WTT predictions | Page 9 | Golden Skate

WTT predictions

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the key for the Americans is the pairs event. They would be dead last, except for Japan, if placements from WC hold. I think to have a shot, they've got to improve.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Who will win Team Spirit Award I wonder. Last year it was France and only Italy could come closer. Japanese were rather traditional, USA/Russians were sometimes boring and lazy in K&C, Canada got disqualifed.

This year Italy is out and I am positive China won't make K&C as much fun as Italians could. Russians have Trankov now who could be both drama queen and a good clown, so who knows. Canada doesn't have Moir, so it could be a good factor that they at least will stay in TSA competiton. USA will probably be the same as last year. Japan has both major stars on team, Mao and Dai, so it might add some spice to their K&C. Still I think even without Amodio and Natalie, who was the captain and the leader in K&C French stuff, France will win. But I don't know if they can make it as fun as they did last year :points::party::yay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4cqCyWZyBY :clap::rock::

deedee1

Record Breaker
deedee1, Has your husband seen Madison Chock before-now there is a girl who emotes over the top and fills the arena; and W&P are lovely, so it won't be an entirely lost part of the event.

Thanks for your words of cheer, doris! :) You are right. Chock/Bates at US Nats, where my husband and I got to see thru TV live, was a pleasant surprise for us this season. Remembering how they had skated with her/his former partner previously/respectively, I didn't expect they could show us such a good unison as a team, you know, quite remarkable for a younger team like them (second year together, iirc). They did improve so much and grow a lot as a team, especially Madison, didn't she? :yes: To be honest, I was really impressed by all skaters under Shpilband at the recent Worlds, and Lloyd Jones was one of them! Before this season, I had been always thinking he needed a lot of work in order to catch up with his partner Pernelle. Though I don't know much about Ice dance, but even I doubted, back then, if Carron could have ever achieved as much as when she once was with Jost...however, I am very glad Carron/Jones finally proved me wrong this season.

As for Waver/Poje, I have been rooting for them ever since they moved to Anjelika/Pasquale! Really looking forward to seeing their very beautiful Free Dance. :love:

Am gonna miss Team France and Nathalie The Captain a lot;;;;

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
IMO, Igor definitely won Worlds in dance. :) For a guy who had no rink and only 2 teams (C&B and Tobias & Stagniunas) at this time last year, he was absolutely everywhere at Worlds, and all his students, except Riazanova & Tkachenko (and they weren't with him long), did better than ever, including Capellini & Lanotte, who finished 3rd in the FD & 4th overall.

Really, Igor rose from the dead remarkably quickly.

GF2445

Record Breaker
My predictions
Mens

1 Patrick Chan
2 Kevin Reynolds
3 Daisuke Takahashi
4 Han Yan
5 Max Aaron
6 Jeremy Abbott
7 Takahito Mura
8 Brian Joubert
9 Maxim Kovtun
10 Konstantin Menshov
11 Yi Wang
12 Romain Ponsart

Ladies

1 Mao Asada
2 Zijun Li
3 Adelina Sotnikova
4 Ashley Wagner
5 Akiko Suzuki
6 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
7 Gracie Gold
8 Kaetlyn Osmond
9 Kexin Zhang
10 Mae Berenice Meite
11 Gabrielle Daleman
12 Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry

Pairs

1 Tatiana Volosozhar/ Maxim Trankov
2 Meagan Duhamel/ Eric Radford
3 Vanessa James/ Morgan Cipres
4 Marissa Castelli/ Simon Shnapir
5. Chang Peng/ Hao Zhang

Ice Dance

1 Kaitlyn Weaver/ Andrew Poje
2 Madison Chock/ Evan Bates
3 Pernelle Carron/ Lloyd Jones
4 Ksenia Monko/ Kirill Khaliavin
5 Cathy Reed/ Chris Reed
6 Xiaoyang Yu/ Chen Wang

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I sense the judges love Chock and Bates and they will win here with probably a rather tired and struggling Weaver and Poje. W and P maybe should not have pushed their luck. C and B are scoring top marks in the world for technical skills and not that judges should hold them back they are finding it much easier than most teams in respect to earning respect of the judges. I and K and B and S from Russian and C and L have not nearly had the "respect' given so soon. I am not saying C and B aren't good but they seem to be a bit lucky. If C and B beat W and P it is all over for W and P possibly. C and B could win Oly bronze. I have given up on I and K. They arerumoured nto to work hard enough and have not been able to take advantage of their strengths and work on levels.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Never mind I see the results are up for the short dance and quelle surprise Chock and Bates are first by a lot and W and P made mistakes - I called it! lol.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would not read anything into C/B beating W/P at WTT. Weaver has had a serious injury which kept them off the ice for months leading up to Worlds. She still has metal inside her leg and she has to have surgery to remove it after WTT. This is somewhat analogous to Worlds 2011, where Tessa Virtue had had surgery on her legs and was out for much of the season. V/M were not able to skate up to par and D/W beat them for the first time.

In addition, W/P's programs this season were rather meh. They got the benefit of home ice at Worlds and that helped them kept their position in the overall rankings, but they hadn't done that well in the GP with those programs. I would hope that they can come back next season with some more interesting material.

Chock /Bates are on the rise, but they aren't 'there' yet. But IMO, C/B and W/P will have an exciting rivalry in the next quadrennial that will spur them both to skate at their very best.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So, Japan will have 54 points after the 7 points is added for pairs, and still be 2nd, with the US in 1st after C/S skate. Russia should get 1st in pairs and be 53 points in 3rd.

Canada should get 2nd in pairs and pull up to 45 points but that's wayyy behind considering Osmond/Reynolds/Daleman's SPs. :disapp: Wow, I would not have thought Canada would be fighting to get back up to the podium, when many - including myself - pegged them as the favourites.

Men's is really close too with 2-8th separated by 4 points (and if Reynolds pulls a 4CC, he could certainly pull up). Funny how USA/Russia/Canada all have 16 points from their men.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It looks like a USA-JPN-RUS podium, in any order.

Reynolds would have to finish 2nd overall for Canada to pull off the win. Even if Osmond pulls up a couple of places, there's Daleman at the bottom. Duhamel/Radford contribute 11 points, but even if Castelli/Shnapir finish 5th, they get 8 points, and V/T are a lock for 12. And whether W/P beat C/B or not, it won't make any difference, since there is only a 1 point gain for either side.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who will win Team Spirit Award I wonder. Last year it was France and only Italy could come closer. Japanese were rather traditional, USA/Russians were sometimes boring and lazy in K&C, Canada got disqualifed.

Good grief, how do you get disqualified for the Team Spirit Award???

Wouldn't that be akin to Miss Congeniality spitting tobacco juice on the stage?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, Japan will have 54 points after the 7 points is added for pairs, and still be 2nd, with the US in 1st after C/S skate. Russia should get 1st in pairs and be 53 points in 3rd.

Canada should get 2nd in pairs and pull up to 45 points but that's wayyy behind considering Osmond/Reynolds/Daleman's SPs. :disapp: Wow, I would not have thought Canada would be fighting to get back up to the podium, when many - including myself - pegged them as the favourites.

Men's is really close too with 2-8th separated by 4 points (and if Reynolds pulls a 4CC, he could certainly pull up). Funny how USA/Russia/Canada all have 16 points from their men.

Count me as one of those. However, it's not over till the fat lady sings or the last skater has a chance to choke.

altuixde

On the Ice
Here are the last skaters. Akiko held up pretty well last year as Japan's anchor; I hope she can do well again this year. But since Japan has no pair this year and how that affects the standings, I doubt that winning the trophy will even be a possibility for her to consider as she takes the ice.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Sotnikova and Suzuki have a podium if they don't fall apart in the FS. Gold, Wagner, and Asada are fighting for the bronze.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ That's a pretty big IF, considering recent history.

I still think the competition is up for grabs.

ForeverFish

Medalist
^^^ That's a pretty big IF, considering recent history.

I still think the competition is up for grabs.

Well, both Suzuki and Sotnikova are 6+ points ahead of the rest of the field. That gap's going to take quite a few mistakes on their behalf, or lights-out skates from everyone else, to bridge.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed, but I don't think it's implausible.

In fact, I think it's probable. We'll see.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
USA is +5 on Canada now, so they need to lose 2 and Canada makes up 3, or lose 4 and Canada makes up 1 (assuming C/S don't beat the Chinese/French teams in pairs).

Asada is likely (or more likely than not) to surpass Wagner and Gold after the FS. This reduces USA to 53 points. Osmond will likely beat Mae (even though Mae had a great Worlds FS). I have a feeling Daleman will beat Lenaelle, maybe Zhang or Li if either implode (I think Tuktamysheva will skate well, but not enough to overcome her SP deficit). Still Canada would be just 1 point behind the US. Really, what needs to happen is Osmond somehow surpasses either Gold or Wagner, in which case, Gold or Wagner would have a poor freeskate. There's only 5 points separating Osmond and Gold/Wagner, so a great skate by Osmond in the first flight could put the pressure on both US women to beat her.

C/B's surprise win over W/P might just be the difference between Team gold and silver.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, there's only 5 points separating Gold and Osmond, but Osmond plans only 6 triples and she is yet to complete a clean FS in international competition and has never landed more than 5. Gold plans 7 triples and she landed all 7 at Worlds. Wagner planned 7 and landed 6. Li also planned and landed 7 triples at Worlds, and she can repeat that to pass Osmond as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't think that C/B's win was a super-suprise; the two teams were within about 2 points of each other at Worlds; clearly any major mistakes by W&P or improvements by C&B could make a difference. As it happens, there were both. W&P had a fall, and C&B got level 4 on their twizzles in both the FD and SD. At Worlds they only received Level 3.