What programs do you find consoling? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What programs do you find consoling?

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I add my thoughts and prayers for you, skateluvr, along with everyone else's. I hope the beauty of our sport helps you through this difficult time.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
As usual, I drift off topic by including music. Skateluvr, I thought of this on my way home, and it's one of the most sublime pieces of music ever: Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U6sWqfrnTs

I don't know whether any of you are familiar with the Narnia books. Sometimes several of my friends and I try to come up with music that best embodies each character. To me, this is Aslan's music.

Skateluvr, if you listen to it, I hope it brings you the refreshment and solace it brings me.

this was beautiful. so nice, dearest Olympia. thank you and all offerings. i must try to sleep. imagine, the season over. sad to see the programs skated -meryl and charlie were magnificent, yes? so deserving. Also a great carmen by two teams. voir were gorgeous. i love carmen. so triumphant. i never tire of it. time to sleep, perchance to dream. who said that? a play by william S.? i cannot recall.

this was beautiful. so nice, dearest Olympia. thank you and all offerings. i must try to sleep. imagine, the season over. sad to see the programs skated -meryl and charlie were magnificent, yes? so deserving. Also a great carmen by two teams. voir were gorgeous. i love carmen. so triumphant. i never tire of it. time to sleep, perchance to dream. who said that? a play by william S.? i cannot recall.

It's a lovely quote by a character who isn't so lovely: Macbeth. (Edit: Louisa reminds me that this is said by Hamlet, not by the Scottish guy. Whoops! Please feel free to have a laugh at my expense; smiling is always good therapy. Anyway, the Merchant of Venice quote below is still a splendid passage to soothe yourself with, especially set to the music in the YouTube video: see below. Recommended to one and all, whatever your mood or inner needs today!)

You'll be better off with his quote from Merchant of Venice about music, which forms the basis for Vaughan Williams' A Serenade to Music. Here's a recording I've found with soloists instead of a chorus, conducted by Leonard Bernstein. This music is as close to rapturous as anything I've ever heard. Maybe it will help you feel more ready for sleep. You need rest to repair yourself. Remember, we're all thinking of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5K7gw4198A

How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank!
Here will we sit and let the sounds of music
Creep in our ears. Soft stillness and the night
Become the touches of sweet harmony.
Sit, Jessica. Look how the floor of heaven
Is thick inlaid with patens of bright gold.
There’s not the smallest orb which thou behold’st
But in his motion like an angel sings,
Still choiring to the young-eyed cherubins.

Goodness! You're right, Louisa! Mea culpa. I was working on lessons for both those plays last month, and they got tangled in my mind. Whoops!

Thanks for rectifying the error. I should have verified rather than writing that with one eye open at the crack of dawn. I've gone back and placed a correction.

But isn't that Merchant of Venice quote sublime? My favorite part is below. In early days, people thought that the motion of the stars and planets made music. I know that nowadays we know that there can be no sound in space, because there's no air for the sound waves to travel through, but this is such a lovely way to envision the universe, isn't it?

Look how the floor of heaven

louisa05

Final Flight
Goodness! You're right, Louisa! Mea culpa. I was working on lessons for both those plays last month, and they got tangled in my mind. Whoops!

Thanks for rectifying the error. I should have verified rather than writing that with one eye open at the crack of dawn. I've gone back and placed a correction.

But isn't that Merchant of Venice quote sublime? My favorite part is below. In early days, people thought that the motion of the stars and planets made music. I know that nowadays we know that there can be no sound in space, because there's no air for the sound waves to travel through, but this is such a lovely way to envision the universe, isn't it?

Look how the floor of heaven

I used to teach both, as well. Macbeth twice each year. I still have most of both memorized, I swear. Those two and large passages of To Kill A Mockingbird.

Aren't they splendid texts? Lucky you, to get to work with them. And they sure do reach out across the years and inspire us all as if written just for us. (Though my preference is Richard II, with Henry IV Part I not far behind.)

I've often been part of a discussion that centered around the idea of whether it would be more rewarding to be (a) a prolific and successful author (one who could enjoy the satisfaction of creating time and time again) but who maybe never wrote an immortal work, or (b) an author who wrote just one or two works--but one of them was equivalent to To Kill a Mockingbird or Wuthering Heights. (Neither Harper Lee nor Emily Bronte ever wrote any other novel, I think.) You know, I've never decided on a final answer to that question.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I am deeply sorry for your loss. I send my prayers.

Jeffrey Buttle 2008 SOI 'Eclogue for Piano and Strings
-I listen to this music often because it calms me. Gerald Finzi - Eclogue for Piano and Strings

this thread is the best and will be a best of GS that will help us all in times of loss, fear. Art is for the broken sould I feel. I could not get this link sather...i'm a huge Buttle fan. I thought he'd medal in 2010 oly. i adore him-any other link? I love the selections, many I knew many I did not. Bless you all.

sather

Rinkside
Sorry for that broken link here's the right one :)
Jeffrey Buttle 2008 SOI Eclogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgoBjmzl0U
Gerald Finzi Eclogue for piano and strings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQbzZgwfl0

I love him too. It's a great music and a beautiful performance that sometimes make me cry.

Figuristka, My dad suffered from liver cancer last year. I gave him my liver and he survived. I cannot imagine what would have happened without the transplant. I hope your dad gets through it too.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This set, along with Lyra Angelica 1998 Nationals, would be what I would watch
skateluvr, In lieu of flowers, please accept the following programs as a celebration of your mom's life?

Grishuk & Platov Memorial & Requiem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNmarKjyiY

Janet Lynn, who felt her skating was from God, and a gift to the rest of us, respresenting God's promise

Janet Lynn, Afternoon of a Faun,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7kTnyOcPy4

Janet Lynn, 1973
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e59ai1_lY4s

And the most beautiful pairs program ever, IMO
Bereznyah & Sikuralidze Lady Caliph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB2lyUWrEcE

I love janet, was there ever a better free skater? When I think of ladies in her caliber I get two names first Yuka Sato as pro and MK. Her skating is so pure. If skating has a future saint is is janet. Doris, one tech help. I've been watching buts when I can, but all of a sudden the screens on youtube don't allow me to do full screen, so I watch the little size. Its aggravating. Sometimes it goes to full, others not. I want to see the skating full size. I have a macbookpro that is wasted on me. Is this sounding like the synaptic keypad?