WTT predictions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

WTT predictions

I am pretty sure they will get a 7. That is the score for last place. In other words, every team automatically starts with 14 points before the competition begins, then they go from there.

OK, here’s a starting point. Going by placement at Worlds, it comes out like this. (Skaters who were not at Worlds split the bottom placements.)

Men

Chan 12
Reynolds 11
Takahashi 10
Aaron 9
Mura 8
Joubert 7
Amodio 6
Song 5
Kovtun 4
Abbott 2
Menshov 2
Yan 2

Ladies

Asada 12
Wagner 11
Gold 10
Li 9
Osmond 8
Sotnikova 7
Tuktamysheva 6
Meite 5
Suzuki 4
Zhang 3
Daleman 1.5
Gillero-Gorry 1.5

Pairs

Volosozhar/Trankov 12
Duhamel/Radford 11
James/Cipres 10
Peng/Zhang 9
Castelli/Shnapir 8
Japan 7

Dance

Bobrova/Soloviev 12
Weaver/Poje 11
Pechalat/Boursat 10
Chock/Bates 9
Reed/Reed 8
Yu/Wang 7

Totals

Canada 54.5
Japan 49
USA 49
Russia 43
France 39.5
China 35

:biggrin:

By the way. according to the rules (posted by altuixde above) Japan will have it's prize money reduced by 25% for not sending a pairs team.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are only two things I want to see at WTT:

Menshov demolishing Kovtun

Aaron demolishing Abbott. (Also Aaron generally doing well overall!)

ivy

On the Ice
That's a great analysis MM! Seems like Abbott has a good chance of getting more then 2, Aaron maybe less then 9? Suzuki may have some upside too...

So how come D/W and V/M got to pass - I thought it was required if you were a top finisher, barring injury. Just wondering...

aims

Rinkside
There are only two things I want to see at WTT:

Menshov demolishing Kovtun

Aaron demolishing Abbott. (Also Aaron generally doing well overall!)

No~!
I agree with Menshov demolishing Kovtun just to get that stab at the Russian Federation, but I DO want to see a flawless Abbott for a change.

prettykeys

Medalist
Neither of those terms is directed at the skater personally. Didn't Yu Na fall twice on her FS at 2010 Worlds? Or maybe once in the FS and once in the short. And where did Kaetlyn place? 8th? That doesn't look like inflation to me.
I have no idea what YuNa's competitive record has anything to do with this conversation/thread, but no, she fell once throughout the whole competition (in the FS). It was a disastrous competition for her, relatively speaking, but she only fell once.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Prediction: Chan will win even if he falls 6 times and his fans will open threads to say that he deserved the title and nobody understands the rules.

First Kavaguti would have to change her name back to Kowaguchi and beg Japan to restore her citizenship.

As for Jeremy Abbott, all he has to do to score some nice points for the team is to omit the quad. Do a triple Axel, a nice Lutz combo, emote a little...

fairly4

Medalist
U.S.A., Canada,Russia can win it Japan has outside chance .,i think because n,field i all about same how men skate will determine which team wins.
Also regarding petition seems only canada can petition & get results they want . Seems e not to long ago they bitched regarding a clean pair,skate,to, win,ogm received it even,though other messed uo a little suppose harder program. My how times have changed. Maybe not . All along i stated as lkng as it davord your team, skater y po u

are,fi with the scoring but god help the fan who points out what,is wrong with the winner etc. tn

The ijs system wouldvwork if poltics, federation ,sksters, coaches stay out of wsy. According to systm any little mistake suppose to get no points un oc mark ,,,,zero higedy not these 1,2 3 .but everine wants high scores and marks for trying oer system,do,or dont get it but kike dine for 100 years tweaked to fa or certain dkatets and sceew ip dpory in process UNlike in PAST SOCIAL MEDIA WONT ALLOW IT. CANT COVER IT UP AND GET AWAT WIRH IT , EXPLAIN WAY OUT IF MESS,

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Prediction: Chan will win even if he falls 6 times and his fans will open threads to say that he deserved the title and nobody understands the rules.

Let's hold you to this. He has great pcs (skills) but not a six fall cushion and you know it. Guys, please look at the score sheets and the rules that is how Carolina, Sqaured and the lin the past Lambiel and Buttle have done so well. Sometimes it is do the math hence even if ie. Buttle had little chance to land the quad but fully rotate it - it was worth the fall as it was worth a clean like triple loop or something. People whine and complain about chan but it is the scoring system or cop - that's why until rules were changed again everyone was doing some form of the Bielleman or the ugly positiosn in spirals - it got points. Ugly positions may be ugly but that doesn't mean it is easier or even poor positions - just ugly - maybe that can get docked in performance but technically if well done it is well done. It is like someone who h ates country music but if the performance is well done technically and artistically thefact you hate the music is tough. You score it for what it is not whether you prefer certain music. The scoring system does not take into consideration and I am not suggesting they should that you always skate to such and such music and use the same transitions or footsteps. It marks what it sees on the ice on that day - ironically the goal many would say. Sadly we will never end this battle until figure skating is murdered, killed, destroyed.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Chan fell 4 times in JO this season and ended up on the last place. So, I still have some hope. But seriously, with all the sarcastic tone and anger of fs community regarding his second fake win in a row at Worlds, he really should have some decency not to show up in public for sometime. But WTT is privately sponsored by TV Asahi whose overgenerous prize money is so seducing.... :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
Chan fell 4 times in JO this season and ended up on the last place. So, I still have some hope. But seriously, with all the sarcastic tone and anger of fs community regarding his second fake win in a row at Worlds, he really should have some decency not to show up in public for sometime. But WTT is privately sponsored by TV Asahi whose overgenerous prize money is so seducing.... :biggrin:

Actually, I'm predicting that if he makes mistakes, he won't win at WTT; after all this competition doesn't really matter - or not in the same way - and they can come out and be all "But, look, he didn't win here! See how fair we are?" Like last year, you know. :)

Mystic

Rinkside
True that. S/K have tremendous potential. C/S--she's wonderful; he skates like a lummox. A lummox with no personality. Still I see the US doing no worse than about 3rd. YMMV of course.

I wonder how Castelli and Speroff would look together? Don't they skate at the same rink?

NMURA

Medalist
If both Takahashi and Chan skate like at worlds in Canada, the point gap will be (less than) 10 points. No way chan can win with 6 falls. Don't underestimate the home inflation in Japan.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I have no idea what YuNa's competitive record has anything to do with this conversation/thread, but no, she fell once throughout the whole competition (in the FS). It was a disastrous competition for her, relatively speaking, but she only fell once.

Yeah, her SP was an unmitigated disaster. After a beautiful 3Z-3T, she UR'ed the flip, bailed her layback spin (no points for it), and even messed up her spiral sequence. Fell on the 3S in the FS and singled an axel.

Okay, I've been asleep. Where is WTT held? It's in Japan? Sorry to be so clueless, but in my defense, I've been busy at work. I just listen to you guys and follow your YouTube links afterward.

altuixde

On the Ice
WTT will be at Yoyogi National Stadium, Tokyo on April 11-14. It will be streamed on icenetwork.com and will be broadcast on TV in Japan (and will probably be available through other channels too). Actually, I'm not sure if it'll be available live on icenetwork this time, or if it will be available after some delay.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That's a great analysis MM! Seems like Abbott has a good chance of getting more then 2, Aaron maybe less then 9? Suzuki may have some upside too...

So how come D/W and V/M got to pass - I thought it was required if you were a top finisher, barring injury. Just wondering...

so Japan gets seven points in pairs for not having a team??? That sounds wrong. No skater no points no money.