Yu-Na Kim says blood on ice was good luck | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim says blood on ice was good luck

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://blog.dramafever.com/2013/03/...ook&utm_medium=wall+post&utm_campaign=df+news

Olympic figure skater Kim Yu Na recently got to meet and chat with 400 fans at an event held in Gangnam. She discussed all sorts of things like how she maintains her diet; her confidence level when she feels well prepared; the idea that if you put your right skate on first, it will result in a good outcome; and of course, how blood on the ice was a symbol of good luck for her.

It was right before one of her performances that she spotted the blood, and assumed that she would have good luck. Of course, every culture has their own little superstitions and whatnot, but to be totally honest, I immediately thought someone got sliced with the blade of a skate. Good thing that wasn’t actually the case! Kim Yu Na explained that right before her performance, Italy’s Carolina Kostner suffered a nose bleed. How very K-Drama of Carolina!

So I guess YuNa is thanking Carolina for her perfect performance and gold medal? I feel like she's living out her Kiss of the Vampire SP! ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hmmmm.....that is odd.....I have often thought about this for reasons I dont understand...maybe it was seeing Jessica Dube getting sliced in the face at four conts. Of course, there is blood on the ice at many events, (Lynn K. cut her leg during practice at SA Kent) and many skaters cut their hands on their blades...I would not be suprised at all if there isnt some sort of superstition about it. We engine mechanics used to think that if you didnt bleed during a major project, it wasnt good luck....
chris

http://blog.dramafever.com/2013/03/...ook&utm_medium=wall+post&utm_campaign=df+news

So I guess YuNa is thanking Carolina for her perfect performance and gold medal? I feel like she's living out her Kiss of the Vampire SP! ;)

There was a video posted of Yuna, Mao, and Carolina shot right after the event. Yuna asks Carolina, "Was it yours?" And Carolina replied, "Yes, my coach slapped me just before I took the ice" (miming a slap) :)

I wonder what blood type Carolina has. Mao Asada and Daisuke Takahashi both have type B. That is why Mao will never give up training the triple Axel -- type B's are too stubborn. ;)

emdee

Final Flight
Carolina had a nose bleed just before skating. It didnt stop and then continued to bleed as she skated. Some areas had a lot of blood. The little girls who do clean up dug it up and held it in their hands - which they shouldnt have. Shouldnt touch others blood without gloves.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, it's worked for Meagan Duhamel! She sliced Craig Buntin's hand in the 2008 TEB and they recovered to win Meagan's first GP medal (a bronze). And at the 2011 Worlds she broke Radford's nose on their twist, and put out a fairly good skate!

b-man

Final Flight
Has anybody ever said what caused the nose bleed? Carolina joked that her coach had hit her, at leaset I took it as a joke, but the timing was certainly odd, at the exact moment she was taking the ice for her FS.