron could have ever achieved as much as when she once was with Jost...however, I am very glad Carron/Jones finally proved me wrong this season.

As for Waver/Poje, I have been rooting for them ever since they moved to Anjelika/Pasquale! Really looking forward to seeing their very beautiful Free Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Am gonna miss Team France and Nathalie The Captain a lot;;;;

IMO, Igor definitely won Worlds in dance. For a guy who had no rink and only 2 teams (C&B and Tobias & Stagniunas) at this time last year, he was absolutely everywhere at Worlds, and all his students, except Riazanova & Tkachenko (and they weren't with him long), did better than ever, including Capellini & Lanotte, who finished 3rd in the FD & 4th overall.

Really, Igor rose from the dead remarkably quickly.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    I think it's definitely going a fight between Russia and Canada for gold, but ALL of the other teams have some crazy talented skaters that could certainly affect the balance of things. I'm always a little partial to Team France though - French skaters always have that "special something" I can't quite put my finger on.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast