Thread: It has been over a year since I had a soft drink!

It has been over a year since I had a soft drink!

Never saw any weight loss from quitting all and any softdrinks, but it's better for my health! Any other quitter out there?

Custom Title
    Tremendous! It has to help your health. I almost never have soft drinks (I devote myself to the sole vice of chocolate, mostly), but I gave up meat last year (though I do eat salmon still, so Toni says I didn't really give up meat), so I know the feeling of struggle and accomplishment. I temporarily gave up cheese this winter, but I have conclusively proved to myself that I can never be a vegan.

Meat can be fine for you, though meatless is a good way to go also. But there's no good side to sodas and fruit adds...so you win no matter what if you quit using them.

Good for you! I will never forget in college when one of my chemistry profs put a human tooth in a can of Coke and by the end of the lecture, half the tooth was eaten away....
    I gave up on soda pop long ago. I make a strong green tea, and mix 3-4 parts tea with one part 100 percent fruit juice and bottle it. Tea is second only to coffee for a sourse of natural antioxidents.
    (For weight loss, I reccommend buying 20 acres of Ponderosa pine trees and noxious weeds or running dog agility. It keeps myself and my wife thin, anyway.... Anyone want any pine needles and pine cones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Never saw any weight loss from quitting all and any softdrinks, but it's better for my health! Any other quitter out there?

Good for you! I'm trying to wean my husband off of Diet Coke, and encourage him to drink more 100% fruit juice instead.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Great, so long as you drink something else instead. As you get older, you may lose your sense of thirst. Many people get into trouble with dehydration.

Very true. And depending on where you live and work, you need more water...or water with electrolytes....those that fly know that the air is drier than the Sahara desert up there and their immune system can not make enough mucas to defend against viral attack. Just one of the reasons you are 100 times more likely to get a cold while flying than while walking down the street. 100 percent fruit juice is good but still full of sugars...that is why I dilute it with water, tea, etc. Here at 2500 ft in the dry west, we have a saying..."If you wait till you are thirsty to drink, you waited too long."
    Chris who HAS gotten into trouble with dyhydration

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Great, so long as you drink something else instead. As you get older, you may lose your sense of thirst. Many people get into trouble with dehydration.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Very true. And depending on where you live and work, you need more water...or water with electrolytes....those that fly know that the air is drier than the Sahara desert up there and their immune system can not make enough mucas to defend against viral attack. Just one of the reasons you are 100 times more likely to get a cold while flying than while walking down the street. 100 percent fruit juice is good but still full of sugars...that is why I dilute it with water, tea, etc. Here at 2500 ft in the dry west, we have a saying..."If you wait till you are thirsty to drink, you waited too long."
    Chris who HAS gotten into trouble with dyhydration
    Good point and good explanation. These days, coconut water is available, and it's pretty good for electrolytes without adding sugar (though it does have calories, so don't treat it like water). In fact, the best drink is water. One can also dilute fruit juice with water or sparkling water to make for a bit more flavor. Remember also that a constant flood of fruit juice in your mouth is a bit acidic for your teeth. Again, water comes out best in this regard. At work we're lucky to have a water cooler that makes ice cubes, and I always have a glass of ice with some water, which I drink through the day.

But anything is better than soda! In addition to all the sugar, it also has a lot of phosphorus, which goofs up your body's calcium/phosphorus balance. Bad for bones even at a young age.

I went to a 7-11 one day recently and actually looked at the cup that holds a Big Gulp. What is it--800 calories or some such? Of nothing but sugar? And it's the size of a carton of milk! Talk about wretched excess.

Custom Title
    When I was in college, I used to drink 2 cans of Coke a day. I gave soda up about 5 years ago. Maybe have a bit once a year or something, but never look back.
    I switch to a glass of red wine a day now.

I gave up soda years ago. Mainly because of the caffeine in Coke and Pepsi. I used to be a heavy coffee drinker at the time and that coupled with
    the soda left me wired and unable to sleep at night. I cut my coffee consumption down to 1 cup a day gave up the soda. It was much easier
    for me to give up soda than the coffee. I could never get into decaf.

I was getting stomach cramping after drinking softdrinks so that is one reason I quit. Another is two close friends quit and I was like, "They don't even drink them anymore."

Banned
    Agree with you, Soft drink is really unhealthy. "Frankly speaking, soft drinks do not have any nutritional value in terms of vitamins & minerals. They have higher sugar content, higher acidity and more additives such as preservatives and coloring, which are dangerous for health"
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-09-2013 at 06:02 AM.