Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit

I dont think you will have any problems getting good seats in Detroit. But it should be better attended than Ontario CA or Portland. The Canadians will come down, especially if there are top level Canadian skaters there.
    The arena is interesting.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Louis_Arena

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Skate Canada has been selling seats for sometime, plus AFAIR, it is in St. John, New Brunswick
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2088/language/en-US/Default.aspx

There are better chances of good seats at Skate America, it looks like, with such a big arena.

Rinkside
    I'm living in Ann Arbor, so excited about this news. My dream comes true!

Welcome, Shuchong! Thanks for joining us. See you at the Joe!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shuchong View Post
    I'm living in Ann Arbor, so excited about this news. My dream comes true!
    Welcome, Shuchong! Gee, it's your first day, and I'm already jealous of you; you get to go to Skate America!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just imagine: Skate America in an Olympic season.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Party at my house, Saturday night right after the ladies long! Everyone is invited!
    Toga... Toga... TOGA!

There appears to be something called the "People Mover"
    http://www.thepeoplemover.com/Station-Guide.id.3.htm
    There is an interactive map to show where the stations are.
    Below is a description. If I understand this, it is an unmanned monorail system that goes in one clockwise loop. The cars on the loop appear every 3-4 minutes at any station and stop for 20 seconds.
    You can ride the entire loop in 15 minutes. Am I correct? I am also assuming that if one is disabled and cant get out of the way of a door closing, there is some sort of emergency stop button.
    This looks like the hot set up to go back to the Doubletree/Holiday inn Express at night.

The DTC fleet consists of twelve driverless vehicles that are fully automated and computer controlled. The vehicles are each powered by a linear induction motor that can provide a maximum velocity of 56 mph. Vehicles and stations (with the exception of Grand Circus Park - see below) are handicapped accessible and each vehicle has two wheelchair securement positions. Vehicles are also equipped with a climate control system that provides maximum passenger comfort from outside temperatures that can have a seasonal range from sub-zero to 100 plus degrees.

People Mover fare is $.75 and can be paid by U.S. coins, People Mover tokens and by monthly, semi-annual, annual and special event passes. All stations are equipped with automatic turnstiles and disability accessible gates, with the exception of Grand Circus Park Station, which is stairway access, standard faregates only. Persons certified as disabled, Medicare card holders and the elderly are eligible for discounted (50%) passes and tokens.

Normal weekday operating hours are 6:30 a.m. to Midnight, with an extension to 2 a.m. on Friday. Weekend hours are 9 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Saturday and Noon to Midnight on Sunday. Early openings and extensions of evening hours are provided to accommodate sports events, major conventions and other special events taking place in the Central Business District. Round trip on the system is approximately 15 minutes and headway ranges from 3 to 4 minutes. Average dwell at each station is 20 seconds.

Custom Title
    How nifty, Chris! It sounds like loads of fun to ride. (I can't say I like the thought of that seasonal temperature range. Bring mittens!)

Fall in Deroit doesnt scare me...I spent 40 years of my life in the mid-west....before I escaped! This people mover system does make Detroit more appealing....walking around the area on Google street view showed some areas that werent too "walker friendly"
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    How nifty, Chris! It sounds like loads of fun to ride. (I can't say I like the thought of that seasonal temperature range. Bring mittens!)

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Holy crap it's at the Joe.

Tempted to go. If I can make time. And figure out how to get there from East Lansing.

Any savy Detroiters know how to avoid the $50 cab ride from the airport? The number 125 bus looks like it might go near the arena.....

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    A lot of hotels, wherever you go, offer shuttle pickup (free) from the airport. I'd check with the hotel you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Any savy Detroiters know how to avoid the $50 cab ride from the airport? The number 125 bus looks like it might go near the arena.....
    Detroit is not a place you want to ride a bus unless you know exactly what you are doing and where you are going or take the people mugger, er, mover, to be honest. Check for a hotel shuttle or pay the $50...

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    I hope I can find someone to drag along with me, since I don't want to be driving to Detroit by myself.

Or that I can take the time to go, since I don't know my Friday or Monday schedule for next semester, so I'm not sure what my class/teaching duties look like.

The People Mover is cool, but it only goes around a little loop downtown. If you think you might want go other places than just to the skating events and back, you might consider renting a car. This would solve the taxi from the airport problem, too.

Public transportation in Detroit is poor to non-existent. This is by deliberate design. Over the years the auto companies put the kibosh on all plans to improve public transportation because they wanted people to buy more cars. Taxi service is also poor.

On the other hand, zipping around town in a car is quite convenient. Parking is not exactly cheap, but it is abundant, even in the heart of the downtown area. Everywhere you want to go, there is a freeway that takes you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    I hope I can find someone to drag along with me, since I don't want to be driving to Detroit by myself.

Or that I can take the time to go, since I don't know my Friday or Monday schedule for next semester, so I'm not sure what my class/teaching duties look like.
    If you don't want to drive around in Detroit by yourself, you can actually commute (90 minutes each way). Get on I-96 in Lansing, switch to the Lodge at Telegraph Road, and keep going until you get there. The last freeway exit is "Joe Louis Arena Parking."
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-27-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Holy crap it's at the Joe.

Tempted to go. If I can make time. And figure out how to get there from East Lansing.
    I will be making the trek from good ole EL to Detroit for this. Wouldn't miss it for the world! And the trip down 96 is typically real easy going unless you go at a really busy time. In general it should not take too long at all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast