Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    If you don't want to drive around in Detroit by yourself, you can actually commute (90 minutes each way). Get on I-96 in Lansing, switch to the Lodge at Telegraph Road, and keep going until you get there. The last freeway exit is "Joe Louis Arena Parking."
    I'm not worried about the actual driving as much as me, driving to somewhere I've never driven to. I don't like not knowing exactly where I'm going if I'm driving by myself. Even driving between my house and my undergrad school last year if I went home for the weekend was nervewracking the first few times, despite it being the simplest route ever.

Also, long drives can make me sleepy if I'll be doing a lot of sitting.

OK, I have to ask...is there a history of crime on the People Mover? On the light rail from Cleveland Airport to downtown, the train driver was in a bullet proof booth....
    (for reference, I called the front desk of the Holiday inn Express and they dont have a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. He said the only way is a taxi. I think it is a 22 mi drive or so the website said. Also, the web says the hotel room tax is 13 to 15 percent, so the $177 a night at the express would be a bit higher....it will be interesting to see what the USFSA comes up with for special room rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Detroit is not a place you want to ride a bus unless you know exactly what you are doing and where you are going or take the people mugger, er, mover, to be honest. Check for a hotel shuttle or pay the $50...

There's a history of crime in downtown Detroit, which is what the people mover circles. When it was first opened (I hadn't left for college yet), there was more crime on the people mover than on the entire elevated system in Chicago.

The downtown area is perfectly safe during the day and so is the people mover. There is a big police presence whenever an event is going on, people go around in groups, everything is well-lighted and covered by security cameras. (In fact, Detroit residents complain that in these hard economic times the police department is so diligent in patrolling downtown entertainment venues that there are not enough police deployed in residential neighborhoods.) I go down there all the time, and ride on the people mover, and I never feel uncomfortable.

Walking around at night, just find some other people to walk with and use the common sense that you would anywhere. The sides streets are pretty much deserted at night.

There is a cool entertainment district called Greektown nearby (maybe a little too far to walk) with a lot of great medium-priced ethnic restaurants.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-29-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Party at my house, Saturday night right after the ladies long! Everyone is invited!

Gosh, the last time a big skating event was held at the Joe, there was a huge surge of interest afterward that buoyed the sport for a decade.
    I live in Indianapolis so I may make the drive up to Detroit for the big event!!

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    I'm going wherever YuNa's showing...so if YuNa is scheduled for SA, I'm partying at the Mathman's house after... (and may make you regret your open invitation!)

Custom Title
    Since the US must pick someone ranked 1-3, that should mean we are guaranteed at least one of Yuna, carolina, or Mao, but not more than one. Am I correct on this? I wondered how the US was able to select such a weak field last year with few top ladies skaters, so Ashley would have an easier path to the GPF. I forgot that Leonova, was in the top three at worlds in 2012, yet could only manage 7th with a 153 score at SA. I am willing to travel 4 hours to Detroit, but I want to see a strong ladies field for my trouble.

Custom Title
    The downtown area is perfectly safe during the day and so is the people mover. There is a big police presence whenever an event is going on, people go around in groups, everything is well-lighted and covered by security cameras.

Walking around at night, just find some other people to walk with and use the common sense that you would anywhere. The sides streets are pretty much deserted at night.
    Do we know at this time if events will be held in the day, at night, a mixture?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Since the US must pick someone ranked 1-3, that should mean we are guaranteed at least one of Yuna, carolina, or Mao, but not more than one. Am I correct on this? I wondered how the US was able to select such a weak field last year with few top ladies skaters, so Ashley would have an easier path to the GPF. I forgot that Leonova, was in the top three at worlds in 2012, yet could only manage 7th with a 153 score at SA. I am willing to travel 4 hours to Detroit, but I want to see a strong ladies field for my trouble.
    I'd love to see Gracie at SA but no doubt it will be Ashley again.

Custom Title
    I agree, it will be Ashley. Either is OK with me. I just got to see both at Omaha and in London. I would love to see Zijun again. She will do Cup of China, so I guess there is a 1 in 5 chance she will do SA.

Interestingly, on the news tonight, Spokane is hosting a major volley ball tournement and a major women's basketball tournement this weekend and the local news talked about personal saftey of visitors. The people who stand to make money off the visitors (like restaurants) have demanded a good police presence downtown and Spokane is pulling out all the stops...uniformed and plain clothes officers, K-9 units and gang units will be everwhere. I have seen this at many skating events and it always has been a good investment for the communities to make the visitors feel safe. I bet Detroit does a great job at SA.
    The downtown area is perfectly safe during the day and so is the people mover. There is a big police presence whenever an event is going on, people go around in groups, everything is well-lighted and covered by security cameras. (In fact, Detroit residents complain that in these hard economic times the police department is so diligent in patrolling downtown entertainment venues that there are not enough police deployed in residential neighborhoods.) I go down there all the time, and ride on the people mover, and I never feel uncomfortable.

There is a cool entertainment district called Greektown nearby (maybe a little too far to walk) with a lot of great medium-priced ethnic restaurants.

Custom Title
    Does anyone know if Skate America has ticket pre-sale like Skate Canada had last time at Worlds? I just don't want to miss an opportunity to get good seats..

Apparently the Skate America website will go live on May 20. Here is a link: http://www.2013skateamerica.com/

To add to the congestion in downtown the Detroit Lions football team will be hosting the Cincinnati Bengals at Ford Field (located downtown) at 1 p.m. on October 20th.

Wouldn't it be just hilarious if the Detroit Tigers make it to the postseason like they did last year. The Tigers could end up playing at Comerica Park (also located downtown) on October 20th. Surely, if that happens, Major League Baseball will make it an away game for Detroit!!
    Last edited by MFarone; 05-15-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Add info

Comerica and Ford Field are away from the Joe, so it won't be a real parking lot

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Today the official website for 2013 Skate America went live:

On Monday, June 3, the competitors will be announced and all-event packages will go on sale.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast