Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: WTT predictions

Custom Title
    The rules are pretty important. For example if a running point total was kept at the WTT with the current format Japan would be in huge trouble with zero points for pairs0 whereas a weak pairs team should score over 100 still. To get seven ordinal points is pretty big versus zero. The scoring system is key. 7 versus zero would affect the results

Custom Title
    I would think if they got 0 points they would throw some pair together to just go out there and get the 7 points for last place. I find it hard to believe that in a country of > 125 million there would not be at least one pair able to go out and skate into last place.

I believe that Japan has no qualifying pair team, otherwise I think they would just throw someone in there.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I suppose I'm still catching up on the format and rules for the Olympic event...

But I think this means that Team Event skaters will need to perform in two Olympic-caliber/pressure events within a week of each other?

How exciting! It's the growth of our sport in a new direction, away from individual glory and achievement and towards a unifying team spirit.

All sorts of drama involved here: Will the judging panels be the same as the individual events? Will skaters go full out, or save themselves for their individual events? Will the skaters favored for individual podium finishes participate or pass on the opportunity to lower ranked skaters? Will skaters like Yuna Kim (presumably, South Korea will not qualify for the Team Event) benefit if Kostner, Mao, and the other individual candidates have already skated a full Olympic program before their event commences, or will it be just the opposite because the other top candidates have already survived Olympic pressure? Will the sport evolve like gymnastics did, where the Team Event is more important than individual honors?

I cannot wait to see how this turns out! Bonus: More Olympic figure skating!

Custom Title
    Honestly, I don't like that the team event is BEFORE the individual events. It's going to put those skaters who have to skate in the team event at a massive disadvantage.

I think either they make the team event after the individual so that the skaters in the team event do NOT have a disadvantage, or they make the team event a seperate team, seperate to the places earned at the previous Worlds. (IE, say, the US sends Aaron and Miner as their individual skaters, they may then send Farris for the team event, or something.)

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    When I first heard about the Team Event, I wondered if they'd just add up the placements of the top competitor in each event... and lowest total wins.

I didn't realize there would be a separate event entirely. Who knows how this will turn out... adds to the excitement, and, not doubt, to the debate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Honestly, I don't like that the team event is BEFORE the individual events. It's going to put those skaters who have to skate in the team event at a massive disadvantage.
    I actually thought the opposite, that skating in the team event would be an advantage because the skaters can get used to the ice and arena in a competition scenario. I also would prefer to see the team event follow the individual events, but I understand the Games' marquee event is the Ladies Competition and they want to hold that as late into the games as possible.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    When I first heard about the Team Event, I wondered if they'd just add up the placements of the top competitor in each event... and lowest total wins.

I didn't realize there would be a separate event entirely. Who knows how this will turn out... adds to the excitement, and, not doubt, to the debate.
    there are olympic rules against that actually. You can't use the scores from another event.

Custom Title
    There's no merit for the IOC to award medals which contribute nothing for ticket sales and TV ratings.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I believe that Japan has no qualifying pair team, otherwise I think they would just throw someone in there.
    Qualifying pair team? Is there a qualification system for specific skater/team after the country has qualified?

No, and as a matter of fact, if one of the countries who qualifies doesn't have a team/individual in a given event because they didn't qualify, then they can add that team/individual (say, Italy and pairs as an example)

Custom Title
    but Italy has a strong pairs team of course but we get your point.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Italy, men's, or Japan, pairs are better examples.

Since Italy has a World Champion class lady, 4th place dance, and decent pair, should the Italian fed crawl on their knees to Contesti to get him to skate again?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Italy, men's, or Japan, pairs are better examples.

Since Italy has a World Champion class lady, 4th place dance, and decent pair, should the Italian fed crawl on their knees to Contesti to get him to skate again?
    I spoke to Contesti at the 2010 Olympics, my impression was that by then he was already ready to retire after the Torino Worlds in 2010. Frankly, it is a surprise he continued on a bit. Sadly, I don't think he has the competitive fire in him still otherwise team Italy could indeed be competitive at the Olympic Team event.

Custom Title
    It's not likely to happen (given Suzuki and Takahashi's recent outings), but it would be crazy if the Japanese men and women skated lights out, getting about 21 points in each of their disciplines (ending up 1st and 4th, or 2nd and 3rd, would be sufficient), and the Reeds got their 7 points and the non-pair got 7 points... earning 56-something points and the win.

Without a pairs team - even if they didn't receive any pairs points - they would have been comfortably in 2nd last year.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast