WTT predictions | Page 8 | Golden Skate

WTT predictions

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah there were way better options for Russia. But I think that's about 4 points gone from ice dance now. This really is Canada's to lose now.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
They have several better teams though, such as the reigning junior world champions (Stepanova/Bukin), or Sinitsina/Zhiganshin (last years JWCs)
Look at this season's scores: S/B are practically at the same level of M/K, S/Z are at a lower level (finished behind M/K both at Nationals and at the Russian Cup Final without making major mistakes)...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
They are dropping like flies. I just read on another board that the French Fed. sent out a press release,
Natalie and Fabian are out (no reason given) and Carron/Jones are in. Also Ponsart
will replace Amodio. Unfortunately I cannot provide a link.

Thanks let's talk for the info on Song I hope he recovers soon.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
They are dropping like flies. I just read on another board that the French Fed. sent out a press release,
Natalie and Fabian are out (no reason given) and Carron/Jones are in. Also Ponsart
will replace Amodio. Unfortunately I cannot provide a link.

Thanks let's talk for the info on Song I hope he recovers soon.
Obviously he's still recovering from the injury... Now, with all these WD, I think that I'll change my predicitions:
1) Canada
2) USA
3) Russia
4) Japan
5) France
6) China

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, dear, and this was looking so good... I swear, I have no idea who is in or out any more, even!

lcd

Match Penalty
I seems increasingly obvious that for many of the skaters, this event THIS SEASON does very little but cut into an already relatively short time to prepare for the Olympic season. If one considers that the most important event next season will occur a month earlier than usual. Worlds are normally in March, but the Olympics are in February. Having to train "last season's programs" and travel for another event which extends the competitive season a month beyond where most of the competitors have moved on seems a little like "having to do summer school" when everyone else has left the building. It seems perfectly understandable to see why 'they are dropping like flies.'

It is a shame though as it always seems like a really fun event. And, being hosted in Japan makes it an event which will be well done and with very appreciative crowds. For athletes thinking about next season though, the Grand Prixs are only 6 months away! Having that extra month could make a real difference.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you remember a few years back when skaters had to do a qualifying round at Worlds, and it had to be a different program from their "regular" competition program?

They invariably selected the previous year's program for the qualifying round, and I was surprised at how uninspiring they seemed. Like they were just going through the motions.

For some of the skaters, I bet WTT will be like that. They're probably already focused on their Olympic programs (not finished, of course) so they'll just toss out their old programs that they haven't really been training, and be done with it.

I can't imagine they're going to interrupt their training to work diligently on a program that was in the rear view mirror. Oh, well, I wouldn't be.

Of course, maybe that's why the program is so light-hearted.

Also... I wonder if skaters just get tired of a program. A skater that does 2 Grand Prix events, GP Finals, Nationals, 4CC/Europeans, and World's is probably ready for something new, don't you think?

cassiem

On the Ice
They have several better teams though, such as the reigning junior world champions (Stepanova/Bukin), or Sinitsina/Zhiganshin (last years JWCs)
How do you know those teams are better? M/K are World Junior Champs too. They had a major setback due to mononucleosis and it took them a while to get back on track but they're starting to make progress now. They beat Sinitsina/Zhiganshin at Russian nationals. As for S/B, they've never competed on the senior level. Could they prepare senior programs in such a short space of time?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This past season, the SDs for Juniors and Seniors were different---Blues (JR) and Yankee Polka (SR). There is no way Stepanova/Bukin could get up to speed on the Yankee Polka in a less than two weeks.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do you know those teams are better? M/K are World Junior Champs too. They had a major setback due to mononucleosis and it took them a while to get back on track but they're starting to make progress now. They beat Sinitsina/Zhiganshin at Russian nationals. As for S/B, they've never competed on the senior level. Could they prepare senior programs in such a short space of time?

This past season, the SDs for Juniors and Seniors were different---Blues (JR) and Yankee Polka (SR). There is no way Stepanova/Bukin could get up to speed on the Yankee Polka in a less than two weeks.

Thank God someone stated the obvious. M/K also beat S/Z again 2 months ago.

FSGMT

Record Breaker

:clap:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
R&T stayed with Shpilband after Worlds. They may well have been offered WTT and refused, preferring to keep working with Igor on some much needed improvements to their technical skills in preparation for the Olympic year competition for the third spot in Russia (and a very intense & crowded competition it will be, with Z&S, S&B, M&K and R&T all vying for the one spot.)

Even if they were not offered the WTT spot, the extra weeks with Igor's group may be a blessing in disguise.

Of course, it's also possible that Igor will not be there for some of it as Chock & Bates are competing for the US at WTT. The way teams are dropping out like flies, they are likely to medal too. Heck if W&P pull out, they could win it by default.

Here's the current line up.

Canada W&P
US Chock & Bates
Russia Monko & Khaliavin
France Carron & Jones
Japan Reeds
China Yu & Wang

My biggest hope for this competition is that the Reeds & Yu & Wang manage to get their SB's scores up a bit higher.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Natalie and Fabian are out (no reason given) and Carron/Jones are in.

;;;;;My hubby is so disappointed by this news. He is a big Nathalie fan and has decided to go to WTT again with me, cause he thought it was going to be the very last opportunity for him to see her skate live and root for her, assuming it very likely Pechalat/Bourzat would retire from competitive skating upon Sochi and we won't see them compete at Tokyo Worlds...:cry:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about P/B. :(

But, with little competition, this is a really great opportunity for W/P to really solidify themselves as a strong team after injury and GP flubs last season. Also a great chance for C/B.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
deedee1, Has your husband seen Madison Chock before-now there is a girl who emotes over the top and fills the arena; and W&P are lovely, so it won't be an entirely lost part of the event.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia would have been in a better position had Bobrova/Soloviev been there in dance. Their #4 team Monko/Khaliavin won't place ahead of Weaver/Poje and Chock/Bates, and their singles probably won't medal. They have the top pair, but that's all.

Japan would be last in pairs and next to last in dance, and having Mura instead of Hanyu won't help.

With no Kostner, Wagner could medal and Gold could place top 4. Aaron should do pretty well, too, and Chock/Bates will probably place top two. Their only weak link is Pairs.

iceflame

Rinkside
I tried to calculate the points for each discipline. Not difficult for pairs and dance, but really hard to rank singles.
My prediction:
1. Canada (by slight margin)
2. USA (have chance to fight for gold)
3. Japan (strong in singles, and home advantage)
4. Russia (top in pairs, girls are strong but the field is deep)
5. China (generally not competitive, Li and Yan's performances will be the key)
6. France (absences of P/B and Amodio cost a lot)

ForeverFish

Medalist
Russia would have been in a better position had Bobrova/Soloviev been there in dance. Their #4 team Monko/Khaliavin won't place ahead of Weaver/Poje and Chock/Bates, and their singles probably won't medal. They have the top pair, but that's all.

Japan would be last in pairs and next to last in dance, and having Mura instead of Hanyu won't help.

With no Kostner, Wagner could medal and Gold could place top 4. Aaron should do pretty well, too, and Chock/Bates will probably place top two. Their only weak link is Pairs.

A clean Gold can definitely outplace Tukt, Sotnikova, Osmond, Li, and maybe even Wagner sans 3-3. There could be a medal in Gracie's near future.