1984 Olympics: Torvill and Dean's Bolero
    1998 Olympics: Surya Bonaly's backflip

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ffionhanathomas View Post
    1976 Olympics: John Curry's Don Quixote
    1980 Olympics: Robin Cousins
    1984 Olympics: Torvill and Dean's Bolero
    1998 Olympics: Surya Bonaly's backflip
    Was bonaly's backflip kind of like giving the judges the finger or something? I thought it was illegal and she had been warned.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    In short, Yes. It was her last competition & she was planning to retire in any case.

I think Surya had been unhappy with her SP placement. So, since she wasn't going to win, she threw in the backflip that was only allowed in shows. I think she's still the only person who has been able to land a back flip on one foot on ice. Not even sure if any gymnasts do it regularly on a floor or balance beam.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I think Surya had been unhappy with her SP placement. So, since she wasn't going to win, she threw in the backflip that was only allowed in shows. I think she's still the only person who has been able to land a back flip on one foot on ice. Not even sure if any gymnasts do it regularly on a floor or balance beam.
    Yeah, she pretty much flipped the judges the bird. I think she actually waited to do the backflip until she skated right by the judges, in fact. It sure brought a smile to my face as I watched it on TV. Although I very much disagreed with her unsportsmanlike reaction at the 1994 Worlds, because it took away from the moment for the winner, Yuka Sato, this backflip was a different story altogether. Here, Surya was the only one on the ice, and she didn't detract from anyone else's spotlight time. There was something admirable in her "Phooey on you!" action.

I'm not positive, but I think I recall that Rory Flack Burghardt also landed a back flip on one foot. Does anyone else remember? She was a wonderful free skater, and the only other woman I know of who did a backflip.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    The first time I recall seeing a backflip was from Terry Kubika.

Here's a link to his US Nat's LP that took him to the title. In it, Dick Button references its past in show skating, but he believes it was the first time done in amateur competition. Somersault moves were subsequently banned, but at the time it brought down the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-xhlv4T7bM

Also, I don't remember ever seeing another competition in which a judge was brought into conference (on the spot, immediately, in front of the crowd and on national TV) to justify his marks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4