Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "I wish I'd been there when..."

The 1988 Calgary Olympics to see the "Battle of the Brians," G&G, & Midori Ito

1996 Worlds to see Todd & Michelle win the titles, plus Todd putting his gold medal on his mom.

1984, T/D Bolero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2zbbN4OL98 One of those legendary performances that will always remain part of this sport's history....
    1990, Midori Ito Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H6PfFr59M My favourite performance of hers!
    1998, Michelle's Lyra Angelica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPRcajUQrM Another of those legendary performances...
    1998 Olympics, Michelle vs Tara; maybe the most discussed Olympic FS result ever, I would have liked to be there, just to say "I was there, and I can tell you that Michelle was the best!"
    These are the ones that immediatly come to my mind...

Custom Title
    And John Curry's and Toller Cranston's performances in the long program at the 1976 Innsbruck Olympics.

Custom Title
    In the early years of the Olympics and Worlds, there was an event, Mixed (male/female pair) compulsory figures. From the little existing film footage available , it appears to have been a beautiful thing to observe. I would like to have seen Henie skate at her last Olympics and attended the Mixed compulsory figures competition at that Olympics.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    1996 US Nationals Rudy Galindo
    A number of the World Professional events held in Landover, MD, that feature Klimova & Ponomarenko & Torvill & Dean.

And if I can suggest 2 events that I got to see live & still treasure the memories of:
    2003 Worlds (Shen & Zhao Bourne & Kraatz! Michelle , Plush & Goebel!) just a great event
    1984 Worlds (Torvill & Dean Paso Doble OSP & Bolero Underhill & Martini redemption Elaine Zayak bronze, Katarina Wit gold, Scott Hamilton & Brian Orser, but also great skates by Gary Beacom

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    And if I can suggest 2 events that I got to see live & still treasure the memories of:
    2003 Worlds
    1984 Worlds
    You were there?! You saw some of the best performances ever live!

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    1998 Nationals for Michelle's short and long.

1992 Olympics for Paul Wylie's programs

1998 Olympics so I could cry along with Lu Chen live instead of at home

1996 Worlds for ladies, men's and pairs

Custom Title
    Doris, you lucky duck!

Custom Title
    I have been lucky enough to see every major skating star live since 1986 including all OWG until the last 10 years when I could only go to a 2-4 events a year. So for skaters’ performances I did not see prior to 1986, these are the performances I wish I had seen live:
    1976 Innsbruck OWG – John Curry, FS, Toller Cranston FS, Dorothy Hamill FS, Rodnina/Zaitzev FS, and the winning medalists performances of the first time ice dance was competed at OWG.
    1984 Sarajevo OWG, Torvill/Dean OSP, FD, Brian Orser FS, the Carruthers FS
    1979, Worlds Tai&Randy FS, 1984 Worlds Underhill/Martini FS

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    In the early years of the Olympics and Worlds, there was an event, Mixed (male/female pair) compulsory figures. From the little existing film footage available , it appears to have been a beautiful thing to observe. I would like to have seen Henie skate at her last Olympics and attended the Mixed compulsory figures competition at that Olympics.
    I didn't know about the mixed compulsory figures! This sounds fascinating. I've just tried to google this, but with no luck... can you provide a link so that I can explore a little more?

Custom Title
    Michelle's premiere, at the World Pro Competition, of her long program for that season , Lamento d'Arianne. This was her best performance of it for the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIMASKRm_4

Tonto, I'll try to find something for you about the mixed compulsory figures.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I have been lucky enough to see every major skating star live since 1986 including all OWG until the last 10 years when I could only go to a 2-4 events a year. So for skaters’ performances I did not see prior to 1986, these are the performances I wish I had seen live:
    1976 Innsbruck OWG – John Curry, FS, Toller Cranston FS, Dorothy Hamill FS, Rodnina/Zaitzev FS, and the winning medalists performances of the first time ice dance was competed at OWG.
    1984 Sarajevo OWG, Torvill/Dean OSP, FD, Brian Orser FS, the Carruthers FS
    1979, Worlds Tai&Randy FS, 1984 Worlds Underhill/Martini FS
    I like your list! And I'm jealous of your attendance at so many splendid events. (In the nicest possible way.)

I'd like to have attended some of the professional competitions at Landover. There was an unusually high quality of performance at those events, including the splendid pairs programs by Underhill and Martini, the amazing G/G duets, ice dance performances unconstrained by competitive rules, and powerful moments from the likes of Kurt, Paul Wylie, Kristi, Gordeyeva as a soloist, and Yuka Sato. I think Michelle even skated in one, when it was structured as a Pro-Am. I can't remember if that was the year she did East of Eden, 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by zschultz1986 View Post
    MK:

1996 Worlds Short: The epitome.
    Olé!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1imuQWeIi4Q

Custom Title
    OLympia, it was 1998 when Kwan did lamento d'Arianne and east of eden at Landover and the competition that year was called

1998 Equal World Open
    December 11-12, 1998

Isn't it the Isu's complaint that brought this series, as it was formatted then, to an end? THe result was it was restructued to some kind of team format. Too bad.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Underhill and Martini!

That's the reason I started this thread... to remind myself of some amazing skating from a different era.

Some of our younger posters may not be even aware of this team. Here's the program that won them a World Championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTmpfiimoc

If you like a little more sizzle with your steak, check out their professional programs, in particular "Unchained Melody."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast