Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: WTT predictions

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I also think that's derogatory, since it's implying they are mindlessly cheering somebody on. There are plenty of people on this forum who will cheer for skaters no matter what and I doubt they'd be appreciated being called Chanbots/Takahashibots/Maobots/Plushenkobots, etc. It's not because they're being robotic about it, it's because they enjoy watching that skater.
    I too think it's derogatory - simply because the times I've seen it used, it's been a taunt. And "Maobot" has been quite pervasive too. I saw a lot of Yuna/Maobot taunts being hurled especially after the Olympics - and I wasn't even looking!

Custom Title
    A fluffy video clip on 2012 WTT, 'Best Moments Team Skating'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTv9Tn_uOQ0

Like the above, I am really looking forward to seeing smiley smiles from all participating skaters and coaches again this year!
    eta: what a shame we don't have Team Italy...i am gonna miss them a lot! especially Carolina, Valentina and Anna+Luca.;;;

Custom Title
    double post

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I too think it's derogatory - simply because the times I've seen it used, it's been a taunt. And "Maobot" has been quite pervasive too. I saw a lot of Yuna/Maobot taunts being hurled especially after the Olympics - and I wasn't even looking!
    Okay, maybe not derogatory so much as juvenile... name calling in general, really.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Okay, maybe not derogatory so much as juvenile... name calling in general, really.
    Can't it be both?

Custom Title
    Bobrova/Soloviev have withdrawn and are replaced by Monko/Khaliavin (4th at Nationals). M/K have not competed internationally since Cup of Russia, where they were 6th.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Oh my. I would think this makes the road much tougher for Russia.

Custom Title
    Sad at all the injuries and roster changes.

I thought Russia had a good chance to win until this news.

I was also looking forward to seeing Nan Song and Florent Amodio. I hope Chan stays in it.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Regarding the "bot" references...

I haven't been an active participant as long as many, but I think the term is most often applied to people who appear to be so enamored of a particular skater that they are unable to objectively engage in a discussion involving their favorite.

That's an awfully long sentence

In short, it's great to be a fan... even an avid fan... of a skater. It's tedious when the slightest critical observation is met with a metaphoric hail of gunfire in defense of that skater. Many, myself included, enjoy rational discussion about skating (and skaters). There's a reason I steer clear of the Fan Fest posts...

Just my observation/opinion... fully recognizing that I am a relative newcomer.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Regarding the "bot" references...

I haven't been an active participant as long as many, but I think the term is most often applied to people who appear to be so enamored of a particular skater that they are unable to objectively engage in a discussion involving their favorite..
    Hah, and what's the term for people who appear to be so loathing of particular skaters that they are unable to objectively say anything even remotely positive in a discussion about them, even when it's merited?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Bobrova/Soloviev have withdrawn and are replaced by Monko/Khaliavin (4th at Nationals). M/K have not competed internationally since Cup of Russia, where they were 6th.
    I thought Ilinykh/Katsalapov were the replacements for Bobrova/Soloviev?

Custom Title
    I/K declined due to injury.

Banned
    Wow what a weak entry for Russia in dance. Why wouldnt R/T have been asked? Maybe the RSF is already down on them now.

Custom Title
    Or even Sinitsina/Zhiganshin? or Stepanova/Bukin?

Custom Title
    I'm going with this:
    1. Canada
    2. US
    3. Russia
    4. Japan
    5. France
    6. China

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast