WTT predictions | Page 7 | Golden Skate

WTT predictions

LRK

Record Breaker
I also think that's derogatory, since it's implying they are mindlessly cheering somebody on. There are plenty of people on this forum who will cheer for skaters no matter what and I doubt they'd be appreciated being called Chanbots/Takahashibots/Maobots/Plushenkobots, etc. It's not because they're being robotic about it, it's because they enjoy watching that skater.

I too think it's derogatory - simply because the times I've seen it used, it's been a taunt. And "Maobot" has been quite pervasive too. I saw a lot of Yuna/Maobot taunts being hurled especially after the Olympics - and I wasn't even looking!

deedee1

Record Breaker
A fluffy video clip on 2012 WTT, 'Best Moments Team Skating' :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTv9Tn_uOQ0

Like the above, I am really looking forward to seeing smiley smiles from all participating skaters and coaches again this year! :party:
eta: what a shame we don't have Team Italy...i am gonna miss them a lot! especially Carolina, Valentina and Anna+Luca.;;;

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I too think it's derogatory - simply because the times I've seen it used, it's been a taunt. And "Maobot" has been quite pervasive too. I saw a lot of Yuna/Maobot taunts being hurled especially after the Olympics - and I wasn't even looking!

Okay, maybe not derogatory so much as juvenile... name calling in general, really.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bobrova/Soloviev have withdrawn and are replaced by Monko/Khaliavin (4th at Nationals). M/K have not competed internationally since Cup of Russia, where they were 6th.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my. I would think this makes the road much tougher for Russia.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Sad at all the injuries and roster changes.

I thought Russia had a good chance to win until this news.

I was also looking forward to seeing Nan Song and Florent Amodio. I hope Chan stays in it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding the "bot" references...

I haven't been an active participant as long as many, but I think the term is most often applied to people who appear to be so enamored of a particular skater that they are unable to objectively engage in a discussion involving their favorite.

That's an awfully long sentence :laugh:

In short, it's great to be a fan... even an avid fan... of a skater. It's tedious when the slightest critical observation is met with a metaphoric hail of gunfire in defense of that skater. Many, myself included, enjoy rational discussion about skating (and skaters). There's a reason I steer clear of the Fan Fest posts...

Just my observation/opinion... fully recognizing that I am a relative newcomer.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Regarding the "bot" references...

I haven't been an active participant as long as many, but I think the term is most often applied to people who appear to be so enamored of a particular skater that they are unable to objectively engage in a discussion involving their favorite..

Hah, and what's the term for people who appear to be so loathing of particular skaters that they are unable to objectively say anything even remotely positive in a discussion about them, even when it's merited? :p

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Bobrova/Soloviev have withdrawn and are replaced by Monko/Khaliavin (4th at Nationals). M/K have not competed internationally since Cup of Russia, where they were 6th.

I thought Ilinykh/Katsalapov were the replacements for Bobrova/Soloviev?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wow what a weak entry for Russia in dance. Why wouldnt R/T have been asked? Maybe the RSF is already down on them now.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Bobrova/Soloviev have withdrawn and are replaced by Monko/Khaliavin (4th at Nationals).

no...If Ilinykh/Katsalapov unable to compete due to injury, they at least could have sent Riazanova/Tkachenko, then...:eek:hwell:
In Ice Dance, we are not going to see any of medalists from 2013 London Worlds.;;; And no Amodio nor Song now....:cry:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think that I/K and R/T declined (they didn't expect to be called and maybe they're already on holiday), so they sent the 4th place couple at Nationals, and I think that they want to give them an opportunity to have some senior international experience (like Gold or Kovtun last year), because they're really good!

let`s talk

Match Penalty

96skiluvr

On the Ice
They have several better teams though, such as the reigning junior world champions (Stepanova/Bukin), or Sinitsina/Zhiganshin (last years JWCs)