Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit

As a Metropolitan Detroiter (certain Novi) I cannot wait! Skate America will be my first skating event ever and I am coming home from college just for it. Unfortunately I work on Monday and will not have Internet access so I was going to have the boyf buy the tickets for me and my mom. Should I be concerned about them selling out? Will the tickets be somewhat of a surprise in what they include (practice, etc)? Any tips will be helpful!

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by parma View Post
    Does anyone know when the skater assignments will be announced this year? Thanks.
    According to the USFSA's Twitter, this coming Monday (June 3rd).

Pista04 if you order the tickets and have them held at will call at the box office be aware that you must show the credit card used to make the purchase and a photo id. If your boyfriend orders on his card and you show up to claim them it will be a problem.

Watching figure skating live is a wonderful experience. Practices are fabulous....you just need about 4 sets of eyes to try and watch everyone at the same time If you are home for the summer you might want to think about attending some of Skate Detroit at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills in July. Skate Detroit is free and parking is free. The rinks are freezing cold and seating is mostly bleachers, but it is still a lot of fun.

They have updated the seating chart and show the NBC camera area and judges area on opposite sides of the rink. I've never noticed that many rows blocked at center ice for cameras but maybe this is a different arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    Watching figure skating live is a wonderful experience. Practices are fabulous....you just need about 4 sets of eyes to try and watch everyone at the same time If you are home for the summer you might want to think about attending some of Skate Detroit at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills in July. Skate Detroit is free and parking is free. The rinks are freezing cold and seating is mostly bleachers, but it is still a lot of fun.
    Practices are the best part! You get to see quite a few full run-throughs, and then you can compare how the skaters did in the actual performances with what you were expecting, based on the practices. The top skaters are well aware that they are being judged, by the (sparse) audience at least, at all times, even in public practices.

About Skate Detroit, although most of the seats are bleachers they are perfectly comfortable and there are no bad seats. You can see the whole rink from either the front rows or the back.

Maybe Alissa will be there, debuting her new short program (assuming she keeps Gone with the Wind for the long).

For that matter, maybe she will be at Skate America with a host pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Practices are the best part! You get to see quite a few full run-throughs, and then you can compare how the skaters did in the actual performances with what you were expecting, based on the practices. The top skaters are well aware that they are being judged, by the (sparse) audience at least, at all times, even in public practices.

About Skate Detroit, although most of the seats are bleachers they are perfectly comfortable and there are no bad seats. You can see the whole rink from either the front rows or the back.

Maybe Alissa will be there, debuting her new short program (assuming she keeps Gone with the Wind for the long).

Custom Title
    AHHHHH I WANT TO GO TO SKATE AMERICA!!!!! Brian Daisuke Evan... and Taka Tatsuki Max Artur Dennis.... though i know it won't happen...

Tripping on the Podium
    Is anyone from Omaha going? Or do you know anyone from Omaha who is going? My dad won't let me go unless someone goes with me and I'm getting kind of desperate here. I'm super worried that the all the hotel rooms will be taken before I can find someone to go with me.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar

I may have to go to Skate Detroit. When will the list of participants be announced? Do you know, Mathman?

(I'm holding back on buying tickets for Skate America. I live close enough, but I am supposed to give a paper at a conference in AZ that same weekend. I would cancel or ask one of my colleagues to read my paper if it were announced that AC is competing at SA.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    I may have to go to Skate Detroit. When will the list of participants be announced? Do you know, Mathman?

(I'm holding back on buying tickets for Skate America. I live close enough, but I am supposed to give a paper at a conference in AZ that same weekend. I would cancel or ask one of my colleagues to read my paper if it were announced that AC is competing at SA.)
    About Skate Detroit, in past years there were quite a few roster changes up to the last minute. I hope MFarone will keep us up to date.

For Skate America, you could give your paper by Skype from the Joe. "So as you see, the gross domestic product of Nepal is 47.2% of...Whoa, Alissa just nailed her triple Lutz!"

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    About Skate Detroit, in past years there were quite a few roster changes up to the last minute. I hope MFarone will keep us up to date.

For Skate America, you could give your paper by Skype from the Joe. "So as you see, the gross domestic product of Nepal is 47.2% of...Whoa, Alissa just nailed her triple Lutz!"
    LOL, for real. If only philosophers had such a grasp on technology.

And, also, I'm going to take your joke as a prediction. The lutz is one of AC's best (most consistent, correct-edge) jumps, which is one of her strengths I think we internet commentators tend to overlook.

Thanks for your reply!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1
    AHHHHH I WANT TO GO TO SKATE AMERICA!!!!! Brian Daisuke Evan... and Taka Tatsuki Max Artur Dennis.... though i know it won't happen...
    Yeah, deedee, I'm with you. Gas up the magic carpet!
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-07-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Fix quote :)

Skate Detroit will be updated on www.sk8stuff.com after the entries close and schedule is created

Does anyone know where the competition practices will be held? Will it be at the Joe Louis Arena, or are they using a practice rink in the area? Also, any idea what the practice schedule might be?

As an update, Alissa will NOT be starting her season off at Grand Rapids Open (which she did before her 2009 campaign). I checked the skater list to see who's in my group and I peeked at Senior ladies as well and she's not going to be there. :( Such a shame. I enjoyed being in the locker room with her in 2009 when she told her coach to stop giving her Broadmoor Open scores...

Custom Title
    The Westin Book Cadillac is completely sold out on 10/19. It's like 4 blocks from the arena.
    Is this where the skaters/families are staying?

I'm thinking about going to cheer for Mao.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast