2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Interestingly, on the news tonight, Spokane is hosting a major volley ball tournement and a major women's basketball tournement this weekend and the local news talked about personal saftey of visitors. The people who stand to make money off the visitors (like restaurants) have demanded a good police presence downtown and Spokane is pulling out all the stops...uniformed and plain clothes officers, K-9 units and gang units will be everwhere. I have seen this at many skating events and it always has been a good investment for the communities to make the visitors feel safe. I bet Detroit does a great job at SA.
The downtown area is perfectly safe during the day and so is the people mover. There is a big police presence whenever an event is going on, people go around in groups, everything is well-lighted and covered by security cameras. (In fact, Detroit residents complain that in these hard economic times the police department is so diligent in patrolling downtown entertainment venues that there are not enough police deployed in residential neighborhoods.) I go down there all the time, and ride on the people mover, and I never feel uncomfortable.

Walking around at night, just find some other people to walk with and use the common sense that you would anywhere. The sides streets are pretty much deserted at night.

There is a cool entertainment district called Greektown nearby (maybe a little too far to walk) with a lot of great medium-priced ethnic restaurants.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Does anyone know if Skate America has ticket pre-sale like Skate Canada had last time at Worlds? I just don't want to miss an opportunity to get good seats..

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Apparently the Skate America website will go live on May 20. Here is a link: http://www.2013skateamerica.com/

To add to the congestion in downtown the Detroit Lions football team will be hosting the Cincinnati Bengals at Ford Field (located downtown) at 1 p.m. on October 20th. :popcorn:

Wouldn't it be just hilarious if the Detroit Tigers make it to the postseason like they did last year. The Tigers could end up playing at Comerica Park (also located downtown) on October 20th. Surely, if that happens, Major League Baseball will make it an away game for Detroit!! :laugh:

Last edited:

pista04

On the Ice
As a Metropolitan Detroiter (certain Novi) I cannot wait! Skate America will be my first skating event ever and I am coming home from college just for it. Unfortunately I work on Monday and will not have Internet access so I was going to have the boyf buy the tickets for me and my mom. Should I be concerned about them selling out? Will the tickets be somewhat of a surprise in what they include (practice, etc)? Any tips will be helpful!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Pista04 if you order the tickets and have them held at will call at the box office be aware that you must show the credit card used to make the purchase and a photo id. If your boyfriend orders on his card and you show up to claim them it will be a problem.

Watching figure skating live is a wonderful experience. Practices are fabulous....you just need about 4 sets of eyes to try and watch everyone at the same time :laugh: If you are home for the summer you might want to think about attending some of Skate Detroit at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills in July. Skate Detroit is free and parking is free. The rinks are freezing cold and seating is mostly bleachers, but it is still a lot of fun.

They have updated the seating chart and show the NBC camera area and judges area on opposite sides of the rink. I've never noticed that many rows blocked at center ice for cameras but maybe this is a different arrangement.

Watching figure skating live is a wonderful experience. Practices are fabulous....you just need about 4 sets of eyes to try and watch everyone at the same time :laugh: If you are home for the summer you might want to think about attending some of Skate Detroit at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills in July. Skate Detroit is free and parking is free. The rinks are freezing cold and seating is mostly bleachers, but it is still a lot of fun.

:rock: Practices are the best part! You get to see quite a few full run-throughs, and then you can compare how the skaters did in the actual performances with what you were expecting, based on the practices. The top skaters are well aware that they are being judged, by the (sparse) audience at least, at all times, even in public practices.

About Skate Detroit, although most of the seats are bleachers they are perfectly comfortable and there are no bad seats. You can see the whole rink from either the front rows or the back.

Maybe Alissa will be there, debuting her new short program (assuming she keeps Gone with the Wind for the long).

For that matter, maybe she will be at Skate America with a host pick!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
:rock: Practices are the best part! You get to see quite a few full run-throughs, and then you can compare how the skaters did in the actual performances with what you were expecting, based on the practices. The top skaters are well aware that they are being judged, by the (sparse) audience at least, at all times, even in public practices.

About Skate Detroit, although most of the seats are bleachers they are perfectly comfortable and there are no bad seats. You can see the whole rink from either the front rows or the back.

Maybe Alissa will be there, debuting her new short program (assuming she keeps Gone with the Wind for the long).

:agree:

deedee1

Record Breaker
:eek: AHHHHH I WANT TO GO TO SKATE AMERICA!!!!! Brian Daisuke Evan...:love: and Taka Tatsuki Max Artur Dennis.... though i know it won't happen...:cry:

Nena

Rinkside
Is anyone from Omaha going? Or do you know anyone from Omaha who is going? My dad won't let me go unless someone goes with me and I'm getting kind of desperate here. I'm super worried that the all the hotel rooms will be taken before I can find someone to go with me.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice

I may have to go to Skate Detroit. When will the list of participants be announced? Do you know, Mathman?

(I'm holding back on buying tickets for Skate America. I live close enough, but I am supposed to give a paper at a conference in AZ that same weekend. I would cancel or ask one of my colleagues to read my paper if it were announced that AC is competing at SA.)

I may have to go to Skate Detroit. When will the list of participants be announced? Do you know, Mathman?

(I'm holding back on buying tickets for Skate America. I live close enough, but I am supposed to give a paper at a conference in AZ that same weekend. I would cancel or ask one of my colleagues to read my paper if it were announced that AC is competing at SA.)

About Skate Detroit, in past years there were quite a few roster changes up to the last minute. I hope MFarone will keep us up to date. :clap:

For Skate America, you could give your paper by Skype from the Joe. :yes: "So as you see, the gross domestic product of Nepal is 47.2% of...Whoa, Alissa just nailed her triple Lutz!" :)

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
About Skate Detroit, in past years there were quite a few roster changes up to the last minute. I hope MFarone will keep us up to date. :clap:

For Skate America, you could give your paper by Skype from the Joe. :yes: "So as you see, the gross domestic product of Nepal is 47.2% of...Whoa, Alissa just nailed her triple Lutz!" :)

LOL, for real. If only philosophers had such a grasp on technology. :)

And, also, I'm going to take your joke as a prediction. The lutz is one of AC's best (most consistent, correct-edge) jumps, which is one of her strengths I think we internet commentators tend to overlook.

Thanks for your reply!

deedee1 said:
AHHHHH I WANT TO GO TO SKATE AMERICA!!!!! Brian Daisuke Evan... and Taka Tatsuki Max Artur Dennis.... though i know it won't happen...

Yeah, deedee, I'm with you. Gas up the magic carpet!

Last edited by a moderator:

Victura

On the Ice
Does anyone know where the competition practices will be held? Will it be at the Joe Louis Arena, or are they using a practice rink in the area? Also, any idea what the practice schedule might be?

mskater93

Record Breaker

As an update, Alissa will NOT be starting her season off at Grand Rapids Open (which she did before her 2009 campaign). I checked the skater list to see who's in my group and I peeked at Senior ladies as well and she's not going to be there. :( Such a shame. I enjoyed being in the locker room with her in 2009 when she told her coach to stop giving her Broadmoor Open scores...

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The Westin Book Cadillac is completely sold out on 10/19. It's like 4 blocks from the arena.
Is this where the skaters/families are staying?

I'm thinking about going to cheer for Mao.