2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit

jdw715

Rinkside
(3/25/13) - U.S. Figure Skating announced today the selection of Joe Louis Arena in Detroit as the host venue for 2013 Hilton HHonors Skate America. The international event is the first of six stops on the International Skating Union (ISU) Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series. Competition will take place Oct. 18-20.

More

Party at my house, Saturday night right after the ladies long! Everyone is invited! :party2:

Gosh, the last time a big skating event was held at the Joe, there was a huge surge of interest afterward that buoyed the sport for a decade.

parma

On the Ice
Does anyone know when the skater assignments will be announced this year? Thanks.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Party at my house, Saturday night right after the ladies long! Everyone is invited! :party2:

Gosh, the last time a big skating event was held at the Joe, there was a huge surge of interest afterward that buoyed the sport for a decade.

Hm...yes! Maybe I will come for that reason alone. ;)

As for that huge surge of interest....that would require some knee whacking...question is who?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gosh, I hope I can make it. I'm doing Nationals in Boston, but that sounds so great. I just have t sell some blood :rofl:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gosh, I hope I can make it. I'm doing Nationals in Boston, but that sounds so great. I just have t sell some blood :rofl:

Would love to go to Boston, but alas, it's not going to work with all the other stuff going on at the P. household. Same for Skate America...

But I hope you get to go Doris!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will be at the Holiday Inn Express, unless the USFSA gets me a better rate somewhere. Cant wait to see the Detroit Marathon go by as we are trying to get to the finals on Sunday!
I think there will be pleanty of Canadians come down from the Northland for this event. Lets see...I have the entry list here somewhere....
Evan L. Plushy Max A. Denis T. Chan,
AC, YuNa, Gracie, Ashley, Mirai, Mao, KM, A. Suzuki, Carolina
V/M, D/W, L/L, C/B
Pairs will include Germans, Canadians, Russians..
Should be a good skate!

Krislite

Medalist
I will be at the Holiday Inn Express, unless the USFSA gets me a better rate somewhere. Cant wait to see the Detroit Marathon go by as we are trying to get to the finals on Sunday!
I think there will be pleanty of Canadians come down from the Northland for this event. Lets see...I have the entry list here somewhere....
Evan L. Plushy Max A. Denis T. Chan,
AC, YuNa, Gracie, Ashley, Mirai, Mao, KM, A. Suzuki, Carolina
V/M, D/W, L/L, C/B
Pairs will include Germans, Canadians, Russians..
Should be a good skate!

LOL! Quite a line-up there for Skate America. :laugh:

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
The arena has about 20000+ seats which is more than Staples Center where 09 Worlds was held.
I would call it success if only the lower bowl of the arena is full.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think I'm gonna try to make it to this or skate canada. If this year is anything like last, though, trying to pick between them will be torture (though if this year is anything like last year I won't end up being able to go to either, so on second thought let's not root for that.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thrilled for all of you who will be able to attend! Certainly a convenient venue for a number of the NA skaters & international skaters training in Michigan/Ontario.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I dont think you will have any problems getting good seats in Detroit. But it should be better attended than Ontario CA or Portland. The Canadians will come down, especially if there are top level Canadian skaters there.
The arena is interesting.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Louis_Arena

Skate Canada has been selling seats for sometime, plus AFAIR, it is in St. John, New Brunswick
http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2088/language/en-US/Default.aspx

There are better chances of good seats at Skate America, it looks like, with such a big arena.

I'm living in Ann Arbor, so excited about this news. My dream comes true!

Welcome, Shuchong! Gee, it's your first day, and I'm already jealous of you; you get to go to Skate America!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just imagine: Skate America in an Olympic season.